It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should white chefs sell burritos? A Portland food cart’s revealing controversy.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: pteridine

my families came from Northern Italy so the Pesto Polizia and Risotto Patrol will be checking your supper table to make sure that you haven't illegally appropriated that which is not yours.

sigh - I have been to Milano and surrounding areas and Southern Italy - guess what - after 4-5 tries you can keep your polenta!!!

Polenta is just corn meal with leftovers in it. Restaurants in NYC have been hosing their clientele with expensive corn meal for a while. I laugh at the sophisticates who pay $25 for 10 cents worth of corn meal cut with a string. Polenta is an economy food, much like any so called Mexican food [burritos, tacos, etc.] is food for the poor. Real Mexican food is very good and quite different from what is sold at Taco Bell. Corn was developed in Mexico, so we will not be having any non-Mexican corn recipes.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
What about chopsticks, I find them difficult for smaller items such especially after a shandy or two - is it now no longer acceptable to ask for a fork? After all you're no longer eating with the correct utensils which can be deemed culturally offensive,

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

very interesting post

This is being done for a reason. Your idea of them getting taken down m=by their own rules is a good one.

Exactly -- this just struck me as sooooooo ridiculous that I started wondering what the greater long-term effect might be. So my first thought was Alinsky's Rules seem to be in play, and private intellectual property rights would be the target.

For the true fascists trying to establish genuine fascism, it's really not about empowering the little guy, but empowering government... "no property rights for you bad cultural appropriating deplorables! We'll take care of it ALL."

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

So blacks can't cook burritos either?

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

More lost respect.

Who even thinks this deserves more than a laugh?

Mexican "tortas" arent mexican, Mexican bread isnt, and so on. Milanesas....arent from Milan though.

What the hell is white people food?

Where do they fit in? Are blacks supposed to find "African" food?

So racist.....

edit on 5 30 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Portland, Ore., has become the epicenter in a growing movement to call out white people who profit off the culinary ideas and dishes swiped from other cultures.

Someone in the City of Roses has even created a Google doc, listing the white-owned restaurants that have appropriated cuisines outside their own culture. For each entry, the document suggests alternative restaurants owned by people of color. One “Appropriative Business” is Voodoo Doughnut, the small doughnut chain accused of profiting off a religion thought to combine African, Catholic and Native American traditions.
www.washingtonpost.com... w&utm_term=.31a004e5f563

Ok in a nut shell, if you are not of the culture the food that you are cooking (a chef), then STOP.

You are stealing from said culture.

One enterprising person has created a "black list" of restaurants to not visit because the people who own the restaurant are white ( I assume) and gives a suggestion of an alternate restaurant owned by a person of color. Cool huh?

The story only talks about white screwing minorities. But would this apply to minorities that cook hamburgers?

Why should a chef stop cooking food? Its their job. Why does it matter if the color of their skin isn't culturally appropriate for the food they're cooking? Seems to me that he was just doing a better job at it and someone got offended.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
White food is easy:-

Breakfast - Full English / bacon bap
Lunch - sandwich (we invented the crap outta those)
Tea - roast dinner/Lancashire Hotpot/pies
Pudding - sticky toffee pud/ apple pie
Refreshments - tea (claiming that)/ dandelion & burdock and thousands of beer options

A man could eat like a king. Die young of heart disease - but still eat like a king.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

"Who even thinks this deserves more than a laugh? "

It's not that this isn't funny in a sick sad pathetic way,but the fact is- it is just another page in the book of anti-white ethnic hatred and vilification being continuously written for quite a number of years now,and that book gets thicker every day.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Well dont worry To get a buritto ( a real Mexican burttio ) You will need to travel to new mexico or alest southern Texas .
I been in Arizona real Mexicans real Mexican food .Bring lots of water .
what taco bells sells isn't Mexican any more then i am Chinese .Heck the Chinese joints dont sell Chinese food even .
What you think they have a buffay full of beef in china ? omg lol
Nope you want Chinese you want Mexican you want Italian real food then get one as a friend and eat over there homes .
I have ( ps its bad manners to turn down food offers and if you do scratch one friend .
Trust me it will be a experience

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Wow just wow. Since when Burritos were made a racial issue ?

Peace

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Seed76

According to the story it is another culture taking from another (white taking from "colored, again from the story) culture.

I think these self inflecting idiots were not Punched in the nose enough when growing up.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar

I have ( ps its bad manners to turn down food offers and if you do scratch one friend .

This is too funny, but has some truth.

I used to work with a guy that had a falling out with his friend. He came over one day while they were eating. He invited his friend to join him and his family at the table. He refused and said he would just watch the game while they ate.

