It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A BILLION Dollars for Lifetime Medical Care!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   
My ex and I were talking yesterday and she was telling me about her brother and his wife, who recently had a baby. I knew there were some problems, but didn't know it had gotten this bad. The baby was born quite premature and has had nothing but trouble since. In the 8 weeks the poor little girl has been here, she's already had multiple surgeries and spent every minute of her life in the NICU. They haven't been able to hold her and even touching her is very limited. Tubes, wires and monitors everywhere. On top of numerous other things, the latest is a life threatening problem with the baby's bowels and several surgeries have been scheduled to fix it.

Now to the reason for the title.
The hospital has spoken to them and came right out and said that, by the time the baby has gotten all the care she will need, [ we're talking months of being in the NICU, with the average cost being $3000 per day and multiple surgeries on top of what they've already done ] the medical bills will be close to a billion dollars.
Yes .Billion

The Mother is a police dispatcher, he is in construction. There is absolutely no way, even with insurance, they will be able to pay this.
No one could.
I'm sure the hospital will use much of it as a tax write off, but that still leaves them in massive debt, probably for the rest of their lives. No price is too high for a healthy child, but we have to find a way to reduce that cost.

I know that many think nurses and doctors make too much money, but after being married to an RN for 20 years and getting an inside look at what they have to put up with and the things they do to take care of their patients, they earn every penny. So do most doctors.
We have GOT to make getting medical costs down our our top priority. I have no problem with companies making a profit and they do need money for research, but this is insane.
Many insurance companies have complained about not making enough under the ACA and while it's true profits are down, they're still making record profits. Maybe not paying your CEO $66 million a year would be a good start?

www.consumeraffairs.com...

In fact, UnitedHealth announced record-breaking profits in 2015, followed by an even better year this year. In July 2016, UnitedHealth celebrated revenues that quarter totalling $46.5 billion, an increase of $10 billion since the same time last year. And company filings show that UnitedHealth’s CEO Stephen J. Hemsley made over $20 million in 2015. To be fair, that is a pay cut. The previous year, in 2014, Hemsley took home $66 million in compensation.

Almost $47 billion dollars profit in one quarter

Even something so simple as a broken arm, could cost you thousands. With so many living paycheque to paycheque, that can be catastrophic.

health.costhelper.com...

Without health insurance, surgical treatment of a broken arm typically costs $16,000 or more. For example, surgical treatment of a fracture of the humerus (upper arm bone) costs about $14,911, not including the surgeon fee, at Baptist Memorial Health Care in Memphis, Tennessee. A typical surgeon fee for surgical treatment of a fracture could reach $2,000 or more, according to Carolina Orthopaedic Surgery Associates[4] .
A broken arm typically would be covered by health insurance. With health insurance, costs could include doctor visit copays and coinsurance of 30 percent or more for treatment, which could total thousands of dollars or the yearly out-of-pocket maximum.

I don't care who comes up with a plan, but we desperately need one. This is not a Right thing or Left thing, it's a We thing and We are getting seriously screwed.
edit on 22-5-2017 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

In the first place let me say that I hope through some unknown or unforeseen circumstance that the child gets better as soon as possible.
Secondly: Words simply fail me. I mean I read what you said but the comprehension thing, I am simply not getting it at all. In what universe is this seen as acceptable? there must be some mistake but if not, damn thing needs to change yesterday.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   
We need to get people in charge who actually care about their constituants. When money runs the government, it is no wonder why things like this happen. I am talking about both sides here.

I hope the child in your posts recieves all the care needed to live a long and healthy life.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

I know exactly how you feel. I had to get my ex to repeat what she said, 'cause I'm pretty sure my brain stripped a gear when she said "Billion"

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I am going to say it. A billion is 1000 million. Are they talking for life? Like a life of constant DR visits and surgeries?

If we were to breaks down the per surgery cost it would be highly unlikely to put the cost at that.

Unless surgeries are multi million dollars apiece, like 10s of millions I find this suspect.

The system is broken, but I can't see it being this broken-yet.

Edit: @ 3,000$ a day the baby could stay at the hospital for over 3,000,000 days.
edit on 22-5-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Yours and mine both.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   
If this is the price to have a healthy child in this world,then we as a species have failed.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   
A Billion dollars is too high. A long-term patient in Iowa uses $1 Million a month. It will take 83 years for him to utilize $1 Billion in services, if his costs don't increase. Thankfully he has health insurance with a low annual deductible and no limit on coverage.

I'm hopeful that your Ex-wife's brother also has a reasonable (as they go today) deductible, and NO LIMIT on what the health insurance plan will pay for.

Best wishes to the little girl. Thinking of sick children makes me very emotional. They NEVER deserve it.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

From what I gathered, this is the cost for the foreseeable future.. She is looking at who knows how many surgeries and intensive care, over a number of years.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I should probably edit the OP. They said close to a billion.

Oh...I just reread it. I did say "close to" a billion. I think that whoever talked to them was trying to to get across the fact that this is going to be very, very expensive.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
My ex and I were talking yesterday and she was telling me about her brother and his wife, who recently had a baby. I knew there were some problems, but didn't know it had gotten this bad. The baby was born quite premature and has had nothing but trouble since. In the 8 weeks the poor little girl has been here, she's already had multiple surgeries and spent every minute of her life in the NICU. They haven't been able to hold her and even touching her is very limited. Tubes, wires and monitors everywhere. On top of numerous other things, the latest is a life threatening problem with the baby's bowels and several surgeries have been scheduled to fix it.

