It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump's Budget Betrays His Pledge Not To Cut Social Security

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: veracity
a reply to: UKTruth

I agree, but its not black and white on who is misusing these benefits.

There is and has always been a way / system to screen those who really need them and who dont. I have been thru this screening system before as I was laid off my job a while back but that is just one aspect. I was laid off, it is easy to see it was at no fault of my own. How are the questions going to change for the disabled?

With many jobs being able to work at home with little to no heavy lifting or walking...perhaps the "disabled" are not so disabled anymore and can find work...perhaps.

I would have loved to be there asking questions.

Perhaps the screening is not being applied quite as strictly as it should be?

Here is the percentage food stamp numbers increase in percentage terms 2000-2015 by state. Obviously population growth by state will play a factor as will the state by state effect of the recession (I am assuming Nevada was hit hard?).

Still some worrying increases.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

One stat that is very telling that he mentioned... just after the recession there were something like 43m people on food stamps, which had risen sharply from about 25m. It's at a high in recent times by many millions. Once the recession ended and after 8 years of growth, albeit small, the food stamp number has remained at 43m. Something is up there.

ya, well when you have a good paying job that is capable of providing you with the funds to provide food for your three kids and it's lost and the job you finally find is closer to a minimum wage job than that well paying job you had...
you end up still on food stamps!!

He also made it clear that no one who has legitimate need is going to lose benefits and they do have a way of determining who should and should not be receiving benefits. I think a lot of free loaders are going to have to drag their fat carcasses off the sofa and go to work.

those with the most need are the ones who are usually refused first because they don't have the adequate medical records because they've been avoiding the doctors for years because they can't afford the doctors!! as far as the disable being able to get a job if they can talk on the phone or go on the internet, lol....
ya sure... convince me that a 50+ person who has worked in a manufacturing field for just about all their life who can no longer do that kind of work because of a disability will be given a chance by employers in these types of jobs!!! they won't they would prefer to train a younger person and pay them an entry level wage and hoping that they will stick around for the long term!

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I am as you described in the bottom of your post. the test i needed to get wa sa nerve conduction study and a doctors note. BOTH cost a total of 1600 bucks. which i didnt have. i got chronic back pain,scoliosis with lordosis, my knees are not reliable and fall out from under me randomly too. I also have Gout,and high blood pressure. I have ADHD too. I also have to hold onto something to even straighten my back up to stand.

And they STILL denied me. know of a few right now who are on 100 percent disability and are not even as bad off as me.
Its also seemingly dis proportinate along ethnic lines too.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

thats very unfortunate that you could not afford the tests. With affordable healthcare you would have been able to have the tests and if deemed worthy of disability assistance...you would rightfully be using it.

In the very specific and im sure very different from disability screening I went thru when laid off...the questions were specific and very black / white.

for example...Were you laid off from your job or did you quit?....
If you quit, even though you were unfairly treated or sexually assaulted, etc...you did NOT receive benefits.

I can imagine if applying for disability insurance and you could not afford certain tests needed, you would be denied.

Just curious...Are you in favor of the ACA? or universal healthcare?

I ask bc if you had access to healthcare...you would not have these issues.
edit on 24-5-2017 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
There are websites and "community organizations" that will walk people through the process to get government assistance. 1 in 4 people in the US is on government assistance. That is insane.

Almost 40% of all government assistance programs are used by African Americans while only making up 13% of the population. It is a business for some people. You can have 12 people all collecting SSDI, food stamps, using Medicaid and living in a home on Section 8 with provided phone and internet.

1. Have a few kids
2. Get on Welfare
3. Section 8
4. Medicaid
5. Hurt on job or fired multiple times then apply for SSDI
6. Work under table or sell illegal goods

SSDI is for those who need it. A 22 year old with 'back spasms' can be approved before someone who has lived to 55 and paid into their whole life. It needs to be revamped and that is what is occurring. This is like the ACA repeal and stating everyone will lost benefits and people will be dying in the streets.

In the end, I cannot blame them either. If the government wants to give away free money it is the fault of the government not them. Not that it is not right, morally, but then again not much is anymore.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

One stat that is very telling that he mentioned... just after the recession there were something like 43m people on food stamps, which had risen sharply from about 25m. It's at a high in recent times by many millions. Once the recession ended and after 8 years of growth, albeit small, the food stamp number has remained at 43m. Something is up there.

ya, well when you have a good paying job that is capable of providing you with the funds to provide food for your three kids and it's lost and the job you finally find is closer to a minimum wage job than that well paying job you had...
you end up still on food stamps!!

