It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With Confederate flags gone, Civil War museum will close

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Waiting on Egypt to tear down the pyramids... after all they were built with slaves.

Not to get too of topic but that might not be the case.

Dieter Wildung, a former director of Berlin's Egyptian Museum, said it is "common knowledge in serious Egyptology" that the pyramid builders were not slaves. "The myth of the slaves building pyramids is only the stuff of tabloids and Hollywood," Wildung said. "The world simply could not believe the pyramids were build without oppression and forced labour, but out of loyalty to the pharaohs." Hawass said the builders came from poor families from the north and the south, and were respected for their work – so much so that those who died during construction were bestowed the honour of being buried in the tombs near the sacred pyramids of their pharaohs.

great pryamid tombs unearthed "proof" workers were not slaves

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Waiting on Egypt to tear down the pyramids... after all they were built with slaves.

You might want to Google that one.

My bad... aliens.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

I am just spit balling that it went something like this.

Councilman-Hey pull the blanking flags I am getting my ass handed to me. If you don't we will close the f-ing thing down.

So the museum did the only thing it could.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

The real enemy that is being attacked is the idea of state rights.

The Federal Government doesn't want to have any symbols out there that are a threat to their power. Personally, I would have been a Confederate...screw the Feds.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   
“I will not apologize for asking that the CONFEDERATE FLAG be removed FROM A COUNTY OWNED PARK and given back to the private owner as it was not a flag owned by Henry County,” stated Clemmons on her Facebook page

2 sides to every story.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: SolAquarius

Not to get too of topic but that might not be the case.

Dieter Wildung, a former director of Berlin's Egyptian Museum, said it is "common knowledge in serious Egyptology" that the pyramid builders were not slaves. "The myth of the slaves building pyramids is only the stuff of tabloids and Hollywood," Wildung said. "The world simply could not believe the pyramids were build without oppression and forced labour, but out of loyalty to the pharaohs." Hawass said the builders came from poor families from the north and the south, and were respected for their work – so much so that those who died during construction were bestowed the honour of being buried in the tombs near the sacred pyramids of their pharaohs.

great pryamid tombs unearthed "proof" workers were not slaves

Going to call BS.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius
Read the story, where is the proof they were not slaves?

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Why are you dragging your own thread off topic?

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Good, she should be voted out.

Soft fingers on the gavel of history is a dangerous thing.

link   

Your post did so as well.

link   

There is none... here is a critique of the story / claim.

Maybe the Pyramid Builders Weren't Union Workers After All

But back to the original OP, the point still stands where does this end?

I am black. I grew up in GA. I've been around and seen confederate flags all my life. Personally, IDGAF. It had little to no effect on my life. Do I find it offensive? Sometimes knowing the history of why the flag was popularized in the 50s as a symbol of supporting segregation. The flag was pretty much forgotten until Strom Thurmond used it to thumb their noses at the Feds over segregation.

Regardless, I don't believe we should be trying to erase the history of the country because it wasn't pretty.

edit on 24-5-2017 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

link   
The article even said it's fake news.
That said, as a bad filthy leftist I don't support this.

edit on 5/24/2017 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Good, she should be voted out.

Soft fingers on the gavel of history is a dangerous thing.

I'm sure she will be if the county cares enough.

Probably not though, or you'd have thought they'd have made a big to do about it by now.

My second post was just a friendly reminder.
Hardly off topic to remind someone to stay on topic now is it?

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   

The tombs that were built out of respect for the worker would seem to be what the article is claiming.

Egypt displayed today newly discovered tombs more than 4,000 years old and said they belonged to people who worked on the Great Pyramids of Giza, supporting evidence that slaves did not build the ancient monuments. The modest 9ft deep shafts held a dozen skeletons of pyramid builders, perfectly preserved by dry sand along with jars of beer and bread for the afterlife.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   
The confederate flag is the new n-word.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Agreed, the states are supposed to call the shot to the feds, not the other way around.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Good subject for a thread.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   
isn`t erasing history a double edged sword?

how will the liberals play the race card if racism is erased from U.S. history?

2 generations from now people will be saying:

"what civil war? what racism? I didn`t read anything about a civil war or racism in my history books, pics or it didn`t happen."

you can`t play the race card if it is no longer in the deck, and the race card is all the liberals have left to attract voters.

The jews have the right idea, keep the holocaust alive ,all the time. You can`t play the victim card if people forget that you were a victim.

edit on 24-5-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-5-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Not flying Confederate flags isn't erasing history. Think that one through. Germany doesn't fly Nazi flags. When was the last time anyone asked the name of that guy with the funny mustache who killed all those Jewish people "back in the day?" Nobody would ever imply that the failure to venerate fallen Nazis by flying Nazi flags at Nazi memorials would lead to Nazism.

Basically, it has to do with the fact that the South never really accepted that slavery was wrong like the Germans did with the actions of Nazis. Here's where it gets really obvious what's going on here. While there are some truly historic Confederate memorials, quite a number of them actually sprung up in the late 1910's and through the Civil Rights Era as a middle finger to desegregationists.

For instance, one of the most famous (and largest) is the relief on the side of Stone Mountain. I used to go there as a kid. This is the history:

Carving and the Ku Klux Klan The revival of the Ku Klux Klan was emboldened by the release of D. W. Griffith's Klan-glorifying film The Birth of a Nation,[8] and coincided with the August 1915 lynching of Leo Frank. On November 25 of the same year, a small group, including fifteen robed and hooded "charter members" of the new organization, met at Stone Mountain to create a new iteration of the Klan. They were led by William J. Simmons, and included two elderly members of the original Klan. As part of their ceremony, they burned a crude cross.[9] Fundraising for the monument resumed in 1923. In October of that year, Venable granted the Klan easement with perpetual right to hold celebrations as they desired.[10] The influence of the UDC continued, in support of Mrs. Plane's vision of a carving explicitly for the purpose of creating a Confederate memorial. The UDC established the Stone Mountain Confederate Memorial Association (SMCMA) for fundraising and on-site supervision of the project. Venable and Gutzon Borglum, who were both closely associated with the Klan, arranged to pack the SMCMA with Klan members.[11] The SMCMA, along with the United Daughters of the Confederacy continued fundraising efforts. Of the $250,000 raised, part came from the federal government, which in 1925 issued special fifty-cent coins with the soldiers Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson on them, but would not allow the politician Jefferson Davis to be included.[12] When the state completed the purchase in 1960, it condemned the property to remove Venable's agreement to allow the Klan perpetual right to hold meetings on the premises.[11]

edit on 2017-5-24 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

My apologies didn't mean to derail your thread with this just wanted to correct the record with the whole slaves built the pyramids misconception.
edit on 24-5-2017 by SolAquarius because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join