Now to the reason for the title.
The hospital has spoken to them and came right out and said that, by the time the baby has gotten all the care she will need, [ we're talking months of being in the NICU, with the average cost being $3000 per day and multiple surgeries on top of what they've already done ] the medical bills will be close to a billion dollars.
Yes .Billion

The Mother is a police dispatcher, he is in construction. There is absolutely no way, even with insurance, they will be able to pay this.
No one could.
I'm sure the hospital will use much of it as a tax write off, but that still leaves them in massive debt, probably for the rest of their lives. No price is too high for a healthy child, but we have to find a way to reduce that cost.

I know that many think nurses and doctors make too much money, but after being married to an RN for 20 years and getting an inside look at what they have to put up with and the things they do to take care of their patients, they earn every penny. So do most doctors.
We have GOT to make getting medical costs down our our top priority. I have no problem with companies making a profit and they do need money for research, but this is insane.
Many insurance companies have complained about not making enough under the ACA and while it's true profits are down, they're still making record profits. Maybe not paying your CEO $66 million a year would be a good start?

www.consumeraffairs.com...

In fact, UnitedHealth announced record-breaking profits in 2015, followed by an even better year this year. In July 2016, UnitedHealth celebrated revenues that quarter totalling $46.5 billion, an increase of $10 billion since the same time last year. And company filings show that UnitedHealth’s CEO Stephen J. Hemsley made over $20 million in 2015. To be fair, that is a pay cut. The previous year, in 2014, Hemsley took home $66 million in compensation.

Almost $47 billion dollars profit in one quarter

Even something so simple as a broken arm, could cost you thousands. With so many living paycheque to paycheque, that can be catastrophic.

health.costhelper.com...

Without health insurance, surgical treatment of a broken arm typically costs $16,000 or more. For example, surgical treatment of a fracture of the humerus (upper arm bone) costs about $14,911, not including the surgeon fee, at Baptist Memorial Health Care in Memphis, Tennessee. A typical surgeon fee for surgical treatment of a fracture could reach $2,000 or more, according to Carolina Orthopaedic Surgery Associates[4] .
A broken arm typically would be covered by health insurance. With health insurance, costs could include doctor visit copays and coinsurance of 30 percent or more for treatment, which could total thousands of dollars or the yearly out-of-pocket maximum.

I don't care who comes up with a plan, but we desperately need one. This is not a Right thing or Left thing, it's a We thing and We are getting seriously screwed.

No way the bills would come to a billion. Just do the math. That is $2.74 million dollars PER DAY over the course of a year. Someone misspoke.

With that said, life saving technology is expensive. My daughter was born six weeks premature 3 months ago. Our tab was pushing $150,000 for her 3 week stay. Thank God she is healthy and ok. But this is why having good insurance is critical and why we don't skimp on it.

The system is broken and it mainly starts with too much government interference.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Wow.

This is why I am against tort reform, and against a limit on auto insurance med coverage (in Mich) and I think we need medicare for all. And it is a cost that cuts the for profits out of the system.

It is done in other countries much cheaper and the health out comes are much better. We are 30th in health outcomes (behind Columbia) and #1 in cost. Guess why?

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   

I should probably edit the OP. They said close to a billion.

Oh...I just reread it. I did say "close to" a billion. I think that whoever talked to them was trying to to get across the fact that this is going to be very, very expensive.

If this were my thread, the title would say: "A BILLION Dollars for Lifetime Medical Care!"

That makes it easy to find using the ATS search function, for those of us who may want to revisit this thread in the future.

link   
a reply to: Edumakated

This was not just for one year, they're looking at all cost for the future, possibly even into her teenage years.

link   

Good idea. Changed it.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Wow even with all the govt interference the money is rolling in in dump trucks to the health insurance cos.

In fact, UnitedHealth announced record-breaking profits in 2015, followed by an even better year this year. In July 2016, UnitedHealth celebrated revenues that quarter totalling $46.5 billion, an increase of $10 billion since the same time last year.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Wow even with all the govt interference the money is rolling in in dump trucks to the health insurance cos.

In fact, UnitedHealth announced record-breaking profits in 2015, followed by an even better year this year. In July 2016, UnitedHealth celebrated revenues that quarter totalling $46.5 billion, an increase of $10 billion since the same time last year.

That's because much of it is Government (aka "taxpayer") money. United Healthcare is making big bucks from administering ObamaCare's MEDICAID EXPANSION program in 31 states.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Good idea. Changed it.

Looks great now. Simultaneously Attention Getting and Descriptive. Thanks!!

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Right? I mean, they're on their way to the poor house and bread lines!
They were down $350 million, but they still made over $60 billion. That's what disgusts me. It's just never enough.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   

That's 12,500,000 a year for 80 years. I can't see the costs being that no matter how sick someone is.

I had a buddy who had surgery for a cancerous tumor in his back-long story short it was a $250,000 surgery and 2 months in super duper physical therapy @ $5,000 a day.

Things are expensive but.....
edit on 22-5-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join