It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you ever play extremely loud music during a back yard party?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
This is something that I suspect I know the answer to but I still wonder about.

Typically when I complain about something I'm able to remind myself that I'm a hypocrite because I've done it myself and that helps put me at ease. Not this one though so I'm wondering if some of you can shed some light on this for me.

I live in a suburb of a large city. We recently moved to this place from our previous suburban town because, in large part, because it is much safer and much MUCH quieter.

In our old neighborhood, during the summer, almost every single Friday and Saturday night there was some jack-hole having a party in the back yard and blasting music that was disturbing to people as far as (my best guess after some searching) about a half mile to three quarters of a mile away.
Edit to clarify: It was not a single jerk... it was about a half dozen spread throughout the area.

It happens in our new neighborhood, but nowhere near as frequently and (thank goodness) the party people in question are at a considerable distance from me to the point where any white noise (such as a fan) can all but drown it out entirely.
Edit to clarify: It's not a single jerk. As best I can tell it's two or perhaps three.

I know I can be long winded so I'll cut to the chase. I promise you I'm trying to find some reasoning here and not trying to simply be insulting (although there is an element of wanting to insult the, from my perspective, perpetrators).

For those of you who knowingly and willingly have a party in your suburban back yard and crank that music up SO DAMNED LOUD and keep it going well into the night..... why do you do it?

Do you not understand that the sound continues to travel beyond your property lines?

Do you think it is acceptable to literally force your neighbors to listen to whatever music you are listening to? When I ask that I'm not merely referring to the neighbors who's property is adjacent to yours. I mean people that you've never met that live several blocks away. You have no problem with shoving your brand of music down their throats?

Are you of the "I simply don't give a sh-t about anyone else" variety of people?

In the event that another person in your area does the same and it has bothered you (perhaps because you are tired and trying to get some sleep or have a young child that is trying to sleep)? If this has happened, what has your interior monologue been like?

Looking for honest, candid answers because on my own I haven't been able to wrap my mind around the concept of how people can be THIS disrespectful to their neighbors.

I'm also always welcome to being told how and why I'm wrong on any particular issue.

Footnote: For what it's worth... especially since we bought our very first house which we're madly in love with and LOVE having people over for BBQ's and the like.... we never... EVER blast music and even with that, I give a courtesy visit (not call because I don't have everyone's numbers because I don't yet know them like that) to let them know I'm having some people over and please don't hesitate to let me know if we get a little loud.

edit on 26-5-2017 by eluryh22 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I 'had' a neighbor like that ... once.

Hit the electric meter with an axe. It works every time.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Can I keep you on retainer?

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Generally, if you're going to give a party you invite/alert/warn any neighbors who might be close enough to be bothered. This way people know ahead of time, and can choose to be away or whatever.

If there's a party near me, even if they didn't warn me, I will tolerate loud noise from the till about One O'Clock AM on a weekend. Earlier on a weekday.

However, if the people in question have gatherings every weekend, I'd expect them to be quieter.

I'm not a big party giver. But I think everyone should be allowed to blow off steam every once and a while. And, as you suggest, we often complain about the splinter in someone else's eye, missing the beam in our own.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I don't have enough friends to even fill a love seat let alone throw a back yard party with loud music.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I have played in bands at parties that can sonically peel paint from passing cars. I have also had neighbors kick my ass and put me in jail. Those were the days!

However our usual tactic in dealing with the neighbors was to invite them, ply them with drugs, alcohol and fast women. It worked most of the time.

Our current social gathering gigs are an acoustic trio and the loudest tune we play is Djangos "minor swing" I miss the old days of debauchery and blowing circuit breakers.
edit on 26-5-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Sorry for your discomfort. Weekends are when I want to rest. Yes I'm older. The thump, thump of music at all hours Friday night and Saturday never let me rest.

I purchased 100 acres plus in the hills. I have serenity every night but that's me at a later age.

No squealing tires, no yelling, no gunshots, no nasty neighbors. Suits me at pushing 60. Sure, later I might have to live in a retirement home but at present I enjoy being settled.

