It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should white chefs sell burritos? A Portland food cart’s revealing controversy.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
My guess is the majority of the people that have problems w/ this aren't hispanic.
If they are, I wonder what percent of their customer base they just alienated.

That would be if white folk had any nuts to take offense at something like this.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oaktree
My guess is the majority of the people that have problems w/ this aren't hispanic.
If they are, I wonder what percent of their customer base they just alienated.

That would be if white folk had any nuts to take offense at something like this.

Well I would hope the white folks that will get offended will place their anger in the right direction.

More often than not this type of SJW whining about cultural appropriation comes from wealthy white people who want to virtue signal how cool they are.

I guarantee most hispanic people would laugh at this and just want to be treated like anyone else.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

There is nothing stopping these people who are up in arms about cultural appropriations from sending $$$ to the disadvantaged ethnic source country.

buy a taco-send $1 to the Mexican govt

eat some spaghetti- send $1 to Italy

rinse repeat

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: seasonal

I'd wish for the Cascadia Subduction Event to wipe the area clear of all this stupidity. . . . but I live there.

I live in Retardistan.

Cause I'm praying for rain
And I'm praying for tidal waves
I wanna see the ground give way.
I wanna watch it all go down.
Mom, please flush it all away.
I wanna see it go right in and down.
I wanna watch it go right in.
Watch you flush it all away.

Time to bring it down again.
Don't just call me pessimist.
Try and read between the lines.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't
Welcome any change, my friend.

I wanna see it all come down.
Bring it down
Suck it down.
Flush it down.

~tool

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: amazing

As long as the burrito is good, I couldn't care less who makes it...

I'm going to guess you run a martial arts studio/dojo, of some sort??

Yeah! LOL

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler
You make a very good point.
I'd hate to see hard working restaurant owners face any kind of backlash because of some do-gooders who cause more problems than they solve.

Restaurants are a tough enough business, no one needs this, no matter what the race.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I think the real truth is that people who are involved in this madness are in fact very rare and represent a tiny number of people. I think it's more an attention seeking tool, than them truly being on a mission of accomplishment. Over time I suppose they come to actually believe it, but in the end it's actually a product of low self-esteem.

Even worse than those involved are the members of the media who give them the attention and egg it on with their click bait reporting.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

We run the risk, when we marginalize these issues, of not placing the importance that we should.

It's not just a one-off.

It's not just a "few people".

Almost daily, we see this or issues like this from all parts of the country.

It's a trend that is growing.

In my opinion.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I'm not so sure it does involve very many people. In my day to day life I've never once ran into anyone who does anything but scratch their heads or laugh at them or about them.

Stories like this make good click bait for the media and they seek out things like this. It makes it appear to be more than it really is.

I know that a business, any business, can be wiped out by a single angry person with ill intent and the local media will eat it up and not give a damn.

Where I think the real problem lies is not in the numbers actually involved, it's in the number of people who love the drama and keep the media reporting and even encouraging through the reporting about these nut jobs as if it were newsworthy.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

This "success" at shutting down a business will encourage others to do the same.

I live in the Portland area. It's not getting "nicer" or even better here.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

The opposite of what America is all about.

Cultural appropriation is an issue... but not with cuisine. Cuisine is a craft, not a fashion statement.

Cultural appropriation is not an issue, not it's not. I can wear what ever I want; celebrate what ever I want; eat what ever I want, and still not be a racist or be harming a "race" wtf....

Does it hurt anyone if I as a white guy got buzzed on Cinco? Like get real man.... You can't steal a holiday, it cannot be done -- you can only participate or not participate; and anyone telling me I'm not allowed to participate because of the color of my skin is legitimately a racist.
edit on 31-5-2017 by SRPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   

How about all non-whites stop working in places hat sell burgers, or fried chicken, or pizza, or pasta, etc?

What utter nonsense!! Food is food. How dare these whiny babies demand we not "appropriate" "their" culture", while at the same time demanding that we accept said culture?? Someone needs to tell these people where to stuff it. And the where isn't in a burrito.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   
TexMex. What now?

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I wonder if the cultural appropriation people feel the same way about this.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Can't I self identify as any sex, any culture, any class on a daily bases? So what is the big deal?

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 01:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
Please tell me that we have not reached the bottom of the pit of sanity.

Who falls for this madness?

How the hell have we become so damn gullible and so damn brainwashed. What next BS are they going to sell the masses on?

I don't think I can take anymore. Bring on the aliens.

This is directly ordered by them, nice now they have permission to soon show themselves.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

so our governments have been appropriating alien tech since the 50's

hahahah aliens are behind this because soon the embargo on disclosure will be lifted and i hear they have these edibles that are better than burritos and they dont want anyone profiting off the alien food

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Portland, Ore., has become the epicenter in a growing movement to call out white people who profit off the culinary ideas and dishes swiped from other cultures.

Someone in the City of Roses has even created a Google doc, listing the white-owned restaurants that have appropriated cuisines outside their own culture. For each entry, the document suggests alternative restaurants owned by people of color. One “Appropriative Business” is Voodoo Doughnut, the small doughnut chain accused of profiting off a religion thought to combine African, Catholic and Native American traditions.
www.washingtonpost.com... w&utm_term=.31a004e5f563

Ok in a nut shell, if you are not of the culture the food that you are cooking (a chef), then STOP.

You are stealing from said culture.

One enterprising person has created a "black list" of restaurants to not visit because the people who own the restaurant are white ( I assume) and gives a suggestion of an alternate restaurant owned by a person of color. Cool huh?

The story only talks about white screwing minorities. But would this apply to minorities that cook hamburgers?

I hate this whole concept of cultural appropriation. I am a mixed-race minority, half hispanic/white. To dig deeper, I'm french, spanish, and native american. I enjoy many aspects of different cultures around the world. If these "cultural appropriation" people had their ways, then does that mean I can only enjoy things from France/Spain/N.A. culture?? Am I not allowed to love italian food anymore?? Am I not allowed to watch anime anymore?? Should I stop speaking the english language since I'm not from England??

I always keep hearing people online say that Trump is the one setting us back 50 years, but in all honesty, it's not Trump, it's the american people setting us back 50 years. They're the ones claiming "blacks can't be racist". They're the ones claiming "cultural appropriation" in a country that was referred to as the "melting pot". They're the ones fighting racism with more racism by segregating whites. They're the ones that don't want to address violence itself as a whole, just the ones where they can play the "race card".

How much you want to bet that anyone who believes any of this bull# being spewed around the country lately also love mexican food. It makes me want to smack those burritos out of their hands and tell them to stop appropriating my culture. Maybe then they'll see how idiotic they are.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Born in Mexico, have been eating Mexican food all my life and I could care less who makes my burrito, taco, chilles rellenos, enchiladas etc.. as long as it tastes good, even the taco bell tacos, not "authentic" but I still eat taco bell from time to time. I'm willing to bet 99% of Mexicans will not care if a Burrito is made by anyone other than a Mexican, as long as it is good and not ridiculously expensive.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   

See these people are against a "melting pot" culture and good restaurants, who cares who owns or cooks for them.
If a white person likes a certain ethnic food and goes to cooking school then decides to open a eatery, great.

These places already have the highest failure rate of any business already let's not make that much harder on them by imposing pure insanity.
Also the original families sometimes sell there restaurants, I know a Greek family that sold there restaurant to East Indians, incidentally a year later it was out of business after 20 successful years in the community.

America has truly gone insane.
edit on 31-5-2017 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join