It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should white chefs sell burritos? A Portland food cart’s revealing controversy.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

I'm starting to hope that aliens come and save us or enslave us soon

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Give me a break.
That's really racist of them.
So by that logic Mexicans can't own BBQ places
I guess ? & the Hamburgesa on the menu
at most Mexican restaurants will have to go.
Which is too bad because Mexican restaurants
make a great cheese burger.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I have one question.

If it is cultural appropriation for a white person to cook Mexican food, is it also cultural appropriation for a white person to eat Mexican food?

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnderKingsPeak
So by that logic Mexicans can't own BBQ places

Let's visit this Barbecue situation

Barbacoa is a form of cooking meat that originated in the Caribbean with the Taíno people, from which the term “barbecue” derives.

In contemporary Mexico, it generally refers to meats or whole sheep slow-cooked over an open fire, or more traditionally, in a hole dug in the ground covered with maguey leaves, although the interpretation is loose, and in the present day (and in some cases) may refer to meat steamed until tender. This meat is known for its high fat content and strong flavor, often accompanied with onions and cilantro.

In the U.S., barbacoa is often prepared with parts from the heads of cattle, such as the cheeks. In northern Mexico, it is also sometimes made from beef head, but more often it is prepared from goat meat (cabrito). In central Mexico, the meat of choice is lamb, and in the Yucatan, their traditional version, cochinita pibil (pit-style pork), is prepared with pork.

Barbacoa was later adopted into the cuisine of the southwestern United States by way of Texas, which had formerly been a part of northern Mexico.

The word transformed in time to "barbecue", as well as many other words related to ranching and Tex-Mex cowboy or vaquero life. Considered a specialty meat, some meat markets only sell barbacoa on weekends or holidays in certain parts of South Texas and in all of Mexico. Barbacoa is also popular in Florida, as many Mexican immigrants living there have introduced this dish. Barbacoa is also well known in Honduras.

Who gets what based on origin might be a bit blurred...

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

If I were to open a restaurant I would serve the foods that I cook best. Those foods that I cook best are not always foods from my own particular mix of cultures. Should it matter? No! All that should matter is that the food is good, the restaurant is clean, the service is fast and friendly and that all health codes are followed.

My cultural background is a complex mix of Dutch/Russian/Cajun/Native American but I was raised among people of ALL cultures and cook the things I like best from each of them and if somebody doesn't like it they can kiss my backside! To hell with the SJW wannabe police!

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

It's how many superpowers fall. From within.

You've hit the nail on the head with that observation.

It amazes me that these useful idiots, 'cause someone's going to use 'em--they're too stupid not to be useful tools, can not, or will not see that they're actually doing the opposite of what they profess to believe--being all inclusive.

Someone, if they haven't already begun, will take advantage of this. Now that I think on it, they already have been for some time.

Best Mexican food I ever had was cooked by a Mormon who learned the art while on a mission some years back. It's to die for.

I'm going to ignore them into oblivion, I'd urge y'all to do the same. This level of stupidity isn't self sustaining...I hope.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I read about this the other day. Totally idiotic.

If I want to start a Burrito stand or if anyone wants to do that, they should be able to without any condemnation from anyone.

I understand it comes under the Cultural Appropriation outrage, but really. Who cares?

I teach a number of Japanese and Chinese techniques in my daily business. It's blatant Cultural Appropriation, I'm not Asian. I also teach Filipino and Indonesian techniques with a little Okinawan and Native Hawaiian Techniques.

Shut me down.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Wait. There are minorities in Portland? Where?

All joking aside, Portland, Oregon is the whitest place I've been since Ireland. Why is it that the anti-white sentiment primarily comes from yuppie white folks who sit in their coffee shops, tweeting about BLM on their iPhones and iPads, all while writing a tumblr essay on white privilege on their MacBooks?

This white guilt BS needs to stop. The white race as a whole has never done anything wrong to anyone. Members of the white race have committed atrocities, just as members of all races have committed atrocities.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Should Non Italians Cook Italian Food ? Should Non Americans Cook American Food ? See where this is Going ? ..........

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Now if you believe in conspiracies (you are here) some may wonder if there is something going on other than this poorly conceived cultural appropriations.
I this a slide of hand? Is there something else going on that the media decided to go with this story?

In other words is this cover for another story that we are missing?

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Now if you believe in conspiracies (you are here) some may wonder if there is something going on other than this poorly conceived cultural appropriations.
I this a slide of hand? Is there something else going on that the media decided to go with this story?

And it could be, but something seems real about this story to me. Or They got some bad reviews/feedback and didn't have the heart to fight back. Going with your slant, someone with a grudge wanted them out of business and they weren't strong enough to fight it.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Okay, that's it. We are one species on one planet. Period. Why do we define ourselves by imaginary lines made up by people long dead. "Oh, you were born on that side of the rock? Well you must then be inferior to me." Humanity only moves forward under duress. Give us complacency and peace and we start to fail.

I was watching a video on Facebook. It was about a young girl asking why another girl and her mother were black. Seems like a great teaching moment. However the mother said everyone was black on the inside. No, we are not. We are all red and gooey on the inside. Okay, how about this, we are all human on the inside. Our genetic differences do not make one better than the other. We must teach our children that even though there is a diversity in skin color, we are all the same underneath. Skin color no more determines one's worth than eye color or hair color. Annnnnd I am ranting.

Please let us all just identify as human. I understand that there are many who can't but can we at least try?

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   
nonwhites shold only use non flour tortillas.

Fair is fair since we have become retards.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

It's laying the groundwork for segregation at the insistence of the public- but in a supposed "non-racist" way. People that call themselves social justice warriors but are not. They are merely puppets for the uber-rich recreating the past using different tactics. The DNC tries to distance itself publicly from it's racist roots but they are becoming very evident again- and the majority of their average membership are completely unaware of what is happening.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

As long as the burrito is good, I couldn't care less who makes it...

I'm going to guess you run a martial arts studio/dojo, of some sort??

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
This is such a non-issue. I can't stand pc hipster douchebags.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   
This is silly.
As others have mentioned, what about the workers?
Not owners?
Gotcha.
If we were to take it further and vice versa....

So mexican restaurants, no beef. Anything.
Chinese own that.
No pork, Chinese again.

As much as I love me a cold Tecate, bummer for me.
Egypt, if not earlier, own beer.
No beer for you!

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Seeking equality through exclusion is proof we are devolving.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
The people that dream up this rubbish should be put into camps.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

Eveyone is seeking self segregation

The problem is that the reflex from members of the majority is simply to be offended. Because human psychology. Perhaps more importantly, "cultural appropriation" isn't really the issue — it's just a symptom. In other words:

Inequality is not the result of cultural appropriation — cultural appropriation is the result of inequality.

Well it seems people of Asian decent do better than white ones on almsot every scale, so perhaps it would make more sense to list all asian owned restaurants to boycott.

You are wrong that I may be able to appreciate where these people are coming from. I don't justify racism by thinking it comes from a well meaning place. Thats what white racists say too, and they, just like the anti white racists promoting this garbage, are disgusting and should be shouted down.

I hope that you would join me in doing that.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join