It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Teen "Cookie Monsters" Sued and Fined for Good Deed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
A Colorado court has ordered the parents of two teenaged girls to pay $900 dollars in medical expenses. Their crime? The two girls tried to surprise their neighbors with homemade cookies and in the process startled one so badly she needed to go to the hospital. Despite the parents offer to cover the medical bills, the startled woman sued seeking punitive damages. The judge in the case declined to award those damages.

www.cnn.com
DURANGO, Colorado (AP) -- Two teenage girls who surprised their neighbors with homemade cookies late one night were ordered to pay nearly $900 in medical bills for a woman who says she was so startled that she had to go to the hospital.

Judge Doug Walker declined Thursday to award punitive damages, saying he did not believe the girls acted maliciously.

Taylor Ostergaard, 17, and Lindsey Jo Zellitti, 18, baked the chocolate chip and sugar cookies one night last July.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The level of litigation in the U.S. is bordering on crazy. What exactly is wrong with people? This woman is out of control and clearly was chasing the dollars. I understand that people have panic attacks, but to sue two kids cause they made some cookies as surprise? That is way out of control.

[edit on 4-2-2005 by Banshee]

[edit on 2/5/05 by FredT]

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Why doesn't this type of thing just get laughed out of court? Come on... who freaks out over Cookies from little girls?

I imagine the karma kickback on this woman will be severe. The lawyer who would take this case is the very type of thing that is wrong with much of the way America currently does things.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
This is on the level of a burglar suing because they tripped on something while breaking into a home. The trial lawyers in this country have to be contained. I hope Bush can get something meaningful out of Congress.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
After seeing things like this its no suprise apathy runs rapant throughout society. It just doenst pay to care and be nice to others lest you get sued like in this case. What ever happened to people just dealing with something and not feeling the need to go to court about it. When the old lady is choking to death in a resteraunt and some young girl declines to help her out, maybe she will realize there are some things more important than money.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
this is rich....

I guess that's why a lot of people turn to arbitration.....

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Don't forget the woman who tried to kill herself by throwing herself in front of a train, then sued the compnay because it didn't kill her, and WON 10million dollars. Or two cheerleaders sued to get back on the team after being kicked off for drug use, alchohol, and prostitution, and won. Or the fat asses suing McDonalds for selling them food. Watch the judge shows on tv, they are great! One was a family was suing a woman who crashed her car into their house, she told them to sue her b/f cause she was trying to run him over with the car when he ran into the house to escape.(not really bad lawyers or anything, but shows the stupidity of people)

Anyways, It is sad that they were sued.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
(I'm on a roll... nothing personal... your thread is next.)

Don't you see what's happening here? Every year the news gets more and more trivial in it's predication of the ruinous decline of America...and we gobble it up, get angry and proceed to demand the very changes in government they wanted in the first place!

A couple of derelict girls didn't scare that woman. The news did. NAY, the government did! It's the 24/7 war on terror and the corporate media propaganda arm of the White House committed to bringing it in your grandmother's living room that did this. I'd have been scared too!

Wanita Renea Young, 49, said she was at her rural home south of Durango around 10:30 p.m. when she said saw "shadowy figures" outside the house banging repeatedly on her door.

She yelled, "Who's there?" but no one answered, and the figures ran away.

Home invaders! Terrorists! Nothing about cookies, but hey... the irony of the girls "excuse" put in the headline (all we read anyway) makes it all the more politically attractive as "news" right?

Why political? What's the typical reaction they expect you to have? Why this one of course!!

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The trial lawyers in this country have to be contained. I hope Bush can get something meaningful out of Congress.

That's right. It's the damn advocates of people that the people need to be protected from. Why? Because otherwise the liberals will ban girls baking cookies as part of a feminazi plot. It's true. I heard it on Rush... I mean ATSNN.

Stop with the trivial plentiplaints people. You don't give up your rights as Americans to sue irresponsible Pharmcos and greedy HMO's because CNN or FOX pick up some titilating (but meaningless) news story about cookies fed to them by a "source" with a politcal agenda. It's conditioning. After enough of the tiny little complaints-a-plenty (that affect you none in the least) make the water cooler rounds, by God we have ourselves a movement!

CATPROLCACLBFC(AB): Citizens Against The Protected Right of Legal Counsel and Civil Lawsuits but FOR Cookies (and Bush)!

Who could be against cookies? Commies, that's who.

My God, string enough out of context "news" stories like this together and we'll have ourselves an episode of The O'Reilly Factor.

[edit on 4-2-2005 by RANT]

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
This is ridiculous.

Well, theres only one way to go now ... Imagine if the old woman suffers a serious illness (red hot poker springs to mind).

Old woman: "I need to go to ER or I'll be dead in a few minutes. Please phone 911"

Kids: "Sorry - last time we did you a favour you sued us. If we help now, we could well get the same. You're on you own."

Old woman prompty dies and spends eternity in Hell with horrible demons who torment her no-end with cookies stuck on the end of their pitchforks

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I think a large paper bag full of dog poo and some matches are in order here.

[edit on 4-2-2005 by HowardRoark]

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Granted, lawsuits like these are ridiculous, and are a part of a greater problem in western civilization.

But I wonder who thought it would be a bright idea to knock on a stranger's door at 10:30 pm. I personally would be p/o'd at having to answer a door at that time of night for something trivial like cookies.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 01:35 AM
link   
heres a funny site related to litigation

members.ozemail.com.au...

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I wonder if Dubya plans to sue the pretzel company for attempted murder

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 05:31 AM
link   
shame you're a mod RANT i would have given you a vote for making me chuckle

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
I wonder if Dubya plans to sue the pretzel company for attempted murder

Now, the question is, would he win? Is he helpless enough to win this in court?

top topics

join