It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French inventor whizzes over a lake on hoverboard capable of reaching 93mph

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I've watch the video again. It does look like the guy is using model jet engines! This might actually work. He must have gryos to control the jet thrust like a quad copter to keep the platform stable and upright. Seems dangerous as hell.

This shows better pictures:

www.havasunews.com...

The heat exhaust does look like it's model jet engines.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
this may be a hint of jealousy the fact I could never invent such a device but a bit like the guy with his so call iron man suit (it isn't just jet engines attached to his limbs) but these inventions are never going to work properly until we have found a inifitate power source to power these machines. If they are to run on a combustible fuel like gas/petrol then these inventions are not going to do much good as you can only carry so much fuel

Sod going to 10,000 feet on that anyway

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

So it is fuel on his back.

According to those pics he is using a different board than is pictured in the thread.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

So it is fuel on his back.

According to those pics he is using a different board than is pictured in the thread.

Yeah, if you look at the pics I provided it looks like two fuel lines on each leg going to the back pack. If you google "model jet engines" there are quite a few. I witnessed the first one ever ran in 1998 at a model airplane trade show. It was pretty awesome.

Everything show in the pics is not light. But it did look like there were 6 model engines being used. I'm not sure how he is able to keep it stable and control it. I did not see any control surfaces so it looks like he is just using body shifts along with the two side jet engines rotating each direction. I guess they could change thrust values for the different engines with gyros for stability but it would require custom electronic controllers with custom programming. I would be afraid as hell to ride that thing!!! Or maybe I just don't trust my own programming abilities!

edit on 25-5-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Above 10,000 feet you would need oxygen mask if you did not get hypothermia first.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

It would be a cool way to get to work!

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I used to drive a motorcycle all the time for about three or four years. It was a 67 305 Honda CL77. I took out the baffles and put donuts in the exhaust, that way people could hear me. It sounded like a harley coming down the road.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
My question is: you're essentially balancing on this board in the air, what happens when you're at 200 feet and accidentally fall over? with those jets rocketing you to the ground there's no way you'll be able to get your legs back underneath you, and even if you turn the thrust off, I think it would be almost impossible to regain your balance.

This is why I still think jetpacks are the way to go.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Slanter

Yep dangerous and would not be allowed to "fly" in any significant numbers in the US.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

It couldn't be done as simply as you say.
Think about it.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
If one has a deathwish...

..this be their jam.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I imagine you're right. I was being half sarcastic as well, you would have to fly straight up to do that.

I think they're making some very large claims they may never be able to back up unless we find an incredibly light and powerful fuel source.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Yeah, it's legit. It uses like 5 model jet engines and a tank of kerosene in a backpack.
It is pretty complex, and runs a similar gyro computer like a drone that controls thrust vectoring nozzles on the ends of the engines vs moving the engines. Last I heard, they were still working on safety issues so it could compensate a loss of an engine and stay level.

edit on 5 by Mandroid7 because: sausage fingers

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   

My old CPU fan was larger than those side mounted fans before i went with a closed loop.

I take it said side mounted fans are just for maneuvering purposes with a larger fan/jet mounted on the bottom of the device?

But even then, given the feeble size of the side mounted fans, i don't see them producing sufficient thrust, even for flight control purpose.

Hope im wrong all the same as that thing looks way cool.

edit on 26-5-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

The vectored thrust on the main jets do the main but gross flight control. The little fans are only for very fine control.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Funny they forgot to edit in the heat wave distortion that would be seen under the jet nozzles if this wasn't just a clever viral marketing campaign designed to get the real Flyboards that hook up to jet ski's publicity.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Its real. And it's set world records for hover flight.

which runs on four 250-horsepower RC jet engines

That's plenty enough power to lift a human. My Dyna has 89 horse to the rear wheel and that can move me and 650 pounds of bike up to about 110 with ease.

it traveled 2,252 meters or 7,388 feet, nearly ten times farther than the mark set last year by Catalin Alexandru Duru on a much larger device. The record has already been certified by Guinness, which attended the event (see the full video, below).

Franky Zapata's "Flyboard Air" flew over a mile, nearly ten times farther than ever before.

Jet-powered hover boards shatters world record

If only there was a creation that would allow a person to instantaneously search the world for information... something you could type a query into and find verifiable data... God damn it's a shame there's nothing like that around to use when topics like this come up.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

Hmmmm.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonyMason

Mysteriously appears up on some shots, yes, but not all.

Anyways, since the mainstream media has lend this credence, everyone is going to say it's been proven true.

It's a clever viral marketing hoax.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

Guinness World Records are set with two verifiable witnesses recording the event.

The exhaust distortion all depends on the camera angle.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join