It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Phoenix Deputies Fingerprint Drivers At Traffic Stops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Sparking criticism from civil rights groups, Sheriff's deputies in the Phoenix area, are now asking for a fingerprint for certain traffic stops. Sheriff Joe Arpaio says that this pilot program is designed to help prevent identity theft. Identity theft in Phoenix is the highest per capital complaints in the Untied States. The fingerprinting is voluntary.

story.news.yahoo.com
PHOENIX - Sheriff's deputies in the Phoenix area on Thursday began asking drivers getting ticketed for certain traffic violations to provide their fingerprints, drawing criticism from civil rights activists.

The fingerprinting is part of a pilot program that Sheriff Joe Arpaio says will help fight identity theft in Phoenix. The city has the highest per-capita rate of identity theft complaints in the country, according to the Federal Trade Commission.

The fingerprinting would help identify people with stolen or falsified driver's licenses, the sheriff said. It also ensures that innocent people whose identities are stolen do not get charged with crimes they did not commit.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Who in thier right mind would give a fingerprint voluntarily? The prints are asked for when a criminal ticket is given not a civil one. However, the whole "identity theft" excuse seems really shady to me as well.

[edit on 2/4/05 by FredT]

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   
As long as it's still voluntary, there is no violation of civil rights. The problem as I see it, is there will be an automatic suspicion attached to anyone who refuses.

This is somewhat similar to taking DNA samples from the populace to help capture rapists and murderers. Some people say "I don't plan on killing anyone, so it doesn't bother me." I would caution against thinking that this will end the same way it began, subtley. Once you start down a path like this, the end is a perpetual mirage, IMO.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
First it was Green Bay now Phoenix, seems to be catching on if you ask me.

I can see it now.

Sir can I have your fingerprint please

Of course officer.

Ok hang on while I finish writting out the ticket sir >> Walks back to car inserts fingerprint into his trusty little scanner. One or two minutes later results come back saying individual is wanted for (Insert Crime).

Officer walks back to car and pulls out gun, tells the man to step out of car stating he his under arrest.

All very legal because the man gave him the fingerprint voluntarily.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Yes this whole thing is very disconcerting--despite it being voluntary.

I can envision a future whereby everyone will be required to give a DNA sample to law enforcement (program starting with newborns) so that DNA collected from future crime scenes can be cross-referenced in a data base and a suspect identified. After all; if you're an innocent person with nothing to hide why would you object to this?

The fundamental problem, as I see it, is that one basic freedom will be lost: that is the freedom of anonymity. The ability to live "off the grid" is a very important part of the priciples of freedom in America. But this type of lifestyle is gradually shrinking away as technology becomes more pervasive in our indiviual lives.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I love it.
'Prevention' is the name of the game and its voluntary, too!
WooHoo, no hearing crap on "well, its a violation of my rights and privacy."

Oh...
Whats that?
Now its the cries of basic freedoms lost?
Hello? Don't think so?
Why?
Cause you volunteered.

Freedom_for_sum:

...this type of lifestyle is gradually shrinking away as technology becomes more pervasive in our indiviual lives.

Excellent point.

seekerof

[edit on 4-2-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
hmmm, Osama sighted in Az. & now fingerprinting at traffic stops? they might need to get out of the sun more often.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
I love it.
'Prevention' is the name of the game and its voluntary, too!
WooHoo, no hearing crap on "well, its a violation of my rights and privacy."

Oh...
Whats that?
Now its the cries of basic freedoms lost?
Hello? Don't think so?
Why?
Cause you volunteered.

Immagine if NO ONE volunteered. Wouldn't that render this program ineffective? BTW, it may voluntary now. The problem I have is that it's not that great a leap to go the next step. Today, we find cameras at many intersections (red light runners) and now they're installing them on our local freeways to catch speeders. How difficult would it be to cross reference the pictures taken with these cameras against those in face recognition software to apprehend suspects?

I'm afraid our liberties are being slowly eroded away.

new topics

top topics

join