It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With Confederate flags gone, Civil War museum will close

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
“I will not apologize for asking that the CONFEDERATE FLAG be removed FROM A COUNTY OWNED PARK and given back to the private owner as it was not a flag owned by Henry County,” stated Clemmons on her Facebook page

2 sides to every story.

The reason I bolded that part is because I think it makes a point...

If it's County owned...
Do they have any right to fly a traitors flag?

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

The Civil war was 1861 to 1865- so the date of 1900-1915 would be a respectful time to raise funds and build memorials.

I always love people judging when a particular inanimate object is supposed to offend me or not. Guns also come to mind-how they look determines if they need to be banned.

Adults make up their own minds-if they can't, they should not be coddled or allowed to make adult decisions.

Silly liberals
edit on 24-5-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Erasing history.
Hook In Mouth. Megadeth, mind the man with beady eyes erasing history.
Kind of relevant..

Hook in Mouth
Megadeth
Lyrics:

A cockroach in the concrete, courthouse tan and beady eyes.
A slouch with fallen arches, purging truths into great lies.
A little man with a big eraser, changing history
Procedures that he's programmed to, all he hears and sees.
Altering the facts and figures, events and every issue.
Make a person disappear, and no one will ever miss you.
Rewrites every story, every poem that ever was.
Eliminates incompetence, and those who break the laws.
Follow the instructions of the New Ways' Evil Book of Rules.
Replacing rights with wrongs, the files and records in the schools.
You say you've got the answers, well who asked you anyway?
Ever think maybe it was meant to be this way?
Don't try to fool us, we know the worst is yet to come.
I believe my kingdom will come.
F is for fighting, R is for red,
Ancestors' blood in battles they've shed.
E, we elect them, E, we eject them,
In the land of the free, and the home of the brave.
D, for your dying, O, your overture,
M, they will cover your grave with manure.
This spells out freedom, it means nothing to me,
As long as there's a P.M.R.C.
F is for fighting, R is for red,
Ancestors' blood in battles they've shed.
E, we elect them, E, we eject them,
In the land of the free and the home of the brave.
D, for your dying, O, your overture,
M is for money and you know what that cures.
This spells out freedom, it means nothing to me,
As long as there's a P.M.R.C.
Put your hand right up my shirt,
Pull the strings that make me work,
Jaws will part, words fall out,
like a fish with hook in mouth.
Rewrites every story, every poem that ever was.
Eliminates incompetence, and those who break the laws.
Follow the instructions of the New Ways' Evil Book of Rules.
Replacing rights with wrongs, the files and records in the schools.
I'm not a fish
Hook in mouth
I'm a man

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

It is a museum-there is stuff in there that is not rated G.

I would hope people could see that history sometimes sucks.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Yes history must be shown.

edit on 24-5-2017 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   

you need to look up the definition of the word traitor and while you`re at it look up the definition of the word treason.

to save me from making another post after you look those words up I`ll just say that the confederate states weren`t trying to overthrow the government of the U.S. or assassinate the leaders of the U.S. government, so by definition it wasn`t treason and they weren`t traitors.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   

How is this thread about that? Were the four statues that were removed from NOLA erected after 1915??

Careful on this road we're traveling.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   

I`ll just say that the confederate states weren`t trying to overthrow the government of the U.S.

Yeah they were just trying to secede...
Because State Rights...

The Right to own slaves...

or assassinate the leaders of the U.S. government

But they did eventually though, didn't they...

Lincoln didn't die in awe of the play in that theatre.
He was shot to death.

Now, about that "County owned park"?
Anything to say about that?

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

All good.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Just put this somewhere else, but it fits here too.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   

What do you think the Civil War was about?

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Good point, what about things Confederate flags on the grave stones-cemeteries?

It is foolishness to listen to people who are so easily offended. It is indeed a slippery slope to entertain these mental midgets.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Woman cries, alleges assault after seeing confederate flag in Portland store

Silly women who makes a big deal about a confederate flag. She needs some real problems in her life, this is not something to get her self so worked up about. She also knows the buzz words to make herself seem like the victim. She was "shook up".
edit on 24-5-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Waiting on Egypt to tear down the pyramids... after all they were built with slaves.

Take down the white house as well. Was mostly built with slave labor.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   

that would be true if most southerners owned slaves, which they didn`t, and if that was the only reason they seceded, which it wasn`t, in fact for the first 2 1/2 years of the war not even the U.S. government or the people of the north were fighting the war to abolish slavery.
even Lincoln himself said that his only reason for fighting the war was to maintain the union and that if the confederate states would rejoin the union and end the war that they could keep their slaves.

The slavery thing didn`t become an issue to the U.S. government until the war was half over and the people of the north were sick of the war because they were taking massive casualties and losing most of the battles so they were talking about ending the war by allowing the southern states to leave the union.

Lincoln made it clear that he was going to maintain the union at any cost,so when talk of allowing the southern states to leave was gaining popular support he decided to regain support for the war by issuing the emancipation proclamation.

lincoln`s own words tell us exactly why he was fighting the war and it had NOTHING to do with slavery.

I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that.

www.abrahamlincolnonline.org...

notice that Lincoln himself put in quotes: " the union as it was" presumably meaning the south can keep their slaves and the north can keep their sweatshops employing immigrants at a dollar week.

why did Lincoln care so much about preserving the union?

one of the reasons is because %80 of the federal governments income was derived from tariffs collected from the southern states.at that time there was no income tax all the governments income came from tariffs of which the southern states contributed %80.
in fact the first income tax was instituted during the civil war but only on the people of the northern states since they were the only states still in the union.

Then, just as now, it was all about the money.

edit on 24-5-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   

The Republican party ran mostly on a freeing slave platform. Hence why the southern states who's economy was heavily influenced by slave labor for all up in arms. Then they started to use state rights of succession.

Lincoln needed to keep a United States so he went back on his word and proposed to allow already owned slave establishments to stand. Of course this back fired on two fronts, the African American population, and the South. From there the war just got messy and political.
Thing is a lot of people got dragged into the mess, lee was one of them.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Somethingsamiss

Great retort. Applause.

At least someones sane.

kind regards,

bally

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   
This is sad and in Henry County of all places. I'm so tired of all these cry babies that get offended and cry for social justice. They are pissing own there Freedom as individuals in the process.
Maybe one day they will look back and be ashamed.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Figures. I'm not at all surprised with the replies.

3 pages of people proving they only read headlines & don't bother with THE ARTICLE ITSELF.

Hey, guess what! If you clicky the linky and read it, it says this in there:

The museum property, which is owned by the county, included a large collection of artifacts and exhibits that were owned by private citizens.

“Henry County in no way asked them to remove their things,” county spokeswoman Melissa Robinson told Channel 2 Action News. “We did not request that. It was a voluntary move to leave the museum.”

Let that word sink in, voluntary. They did it of their own volition, after months of hemming & hawing after they claim a commissioner requested they remove it.
Edit: My mistake, they did name someone. The point stands in that it was a request, not an order. They could have easily given the finger & kept going as-is, but did not.

This museum can be summed in in 3 simple words: Ain't no loss.
If you think you can't teach history without a flag you voluntarily removed yourself, you already failed teaching history, period. The argument is as retarded as saying you voluntarily removed the use of an obelus (the ÷ symbol) and therefore now can't teach division without it.
If a math teacher can't hack it without an obelus he struck from the curriculum himself, he's a s# excuse for a teacher, right? Same thing here. If you can't curate & teach about historical artifacts without a flag, you're a s# excuse for a historian & probably should stick to your day job (assuming you can manage doing your day job without moronic excuses)
edit on 5/24/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join