It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plot holes in the bible and what the motivation for it would be

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
The bible has some wildly entertaining stories about "stuff" and I always find in curious how people are taken by a book that has so many plot holes.

Now saying that the bible we have today is probably nothing like the original and most people that put any faith behind it usually don't take it literally and interpret the stories more symbolic. I get that, I'm not arguing that is right or wrong. What I'm more interested in would be the political motivations behind some of the stories. To me that would be the only reason you would alter the bible. You have no news papers, no one reads, how are you going to get information to the people about what's going on or things that need to change. My conclusion the bible, preachers, and religion.

So classic plot hole I am sure we are all familiar with Lucifer rebelling against god.

God made everything, He's a pretty powerful guy, not to mention he knows everything. Therefore not only did he create Lucifer and the rebelling angels he would know that they were going to rebel. So he could have easily waved his hand and made them all disappear or made angels that wouldn't rebel.

Now I don't remember if this is new testament or old testament but I know it old testament God had a bit of a mean streak. So maybe God is kind of psycho. He created angels he knew would rebel just to send them to hell. Sounds like a pretty loving guy/girl/(?) right?

I'm pretty sure the church wouldn't have had many followers if they knew god willfully like to torture others. Not exactly a good image. I guess on the other hand Hell might not be so bad.

The obvious political motivation would be a cleansing of all other foreign religions and religious practices deemed unworthy. did you know that God didn't only cast out just angels but other pagan gods as well? (what were pagan gods doing in heaven?). Now admittedly those pagan gods were none to nice in the ways in which you had to worship them but they were at one point in heaven.

My favorite plot hole is the story of Job

Again all powerful god has a worshipper who has benefited greatly by following the way of God. Then along comes Lucifer, he makes a wager with him saying he only follows you cause of all the success and material possessions he has. God being all knowledgeable knows why Job follows him yet decides against his better judgement to let Lucifer torment him (kind of f'ed up if you ask me). By that I mean make him sick and lose all his possessions and family. low and behold Job still follows God and Lucifer becomes bored again. Then god gives Job 2x what he had before the wager began.

Moral of the story you follow god you can win the lottery. Although the interpretation of the this chapter is faith in god is its own reward and that material wealth doesn't matter. Its kind of funny God goes completely against that and gives him twice what he had.

Political motivation is pretty similar. A way of keeping followers with this idea that ,somewhat ironically, that following God can bring you great success (wealth).

If you have any favorite plot holes I would love to hear them or if you want to tell me I'm wrong (please be constructive) I would also love to hear that.

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: DiaJax

My favorite plot hole? Eternal life, but you've gotta die first!

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
so far every single believer in this passage has died john 3:16 " for whoever believith in me shall not perish but have everlasting life".

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

How are these plot holes? They seem like twists to me.

A plot hole would be if Lucifer rebelled, and then we never heard of him again till he was suddenly a good guy again.

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

1. Noah's Ark. How the heck to you find a male and female of every animal??? So Noah knows what a male and female earthworm looks like? Then all the animals are on the same boat. Wouldnt the lions eat the zebras, etc.?

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   
The Bible itself is a giant black hole of ignorance.

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   

2. God asking dude to kill his son. If the heavens parted right now and god came down himself and asks me to murder my kids... we arent gonna be friends. Send me to hell, whatever you wanna do, but i aint killing my kids. And how dare you ask me to do such a thing!!! Thats a disgusting way to test someones faith.

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Look2theSacredHeart

I can see why you would say that. I would much prefer them to be twists as well. The problem is it doesn't add up. A plot hole is action that happens that goes beyond logical reasoning. With what is presented either God would having knowingly created angels which he would cast into hell or he wouldn't have created them in the first place. Then God isn't all loving and starts to uproot other parts of the bible. Although I believe the original God stories Painted as him pretty vengeful and petty. Kind of my way or the highway God. Then the whole I made angels just to get rid of them would make sense.

The story of God is far more interesting if he is not all knowing and not all powerful. Having God fallible makes more sense as to why Lucifer rebelled. How do you rebel against some one who knows what your thinking as well as a way to subvert you, it doesn't make sense. Also if God was all powerful you know your campaign against him would be doomed to failure. This paints the angels as idiotic or having a death wish. Again just makes the whole story ridiculous. Hence the reason why people don't treat the bible literally (well most). This is also the reason I believe the original stories were changed for political reasons.

