It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French inventor whizzes over a lake on hoverboard capable of reaching 93mph

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Many many uses for this if it is indeed the real deal.

A Frenchman whose hoverboard invention is being considered by the US Army for usage by combat soldiers was spotted flying his super-fast device over a lake in Arizona.

Franky Zapata, a former professional jet ski driver, was seen flying his Flyboard Air hoverboard over Lake Havasu earlier this month.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Does this look like something you want to go 93 MPH at 10,000 feet?

This look cool, I wonder what the cost is going to be and how many people I will have to scrape off my back yard?

FLYBOARD AIR: KEY STATS

The Flyboard Air claims to allow users to fly untethered through the sky to an incredible height of 10,000ft (3,048m).

That's equal to the height of nearly seven Empire State buildings stacked on top of each other.

It uses an 'Independent Propulsion Unit' to fly for about 10 minutes and has a top speed of 93mph (150 km/h).

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I see ski boots next to those tiny fans (facing forwards) and, I'm no engineer but, it just doesn't look right.

I'd love to fly around at 93mph, maybe not at 10k...but...I'll wait for the next model, this one is scary.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

A Frenchman whose hoverboard invention is being considered by the US Army for usage by combat soldiers was spotted flying his super-fast device over a lake in Arizona. 

Franky Zapata, a former professional jet ski driver, was seen flying his Flyboard Air hoverboard over Lake Havasu earlier this month. 

I love that part!

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

The Flyboard Air claims to allow users to fly untethered through the sky to an incredible height of 10,000ft (3,048m).

That's equal to the height of nearly seven Empire State buildings stacked on top of each other.

It uses an 'Independent Propulsion Unit' to fly for about 10 minutes and has a top speed of 93mph (150 km/h).

That really sparked my interest.

I'm curious if it's been brought to 10,000 feet, or its just implied humans can go that high without extra gear for breathing.

Then again, with ten minutes of power going 1 1/2 miles a minute.... You could get to 10,000 and back in under five going 93mph.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   

This look cool, I wonder what the cost is going to be and how many people I will have to scrape off my back yard? 

If this takes off (no pun intended), I imagine they would become licenced like a car or bike etc.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Admitted

The two pics appear to be of a different machines. Seems like the side fans on the stock photo are diff than the blurry one flying around.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Admitted

The ducted fans look correctly facing. I'm just not sure any ducted fan can produce enough thrust to lift a person as shown in the video. A product like that would be more popular than jet ski's or motorcycles in the US!

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
so much " public " testing - such an absence of 3rd party footage of his " exploits "

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Already posted on ATS, April 7, 2017 - French inventor flies real-life hoverboard over the Atlantic Ocean.

Lively discussion. Some say "fake" others think it is true.

I haven't decided but it looks like the one in Spiderman so I'm trending towards fake.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Is this a CGI fake?

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Didn't I see this on the Jetson's? Fiction is becoming a reality. I can see this being used for law enforcement, postal workers and commuting to work! Wouldn't be so great for those who can't handle heights.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Can you imagine falling off of that thing going ninety miles per hour? Over water, I hope that thing floats, you would get stuck in it and be living with the fishes.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Correctly facing, I agree. But, to fly ... Those are the size of the fans in my computer.
It just doesn't jive.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

If you think motorcycles are dangerous, they got nothing on this thing.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Admitted

Correctly facing, I agree. But, to fly ... Those are the size of the fans in my computer.
It just doesn't jive.

I wonder if these are not just ducted fans, but very small high bypass turbofan engines. I have been seeing an article floating around social media about a tiny 3D printed jet engine.... it is about the size of what we see in the OP pic.
Still very small to perform like they are saying on this hoverboard.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
What fuel does it use? What engines does it use? Both of these add mass to his body weight but really overall 10 minutes flying time would be practically useless. Except of course for a one off suicide attack.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

There may be some tech I don't understand that would fit here. I just doubt it.

Imagine those baseball caps with a rotor on top. Going to make you fly? Not bloody likely. It's too small.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   

a reply to: butcherguy

There may be some tech I don't understand that would fit here. I just doubt it.

Imagine those baseball caps with a rotor on top. Going to make you fly? Not bloody likely. It's too small.

I agree, they look far too small.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Is this a CGI fake?

He is carrying a backpack. Something like that would probably 20 pounds of lithium ion batteries to support the current load by the ducted fans. I"m just not sure there is any ducted fans that size capable of lifting 50 pounds each. I'm sure some quad drone expert can calculate the RPM of the rotor blades. I think there is math for the maximum thrust a rotor blade that size can produce. So say the blades are doing 40,000 RPMs the noise would be a lot higher pitch. When ducted fans rotate at too high of RPM they generally self-destruct. And the current draw would be so great it would probably melt the backpack.

I would really be afraid to do it. If the demo were 6" off the ground with cart carrying the battery packs I might be able to believe it. But the amount of current needed to do what was in the video is most likely a CGI fake.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

It just doesn't jive.

I wonder if these are not just ducted fans, but very small high bypass turbofan engines. I have been seeing an article floating around social media about a tiny 3D printed jet engine.... it is about the size of what we see in the OP pic.
Still very small to perform like they are saying on this hoverboard.

That's a good point. The thing is they are really loud:

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join