He also made it clear that no one who has legitimate need is going to lose benefits and they do have a way of determining who should and should not be receiving benefits. I think a lot of free loaders are going to have to drag their fat carcasses off the sofa and go to work.

those with the most need are the ones who are usually refused first because they don't have the adequate medical records because they've been avoiding the doctors for years because they can't afford the doctors!! as far as the disable being able to get a job if they can talk on the phone or go on the internet, lol....
ya sure... convince me that a 50+ person who has worked in a manufacturing field for just about all their life who can no longer do that kind of work because of a disability will be given a chance by employers in these types of jobs!!! they won't they would prefer to train a younger person and pay them an entry level wage and hoping that they will stick around for the long term!

Then the focus has to be jobs - and jobs with better wages. Luckily that is the focus, so you are least being led by a President making the right decisions and setting the right priorities.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

what bothers me is the number of kids that are on it.... the girl who lives next door to me now has probably been on it most of her childhood... "anxiety disorder, ect" she's an adult now and still on disability, all I can say is that she can at least walk to the nearest store (quite a distance really) and I am screaming at the creeps who tend to call almost daily making their sales pitch because I don't really walk as well...
I have no problem letting these kids get medicaid, since for many, they have insane medical bills... but when I was told that I could get it for one of my kids for a learning disability, I really couldn't figure out why. it really didn't cost us that much more to raise him than my other two kids. and quite frankly, accepting the label probably would have impeded his learning moving further anyways since he later overcame the label and did quite well.

when they decide weather you are "disabled" or not, one of things they consider is your age. the older you are, the more likely you will be accepted since the less likely you will be to manage to transition into a field that you are physically able to do. and well, the more of those 50 somethings that were laid off as their jobs were shipped off they can get out of the job market via disability/early retirement, the better.

I finally managed to get it after my husband passed and left me with no income and I found myself with no recourse but try disability again. I talked them into letting their own doctor evaluate me and decide... but I am not sure I would have gotten it if I wasn't so close to retirement age and made it clear to them that there was no way in heck that I would let me kids take on the responsibilty.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Montana
So how about this, Why doesn't he cut the waste and excess FIRST. Then cut the funding for the savings that are found? Isn't making cuts first kind of putting the cart before the horse? Since everyone knows this will never pass congress, this is just more grandstanding, isn't it?

See this is the thing ^^^. You are spot on.

If the are concerned about fraud, they first need to fund fraud reduction units and better track where the money goes. Then, after they stabilize the program minus most of the fraud, they will better know what level of funding to apply.

They might also review the standards used for people to receive disability and make sure the program serves actual disability and not overly generous standards for qualification.

It ain't rocket science.
edit on 24-5-2017 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
There are websites and "community organizations" that will walk people through the process to get government assistance. 1 in 4 people in the US is on government assistance. That is insane.

Almost 40% of all government assistance programs are used by African Americans while only making up 13% of the population. It is a business for some people. You can have 12 people all collecting SSDI, food stamps, using Medicaid and living in a home on Section 8 with provided phone and internet.

1. Have a few kids
2. Get on Welfare
3. Section 8
4. Medicaid

SSDI is for those who need it. A 22 year old with 'back spasms' can be approved before someone who has lived to 55 and paid into their whole life. It needs to be revamped and that is what is occurring. This is like the ACA repeal and stating everyone will lost benefits and people will be dying in the streets.

In the end, I cannot blame them either. If the government wants to give away free money it is the fault of the government not them. Not that it is not right, morally, but then again not much is anymore.

Yup, yup, yup !!! The wife retired and because of my business zip code at the time she was nearly forced to get SSDI. $1500 a month for no reason.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: AboveBoard

originally posted by: Montana
So how about this, Why doesn't he cut the waste and excess FIRST. Then cut the funding for the savings that are found? Isn't making cuts first kind of putting the cart before the horse? Since everyone knows this will never pass congress, this is just more grandstanding, isn't it?

See this is the thing ^^^. You are spot on.

If the are concerned about fraud, they first need to fund fraud reduction units and better track where the money goes. Then, after they stabilize the program minus most of the fraud, they will better know what level of funding to apply.

They might also review the standards used for people to receive disability and make sure the program serves actual disability and not overly generous standards for qualification.

It ain't rocket science.

So bloat the govt some more in order to find out what bloat needs to be taken out.
This is what created the mess in the first place.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

1. Have a few kids
2. Get on Welfare
3. Section 8
4. Medicaid

There are websites and "community organizations" that will walk people through the process to get government assistance bc this assistance is meant to be used for those in need and do not know how or where to start. There is no shame in asking for help when you are in need.

