It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Will Not Block James Comey Testimony

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Big question answered by White House:

Will Trump do the "Executive Privilege" thing with former FBI Director Comey?

Comey is scheduled to testify at the Senate Intelligence Committee inquiry this coming Thursday.

White House says no he won't.

Let it all come out !!!

Why would Trump want to make this an "Executive Privilege" issue anyway ?

Donald Trump Will Not Block James Comey Testimony

President Donald Trump will not exert executive privilege over former FBI Director James Comey as he is set to testify this week on Capitol Hill.

A statement from Press Secretary Sean Spicer released Monday afternoon read:

The President’s power to assert executive privilege is well-established. However, in order to facilitate a swift and thorough examination of the facts sought by the Senate Intelligence Committee, President Trump will not assert executive privilege regarding James Comey’s scheduled testimony.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
To be fair if he did block him it would basically just be as good as admitting that he is guilty of something.

This way if Comey does say something Trump does not like he can deny it or dismiss it as lies and fake news.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
To be fair if he did block him it would basically just be as good as admitting that he is guilty of something.

This way if Comey does say something Trump does not like he can deny it or dismiss it as lies and fake news.

Unless of course, there was "classified" material involved.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
It is possible that Comey now has gotten the message that if he perjures himself, he will be called on it.
It will be interesting to hear his answer when they ask about that memo we have heard so many RUMORS about reported in the MSM.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Trump Will Not Block James Comey Testimony . . .Will Trump do the "Executive Privilege" thing with former FBI Director Comey?

He can't.

He fired Comey; therefore, Comey is no longer under his jurisdiction as a federal employee.
edit on 5-6-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Trump Will Not Block James Comey Testimony . . .Will Trump do the "Executive Privilege" thing with former FBI Director Comey?

He can't.

He fired Comey; therefore, Comey is no longer under his jurisdiction as a federal employee.

He can anyway.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Smart.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Why would trump block him?
Comey has already told congress "it's not happened in his experience" that he was told to shut down an investigation.
www.dailywire.com...-modal
He will not purger himself.
He got fired and now he will have to tell congress trump did not obstruct justice,

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Not only that but in tweeting about the conversation (Comey better hope there are no recordings of that conversation...) and talking about it to the Russian spies he invited into the oval office he can't then claim the conversation was privileged.
Everybody knew that including the Whitehouse staff.
This is a gesture . An empty gesture like a liar yelling "hook me up to a lie detector" when he knows it would be inadmissible in a court of law.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: Liquesence

Not only that but in tweeting about the conversation (Comey better hope there are no recordings of that conversation...) and talking about it to the Russian spies he invited into the oval office he can't then claim the conversation was privileged.
Everybody knew that including the Whitehouse staff.
This is a gesture . An empty gesture like a liar yelling "hook me up to a lie detector" when he knows it would be inadmissible in a court of law.

Wrong.

Everyone new about Fast and Furious, and yet Obama was able to withhold evidence under executive privilege.

Trump could have easily said his personal conversation with Comey was privileged, it doesn't matter if he discussed things related to it in public.

It would have been terrible for Trump to do this, because unlike Obama where the MSM covered for him and let him get away with horrible abuse of executive privilege, they would have devoured Trump.

And just in case your wondering, I don't think Trump or Obama should have been able to use this.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   
We still haven't heard Comey or anyone else confirm that the oft-quoted memo is even real. I find Comey's complete & total silence to be quite curious. I suspect he is walking on very thin ice, legally speaking, and will give a serious of carefully-worked answers that leave everyone frustrated.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Yep that is the absolute truth. Both sides will come out claiming his testimony helped their cause.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Not wrong.
Obama didn't talk about it. Everybody knew but everybody doesn't count. Obama didn't talk about it then claim executive privilege.
trump spoke about the conversation. He made it no longer classified when he gave us that tweet. When he spoke to the Russians and they released the conversation about it it was no longer a classified conversation.
Nope, I'm not wrong.
He didn't claim it did he?
Guess we're at a deadlock as to why.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Can you show me the legal precedent that Trump mentioning the conversation means he cannot use executive privilege?

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Not only that but in tweeting about the conversation

Correct. He can't reasonably claim executive privilege (regarding confidential information) if he himself went public with information regarding that discussion, because going public means it's no longer private or confidential.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
dailycaller.com...

“You told me during an interview that you and Mr. Holder did not authorize the Fast and Furious operation that allowed 2,000 weapons from the United States into Mexico and they were in the drug trafficking [cartels’] hands,” Univision co-host Jorge Ramos asked Obama, according to a translator, during the interview. “I think that up to 100 Mexicans might have died and also American agent Brian Terry. There’s a report that 14 agents were responsible for the operation but shouldn’t the attorney general, Eric Holder, he should have known about that and if he didn’t, should you fire him?” Obama responded with similar talking points his administration has used time and again. “Well, first of all, I think it’s important to understand that the Fast and Furious program was a field-initiated program, begun under the previous administration,” Obama said. “When Eric Holder found out about it, he discontinued it. We assigned an inspector general to do a thorough report that was just issued — confirming that in fact Eric Holder did not know about this, that he took prompt action and that the people who did initiate this were held accountable. But, what I think is most important is recognizing that we’ve got a challenge in terms of weapons flowing south, and the strategy that was pursued out of Arizona, obviously, was completely wrongheaded. Those folks who were responsible have been held accountable. The question now is, how do we move forward with a strategy that will actually work?”

except for telling all of central and south america on univision.....
jesus do you even google anything before you post?

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

It's pointless to respond to that one...Most delusional people are a waste of time. In the end she won't prove anything and just keep saying " no Hun your wrong" just because she says so. Anyway yea I would figure Trump would want Comey to testify if not for anything just to dispel the bogus memo crap we keep hearing about...But it also might be possible if backed into the right corner to get him to admit the FBI has found nothing. That all depends on how much the panel plays hardball with their questions though...And save for a couple members they mostly suck at that.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Comey can go from zero to hero if he does what i suggested in all my previous posts. It's not very likely that it's going to happen but who knows. It's pretty interesting that the MSM suddenly stopped to push the russian collusion narrative any further. I guess now they are all in the dark. I'm bursting with anticipation. I just imagined the confused looks on all of their faces. This is going to be so much fun.

The biggest bombshell in the history of the united states is going to be dropped on all of you. Remember you wanted Comey to testify. Time to get f#cking comfy.

edit on 5-6-2017 by Perfectenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Not only that but in tweeting about the conversation

Correct. He can't reasonably claim executive privilege (regarding confidential information) if he himself went public with information regarding that discussion, because going public means it's no longer private or confidential.

This is a fallacy of the greatest order; going public that a conversation happened; or that during that conversation this particular piece of data was publicly released; does not mean that the rest of that conversation [the parts we DON'T know about] aren't classified still.

There is no logic that supports your claim. A piece of data does not represent the whole, and a conversation usually contains multiple pieces of data.

He could absolutely and within reason; claim executive privilege. The reason why he's not; no doubt -- is that it would be politically bad for him to do that in the current "Anti-Trump" climate. He also maybe doesn't have anything to hide and since he's arrogant; why would he block Comey?
edit on 5-6-2017 by SRPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Conspiracy time: Let's say that the Democrats were secretly hoping Trump would block Comey's testimony, because this would make Trump look guilty. Except that isn't going to happen, and now the Dems are faced with the prospect of Comey actually appearing in a public forum to answer questions.

What happens now? Does Comey suddenly cancel his testimony, citing a sudden case of explosive diarrhea?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join