The reason I say this is because I could recommend, from my perspective, if you can then get away from the rat race even at a younger age then invest is something similar.

Kind regards,

bally

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   

if the music is too loud to hear what someone is saying five feet away from you, then it needs to be turned down. save the bass for the clubs.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I'm curious but, if someone played Samuel Barbers "Adiago for strings", would you hold such a grudge? I ask because there was a time when a piece of music would stop us in our tracks whatever we happened to be doing, and now there is an obnoxious element that makes us resent it.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Never Mind The Bollocks!

Just turn your McIntosh up louder
so you can't hear their fuzzy warbling
heartless hip hop, without soul or feeling.

What I do. www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
New links, sorry but some asshole was wearing a swastika armband so I edited.

Don't be a sissy
S&F
edit on 26-5-2017 by Wildmanimal because: add line

edit on 26-5-2017 by Wildmanimal because: Failed to screen video link before posting. New pork links added.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Nope. Not once, not never.

Don't upset the people next door- they're your best chance at a good life.
Don't live that close to people if you can't respect their personal space. Otherwise you're part of the problem.

We're all just locusts, at this point- in a global swarm.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

I'm curious but, if someone played Samuel Barbers "Adiago for strings", would you hold such a grudge? I ask because there was a time when a piece of music would stop us in our tracks whatever we happened to be doing, and now there is an obnoxious element that makes us resent it.

1. That is the most beautiful piece of music ever written, in my opinion.

2. If I heard it blasted on my property, I would assume that I was attending my own funeral.

Edit to add: Barber's "Adagio For Strings" is probably the most heartfelt, and saddest classical piece ever written. If you can listen to the whole thing, and not cry... you most likely are not human...
edit on 27-5-2017 by madmac5150 because: My cat made me

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 04:12 AM
link   

One of my pet hates. Some people are just ignorant and don't care what others might think, so they do it anyway.

I've had a few neighbours like that (adjacent ones too, which is the worst) - and all ignored requests to just be a bit more considerate. I only lost my sh*t once and shouted over the fence at 3am to turn it the f*** down. It worked, but I felt so guilty I went round 5 minutes later and apologised for swearing at them!
edit on 27-5-2017 by youcanttellthepeople because: Grammerr

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

absolutely not.

it when my neighbor bumps jodeci and keith sweat all damn day that i get bothered.

we he moved away cause he and his wife spilt so it is not an issue anymore. he used to leave his garage open and blast all that 90's hump music....uuuuuugh

every now and then sade would come on so no problems with that.

to answer no i dont. i dont have parties and i dont play music outside
edit on 27-5-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Well, I live in an English village.

It's customary, and courteous for people having parties to invite their neighbours and they'll turn it all down after (say) 2300. This is a quiet place and people respect that.

There are legal processes in the UK to deal with noisy neighbours, but the best advice is to have a dialogue. If that fails then the local council will investigate and intervene to curtail though a process known as "statutory nuisance".

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Yes. Typically it's NWA on 11.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Yes.

I do not like noise pollution.

And don't even get me started on those damn portable campfires everyone seems to want these days.
Can't open you windows from the smell.
Want a campfire? Go camping.

People don't respect the rights/property of others anymore.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Yes.

And don't even get me started on those damn portable campfires everyone seems to want these days.

Are you going to be the one to pay for their vacation time to go camping? Didn't think so.

Respect goes both ways. If a portable campfire is legal where you live then suck it up and respect their decision to use one. You seem like one of those people who call the police on people who barbecue on the weekends.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Yes.

A wise man one said that it was time to move when you could see the smoke from the chimney of your closest neighbor.
If you don't like the smell of a wood fire, I'm not sure what to tell you. I'll be having one tonight, and another tomorrow.

The chickens shouldn't mingle in the woods.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

People aren't always using wood...they use garden scraps, green wood, unsuitable materials.
Like other things, most people are clueless.
These fires should not be doing a lot of smoking.

In subdivisions with small lots, it is plain crazy to have these fires....often too close to structures, in spite of city ordinances.
Again, I point to clueless people.

These are not for cooking. these are not for parties and gatherings. These are not to stay warm on chilly evenings.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join