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   
original A book written by men for men ?
Best they can come up with is inspired by god then name the very book its self after kings and the internal books after them self .
The whole thing is a hole why its black .
So many time the god who they say wrote it contradicts him self .
Heck he GOD him self committed the first sin I do believe its considered a sin to lay with your sister or mother or father or brother and who else was there to lay with in eden ?
There reasoning ( perfect people didnt have to follow this law .
Ok so how ever many thousands of years later once again gods pissed and decides man sucks ( in that he was right )
so he decides to flood them out ( a little extreme when all he needed to do was snap his fingers and poof But ok god likes drama .
But at the last mint thinks well maybe just maybe its not such a great idea to kiill them all .
so leaves one I repeat ONE family alive and once again we Human are left with NO choice but to inter breed with brother and sister ( takes kissing cousins to a whole new lv ) .
as for the kill your son to prove your loyalty to me the dude was a a moron .
One of the biggest things that helped turn me away from this crazy god . Yea dont hear from many of us who had faith but woke up .
You really going to follow a dude who kills indiscriminate ? Sodom and Gomorrah .
All vile in the eyes of god the babies and children heck with them .
Nope new testament or no so thy say god chilled out after killing and killing and killing .
And hes all love dove now that makes these crimes ok ?
Funny the bad guy in all this the Devil what is his body count ? Cant find one person the devil acutely killed .
So the good guy killed million upon millions the bad guy no one ??
this dude rules heaven no thanks .
Frankly even if this god was as good as they say he is i still have NO desire to live in this stril heaven you dream of were gold is every ware and a blad of grass will be worth any amount .
Ps nore in any hell being tortured for ever which again god created ether is torture to me .
Nuts i tell you humans are nuts If there is a god he is as meaningless as aliens and until ether do anything to acutely change this world ill stick with it does not matter god or not .
A all powerfull god who only use his power for killing is useless to us ( unless of coarse you like death )

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Idreamofme

2. God asking dude to kill his son. If the heavens parted right now and god came down himself and asks me to murder my kids... we arent gonna be friends. Send me to hell, whatever you wanna do, but i aint killing my kids. And how dare you ask me to do such a thing!!! Thats a disgusting way to test someones faith.

The ignorance of your supposition

God was never going to allow Abraham to kill his son

3 In the morning Abraham got up and saddled his donkey. He took Isaac and two servants with him. He cut the wood for the sacrifice. Then they went to the place where God told them to go. 4 After they traveled three days, Abraham looked up, and in the distance he saw the place where they were going. 5 Then he said to his servants, “Stay here with the donkey. The boy and I will go to that place and worship. Then we will come backto you later.

God never called for human sacrifice, ever
Abraham knew it

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

...the bible we have today is probably nothing like the original...

Not arguing with your overall tenor, just something specific to this. There was never an "original" version of the Bible as the Bible is a composition from many sources compiled over centuries.

However, it's an astute assumption that various sources were canonized and others weren't for what could be perceived as political reasons.

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

22 Some time later God tested Abraham. He said to him, “Abraham!”

“Here I am,” he replied.

2 Then God said, “Take your son, your only son, whom you love—Isaac—and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you.”

(Sorry for being ignorant. Ill go to church more to refreshen my memory)

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ABNARTY

Not arguing with your overall tenor, just something specific to this. There was never an "original" version of the Bible as the Bible is a composition from many sources compiled over centuries.

However, it's an astute assumption that various sources were canonized and others weren't for what could be perceived as political reasons.

ahh that very interesting and insightful.

I assume the original stories actually made sense.

Then over the years altered them to meet the current needs of the time. Unfortunately when you have one book people know very well it must of gotten harder and harder to alter it over the years.

Just makes you wonder what they left out and why. Probably end up with an interesting history lesson.

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Plot holes are like where Jesus is 12 years old in a synagogue and then it jumps to him being 33 years old. There's literally 18-21 years of Jesus' life that's unaccounted for. That's a plot hole. What you're talking about are plot twists.
edit on 1-6-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: SpeakerofTruth

A plot hole is something that defies logical reason within the framework given. A Being who knows everything that doesn't know something.

A plot twist is something happened that you didn't expect but still makes sense within the framework that has been laid out. The Sixth Sense the movie has a great plot twist (sorry don't know a bible plot twist off the top of my head). I would explain further but I don't want to ruin the movie for anyone. Great twist.

When they don't release Jesus from prison and choose that other guy was that a plot twist? Sorry about the vagueness
edit on 161717 by DiaJax because: thought of a potential bible plot twist

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Lucifer is not a character in the Bible to have a plot for and a plot hole in his tale.