He became upset because he had eaten at his friends house on an occasion or two, but his friend had never eaten at his house. It turned out that his friend didn't know this was upsetting for his friend and thought he was being considerate because the wife had not planned to have him for dinner.

People sure can get stupid when it comes to food.

edit on 30-5-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Word edits.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

According to the story it is another culture taking from another (white taking from "colored, again from the story) culture.

I think these self inflecting idiots were not Punched in the nose enough when growing up.

Yeah, the whole story smells like more Anti-white stuff. Anyway, what i like to know though, if there is any patent concerning "Burrito" ? or is "Burrito" somehow trademarked ? If not then i can not see how it can be considered cultural theft ? At best would have been learning the secret how to make a better "Burrito" than others.

Peace
edit on 30-5-2017 by Seed76 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Seed76
Wow just wow. Since when Burritos were made a racial issue ?

Peace

when west coast simpletons decided that skin color matters and represents culture.

Where i come from culture is represented by action and behavior, not skin color. Im as white as it comes physically, but i also speak spanish and live on the border where there is a definite "latin" culture. In fact, burritos are purely culturally relevant to people in my area.

My grandmother grew up in south el paso, and is the best mexican cook I've ever known.

I think we are better off just accepting that there are really stupid people among us, and allowing them to try to work their stupidity out on their own.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
Just another example of the sjw's that push identity politics taking things to the conclusion they want.

See its not about diversity and inclusion and loving one another; its about division, hatred, and hating the people they see as oppressors, in this instance white people.

It used to be that cultures sharing each others food, music, clothing, etc. helped bring people together.

Now the tolerant left wants to stop it.

It's all part of the plan to make whites feel what it is like and become a minority in their own country. First there are all these buzzwords like "white priviledge", "unearned priviledge", then other concepts like "diversity". You'll usually find that Soros is behind and funding these pressure groups.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Portland, Ore., has become the epicenter in a growing movement to call out white people who profit off the culinary ideas and dishes swiped from other cultures.

Someone in the City of Roses has even created a Google doc, listing the white-owned restaurants that have appropriated cuisines outside their own culture. For each entry, the document suggests alternative restaurants owned by people of color. One “Appropriative Business” is Voodoo Doughnut, the small doughnut chain accused of profiting off a religion thought to combine African, Catholic and Native American traditions.
www.washingtonpost.com... w&utm_term=.31a004e5f563

Ok in a nut shell, if you are not of the culture the food that you are cooking (a chef), then STOP.

You are stealing from said culture.

One enterprising person has created a "black list" of restaurants to not visit because the people who own the restaurant are white ( I assume) and gives a suggestion of an alternate restaurant owned by a person of color. Cool huh?

The story only talks about white screwing minorities. But would this apply to minorities that cook hamburgers?

Well then...I'd say that the white owned food companies they get their food from should stop selling to them. They can pay double and have it imported from their country of origin...doubke their menu prices and then see how well they do.

So stupid.

Often the folks who make cuisine outside of where they are from do it much better than those from there because they have an affinity for the cuisine and actually improve on it.

This whole movement is dumb.

Yes...lets penalize people because they are doing well because they make a more sought after product than someone who is from there....lets replace it with an inferior product because political correctness....

So stupid...

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I think we are better off just accepting that there are really stupid people among us, and allowing them to try to work their stupidity out on their own.

I agree with you on that.

I have fought the battle of stupid all my life.

Coming from a huge Heinz 57 family, I have always refused to force my family to take sides to appease others.

We were taught we don't have to choose a side. We have a wealth of ancestors to be proud of, and that we can embrace them all.

I raised my nephew, and I was appalled when I was called into school by his teacher because she felt he had an identity problem.

She said that when they talked about Thanksgiving, he said he was Indian. When they talked about Hanuka he said he was Jewish. When they talked about Kwanzaa, he said he was Black. When they talked about St. Patrick's Day, he said he was Irish. She said he doesn't seem to know who he is.

I asked her who did she want him to reject? His Native American grandmother? His Jewish great grandfather, his Black grandfather, his Irish great grandmother? Of course at this point she didn't have anything else to say.

The stupidity of appropriation should not be embraced or propagated by anyone. Somethings should be ignored and allowed to die.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Wow... Been drinking in Brussels but this just boggles my mind.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: whywhynot
So ok I get it, every ethnic food can only be cooked by that ethnicity. All ethnic foods shall be segregated in that fashion. Hmmm if that's a good idea why stop there? Let's segregate other things by ethnicity. Oh yeah, been there done that.

After all, you've got to fight for your right to Apartheid. Only way to make one right is to make at least two wrongs, it seems.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Not in the other article linked.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join