It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

51st state? Puerto Rico to Vote Sunday on Statehood

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: jefwane
Or how about splitting up a rather large state, or parts of two states like oh like maybe a State of Jefferson in North California Southern Oregon?

We all know the likelihood of that is pretty close to zero point zero.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: tebyen

Tebyen is right, Puerto Rican's get benefits already.

I used to work with a woman from Puerto Rico; she gets housing, food stamps, cash assistance, and lives with her husband (who she doesn't claim) who gets ssdi disability because he was a crackhead. So she gets his income, her sons' and doesn't tell housing or welfare. She once worked an extra job and didn't tell housing, then when they caught her, she threatened them with a discrimination suit. Her daughter got free college as well. She drives a brand new car, and takes several vacations a year. She actually used to complain to me about her friends from Puerto Rico who are raping the system while building homes in Puerto Rico smh

There will also be no need for new flags, as they proudly display their country's flags from their car mirrors usually

edit on 11-6-2017 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Anybody keeping track of this today?

An official count of votes for Puerto Rico's plebiscite on Sunday showed overwhelming support for U.S. statehood, although adding another star to the U.S. flag would likely face an uphill battle in Congress.

A government website for the status referendum, Puerto Rico's fifth since 1967, showed 97 percent of roughly 485,000 votes counted so far in favor of becoming the 51st U.S. state.

www.reuters.com...

I still think they'd be better off as an independent country, but as far as statehood goes...never say never. Look at how long New Mexico fought their uphill battle before they gained statehood.

Quick edit: Here's the poll results from Decision Desk

edit on 6/11/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

This will get interesting, I doubt this would be approved by a Republican Congress and President.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

This will get interesting, I doubt this would be approved by a Republican Congress and President.

If the island's financial sitch was better, it probably would, they're R-friendly down there. However, that giant money-suck problem burying them in debt is going to be their brick wall.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Logically speaking there is NO benefit to the general USA in taking on PR as a new state. In fact there tremendous reasons not to do it. Hopefully logic and sanity will prevail and Congress will reject the demands from PR.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Logically speaking there is NO benefit to the general USA in taking on PR as a new state.

Since when have our illustrious representatives made decisions using our best interests as guidelines?

What I think will occur is the Democrats, who Puerto Ricans favor, will court them while painting Republicans as not loving our poor, broke Caribbean cousins.

edit on 11-6-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: I ♥ cheese pizza.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Be much better if Congress voted to annex Canada, they have lots of natural resources.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee
Be much better if Congress voted to annex Canada, they have lots of natural resources.

I bet if we just asked nicely they would give their country to us, they are in fact very polite people.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

I bet if we just asked nicely they would give their country to us, they are in fact very polite people.

Lmao, you beat me to it XD

I'd feel bad if we ever did that. It's not like we have to strong-arm the good folks up north for the good stuff, the maple syrup flows fairly freely as it is. They tend to jack it from each other, though. Remember that big-ass heist?

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   

The only time I see Canadians getting testy with each other is when they debate the merits of their particular brand of choice for snow machines.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

The only time I see Canadians getting testy with each other is when they debate the merits of their particular brand of choice for snow machines.

Walk into a bar in Vancouver.

Tell them the Habs are better than the Canucks.

Then run like hell.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
You guys better get out your sewing kits.
Seems as we got a new baby brother.

Buck

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Then run like hell.

I think it's cute that we still let them play in the NHL.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Then run like hell.

I think it's cute that we still let them play in the NHL.

Dude, we got them to take the Thrashers in the form of the Jets.

They're damn good neighbors.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: flatbush71
Congress will never approve them joining.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

And Trump will never be POTUS

never say never

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Another_Nut
a reply to: D8Tee

And Trump will never be POTUS

never say never
Since the day he joined the race, I was betting on Trump to win.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join