It seems you do not know much about this screening system. You cannot get assistance if you are fired or quit a job. Most are poor whites and if there is any non-consistency with the percentage of those on govt assistance and the actual population it is obvious, if you care to look back on history, that the afro-american minority was very pushed back and degraded in our country's past. It is all still very connected if you take into consideration that these poor families in need have a history of being in poverty, parents, grandparents, great -grandparents for as long as they can remember. Are they supposed to automatically have enough $ to go to college or start up a winning business? It is unfortunately (but not always) passed down from generations of hard luck.

if you decide to turn a blind eye on our history and just be a racist then that is up to you. If you decide to turn a blind eye on the ACA and its benefits vs. "the revamping" of the health care system and just be an idiot...also, up to you.

You have free will to be as dumb and idiotic as you please

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell

1. Have a few kids
2. Get on Welfare
3. Section 8
4. Medicaid

Yup, yup, yup !!! The wife retired and because of my business zip code at the time she was nearly forced to get SSDI. $1500 a month for no reason.

please explain?

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
This is the reason a vote for Trump was stupid. His worst element is that he ran as a republican and they have wanted to cut SS for years.

One could just hope this will wake people up and see that the real enemy is GOP philosophy which is even worst than Trump.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: veracity

So, since I do not agree with you I am dumb, idiotic,racist and get a smiley face. So nice.

There are poor people of all races who do not break the cycle. When they do they move ahead. If not, they are usually coached by the same people who want to stay on assistance and "stick it to the man".You know it is true if you know 'history' and generations of people who could not get ahead.

I also do not need a history lesson. I know how Democrats since the late 1800's have oppressed black people and used 'social intervention' for votes. After an African American president was elected the 'race card' is dead. It is pathetic when people bring it up. If you are anyone in this country with ALL of the outlets for help you can find it if you want to. If not, you are being held back by those who do not want you to move ahead again as stated above.

As far as jobs, what they do is claim they were injured. Then they cannot work. Then they get money. I know lots of scumbag people, all white mind you, who have done this. You can get it for Carpal Tunnel although they will call it peripheral neuropathy.

When I stated that there are websites I did not mean for those who actually need it but to learn what to say, what to do and how to get it. They are out there. Stay blind if you want but SSDI needs an overhaul.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: jjkenobi

Do you know how hard it is to get on that program? I have cancer and have been out of work for over a year... about at the end of all my benefits from SS and trying to switch to disability. I have a very hard time believing there is enough fraud to justify those cuts.

Perhaps you're not a good liar.

I've know quite a few over the years. More frauds then not I'm afraid. I know this isn't hard proof but it exists.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   

So, since I do not agree with you I am dumb, idiotic,racist and get a smiley face. So nice.

I also do not need a history lesson. I know how Democrats since the late 1800's have oppressed black people and used 'social intervention' for votes. After an African American president was elected the 'race card' is dead. It is pathetic when people bring it up. If you are anyone in this country with ALL of the outlets for help you can find it if you want to. If not, you are being held back by those who do not want you to move ahead again as stated above.

you also clearly do not know (or turn a blind eye) to the fact that the parties flip flopped around the 60's. the democrats used to be the more conservative party.

I know its hard for someone like you to NOT pretend like they know it all, but if you are going to do it, at least look at the facts, especially if someone is calling you out on it. May be worth investigating instead of turning a blind eye everything except that which fits your agenda.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

not to worry, the Senate won't play ball with it, and the CBO has a say as well.
it won't fly.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Ah, the good old party flip argument. LBJ right? Is that the 'turning point'. When they decided to quit lynching black people and become the progressive socialist they are now and push liberal values out in the open and conservative values behind closed doors? Those steps actually began with T Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson around 1912-1916. This is when the 'Republicans' started to become the Progressive party which became the current day Democrats. It was not in the 60's.

A leopard never changes it spots...just who it shows them to.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The term Social Security can be a bit confusing since it encompasses two different groups of people. The disabled and the elderly. Thanks for the clarity.

it also applies to orphans(minors who survive a parent)

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: jjkenobi

Do you know how hard it is to get on that program? I have cancer and have been out of work for over a year... about at the end of all my benefits from SS and trying to switch to disability. I have a very hard time believing there is enough fraud to justify those cuts.

Perhaps you're not a good liar.

I've know quite a few over the years. More frauds then not I'm afraid. I know this isn't hard proof but it exists.

wow

just wow

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join