It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

51st state? Puerto Rico to Vote Sunday on Statehood

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I could have meant that word for word ... if only I were so talented.

I'd have to vote "No." in taking on a new state in so much debt. Not to mention I don't much care for the people I've met from there (and I've met a lot).

edit on 1062017 by Snarl because: My Vote

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Lab4Us
Maybe we can trade Kalifornistan for it?

If we do that, I won't have to get a new flag!

Excellent point!

Think of all the jobs this will create in China for our new flags!

Wasn't proud of that joke by the way.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: METACOMET

Why no shirt, and why leather?

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

True. But it'll make them a bit more likely to support such a thing if a majority of folks in PR vote for it.

Given the past results, I don't think it'll pass muster.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: seasonal

My Step Mom is from Puerto Rico. I have to wonder if they wouldn't do better to vote for independence. Then they could tap into the World Bank, they could ally with the BRICS for money and arms. They could set up Banks to operate as offshore Banks for wealthy US Politicans to launder their ill gotten gains. They could make deals with the Cartels to operate as both a money laundering center and as a way station for the drugs trade.

So many options for profit. But if they just become another State, they'll find themselves no better off than Illinois or Michigan AND they'll find themselves a convenient dumping ground for refugees. Before long, Puerto Rico would become Puerto Ricostan.

I now live in Amsterico, NY. Known by map readers as Amsterdam. I wouldn't mind these chill folks having their homeland as a state. They work on eachothers' houses together. It's a beautiful thing seeing people take full use of the American Dream.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
There would be no vote if they were not broke. Sorry, we have 50 states right now that already need help and adding another would only burden the current system. Where I can sympathize with where they are it is not the job of the US to bail out a statehood that is failing.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: METACOMET

Why no shirt, and why leather?

Genius affords him certain departures from convention.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
We need two more states. Only then will America be playing with a full deck.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Ah yes, add 3.4 million "citizens" to the 11 million illegals looking for freebies. I'll just add another 10 hours to my already 60 hour work week to support some more. I already am paying two college tuitions, might as well put some more through college.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
a reply to: intrptr

Not to mention I don't much care for the people I've met from there (and I've met a lot).

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Or how about splitting up a rather large state, or parts of two states like oh like maybe a State of Jefferson in North California Southern Oregon?

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Meldionne1
But.....according to Obama we have 57 states ??.... ( he he he )...... Personally, I don't think they will vote to become part of the U.S....Puerto Ricans are too proud of their country . ....but if they do vote to become part of the US...will they all learn English?

Every Puerto Rican Ive ever come across in the US could speak English. I have several friends that grew up in Puerto Rico. Theyll probably remain a territory though.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

You do realize Puerto Ricans are already US citizens, right? They have all the privileges and responsibilities you or I have, aside from having to pay income tax.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: tebyen
a reply to: UnBreakable

You do realize Puerto Ricans are already US citizens, right? They have all the privileges and responsibilities you or I have, aside from having to pay income tax.

So couldnt Trump sign a EO granting them probationary statehood?

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Oh man, heads would roll on this site if PR became a full-fledged state. It's not called Welfare Island for nothing (google it, it's an eye-opener)

Personally, I think they'd be better off as an independent country. Aside from the World Bank, they may be able to secure much more lucrative trade deals that way (and thus possibly recover well) than they could as a state. I think they're going to not rock the boat and just stay a territory, though, they've done this vote before and it keeps coming out the same in the end -- territory.
edit on 6/10/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I'm for statehood. As a conservative (not necessarily a Republican), I'll volunteer to move there and help make it a red state.

If they go independent, I fear it will become like Haiti rather than anything else.
edit on 6-10-2017 by LogicalGraphitti because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

(you can do that now)

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

(you can do that now)

Believe it or not, I'm tempted. As long as there's an Internet connection, I can work from anywhere. May as well be on a tropical island with US support.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Does sound inviting, til you live there and it is hot as hell all the time. Plus when the SHTF and people want some one to blame, you got a job and money. Perhaps it is your fault?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join