Halal means Shining One and is a Babylonian King, ben Shachar is son of the Morning Star.

As in the planet Venus.

From the Canaanite myth of Shachar and Shalim, Day and Dusk stars. Goddesses.

It's a mistranslated misinterpretation or reverse the order either way it is not a plot hole just something no longer relevant due to error being known.

Grab a translation not the KJV or NIV and show me the word Lucifer.

He has no Jewish equivalent Satan didn't rebel in the Bible he does what he is allowed only.

Other than that as for plot holes there are 100's of Rabbinical Midrashim in addition to Zohar literature and Talmud that fill in these gaps.

You have a virtually ignored genre of Apocryphal books both pre-Christian and post, most originally Jewish compositions.

While Christians ignore this literature the Rabbis took everything useful and put it into the Talmud.

There is more Apocrypha than Canon for Christians. 4 books telling one story 4 ways plus some letters that know nothing about the Gospels and an Apocalypse.

The problem is the Apostles got pushed aside to make way for Acher-Saul-Paul-Simon Magus-ben Abuyah.

The Talmud actually talks about Paul as ben Abuya or Acher meaning other, as in uses an other name than his real. And that he corrupted the teachings of Jesu. And more.

It fills in a lot of holes that Christians know nothing about.

So does the Apocrypha of the New Testament in Ante-Nicene father vol 8.

Anyway Jews are comfortable reading the Midrash books to fill in holes and Zohar and Talmud are sacred scripture to many and most Rabbis and Jews.

Pastors don't want their flocks knowing what IS in the Bible.

Never mind what is not.

2 ways to lose a sheep, two kinds of knowledge, none good for the herders.

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I cannot attest to all the various "stories" in the Bible. Many are simple allegories recycled from even older sources.

I would agree once a culture gets locked on to a "version", it will take more and more effort to alter the course.

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Disturbinatti

Its very interesting that you mention that some of the Jewish books have knowledge that would clarify one of the examples I used. Back in the day weren't the Jews and the Christians at odds with each other. This might be another reason why the texts might have been altered or certain information been omitted. Fighting between the religions would be another valid motive to change the text.

For argument sake an error in the flow of a story is a plot hole. Regardless, your telling me that the story was incorrectly represented therefore in the "original" there is no plot hole. You wouldn't happen to know where I could read that story or would I have to know Hebrew?

This is another element of all these religious texts that have existed over the years you have to know several languages to properly understand them. No wonder some of stories make no sense some of the information was lost in translation.

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Back in the day?

That has hardly changed. They just don't muder Jews anymore but still they hate each other, except the foolish Xtian Zionists.

You know hate doesn't die, the less heard the more it exists with hate...one day BAM!!!

Crusades, Spanish genocide of 1492 and the earlier one in Jerusalem, South American, Native Americans wiped out.

Europeans LOVE genocide.

That has nothing to do with books with information that help, if you can't get over your hate to read another religous book that might teach you something you are very childish and immature.

I am Muslim I read Zohar, Apocrypha, not Talmud but I do read sections from time to time.

The rest I have the whole collection of and plenty of Muslim literature too.

Glass half empty?

Focusing on what you are is what causes what you are focused on. Yes it's paradoxical but you are not helping by focusing on the feuds, get a more positive interest than ''Beef."
edit on 1-6-2017 by Disturbinatti because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Disturbinatti

Whoa, whoa, who said I wouldn't read a book. I was just saying if its in Hebrew how can I read it?

Specifically when we were talking about how mistranslations are apart of the problem. Also cause your more familiar with the material that's why I was asking you information about it. I don't know therefore i'm asking for your help. I'm not trying to be ignorant here I literally just don't know.

Also I was unaware that Jewish people and Christian people didn't like each other. I have Jewish friends I have Christian friends we all get along. That's why I thought it was related to a historical event.

Basically this whole thread is about the validity of the bible stories and for what reason they don't make sense. If you could help me shed more light on that I would be more then willing to start the reading.

The foundations of most religion's are based on fundamental truths about life but somewhere along the line the stories get altered and foundation that these religions were founded on are longer as sturdy as they once were. I'm just trying to figure out why. I'm sure a person 2000 years ago would have understood a plot hole as big as that one I described. So its reasonable to assume that they had different stories back then. I just want to know the original if it exists.

edit on 161717 by DiaJax because: its like there has to be one error in every post

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join