It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would You Trust a Public Defender

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper
a reply to: JinMI

Public Defender's are worthless and work entirely with the prosecutor and not the defendant. Unfortunately, I speak from personal experience. I had a public pretender and I basically defended my own case while he over and over again tried to talk me into plea bargains that were not in my best interest when there wasn't a case against me at all. I beat the case and then he pretended like he did me a great service. What a joke. I saw it then that they are entirely in the pocket of the state. He strolls in the same social circles as the judge and the DA. And this is a small town.

Like the poster above me said, if you can, find an affordable attorney.

Defending yourself is better than a Public Pretender. Everything you said was true.

In fact I read a study that said like 78% (+ or -) of people with Public Pretenders get convicted, whereas only 23% of pro se defendants get convicted.

So basically you don't even need to know any laws or anything about procedure, you're far better off just going in there and telling the judge the truth about what happened and defend yourself. The odds are far more in your favor just winging it on your own.

I know as a fact that many PD's work FOR THE DA not for the defendant. It's disgusting how corrupt the system truly is.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Buy him a real attorney.
Money is not that important.

Going to prison can mean rape and death.
Do you really think this person deserves that?

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

A public defender is not free.
The state pays the lawyer fees and you run up a bill to be paid back later.

I have never needed one so I can't give to many details.

This is 100% true. I have had a public defender and am still getting my tax returns intercepted 10 years later.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Hope your not in I Oakland county!

If you are, someone I know (?) doesn't recommend the public defenders it will just make you feel like more of a sucker In the long run...

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: bknapple32
And if you want true opinions, nature of the crime really kinda matters. I mean are we talking non violent?

Yes, non violent.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

Buy him a real attorney.
Money is not that important.

Going to prison can mean rape and death.
Do you really think this person deserves that?

Money is important as to whether it is available. Should I not feed my toddler to lessen someone else's sentence. Real scenario.

I know a few convicts and have knows double that over the years. You know what they fear? County jail food.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: SteamyJeans
Hope your not in I Oakland county!

If you are, someone I know (?) doesn't recommend the public defenders it will just make you feel like more of a sucker In the long run...

Macomb actually.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Not much to add except that the others are correct that PD's are crap and will persuade you to take a plea deal. Sometimes they (prosecutor) charge you with something seriously overboard, just so that when your PD offers the REAL charge, it seems as if he saved your butt.. People get scared thinking they will never win, and go to prison, so they accept the plea ("real") charge to avoid the exaggerated charge.
edit on 18-5-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   

My brother got into felony offense charges along with my cousin and another friend. Maybe each state is different but he was allowed to settle on a PD he felt gave him the best chance to represent him. He met with over a dozen PD before deciding on one to go with, that took an extra 2 months in jail, which he was given credit for. My cousin and his family paid for their own attorney that cost them around 30 grand and results were the same both got ten and both were out after four.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
Not much to add except that the others are correct that PD's are crap and will persuade you to take a plea deal. Sometimes they (prosecutor) charge you with something seriously overboard, just so that when your PD offers the REAL charge, it seems as if he saved your butt.. People get scared thinking they will never win, and go to prison, so they accept the plea ("real") charge to avoid the exaggerated charge.

Fair point and I've already factored that into my brain.

Basically it will boil down to how much time, not if there is time, as far as I understand the story. I've yet to see any evidence nor have they. Simply had the arraignment.

All options are on the table at this point.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Well, I know a public defender that is a pretty good lawyer. He will help you out, but usually by making deals if you are guilty. If you are not guilty at all, maybe you want to get a lawyer that will find you a loop hole. It seems that all lawyers try to make deals, the Judges usually go along with reducing the sentence and sometimes they run a delay of sentence for a first time offender, which means if you keep your nose clean for a year, you can get the conviction taken off your record. It usually comes with mandatory probation.

It depends on the charge too. If there was no rape or armed robbery or violence, a public defender is fine. I think the deal a good one makes is just as good as some of the private lawyers make. It depends on the lawyer though, if you get a decent public defender or a good paid lawyer if you can afford one, you do good. Just because someone has a legal degree and charges people does not mean they are good

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   

If it's a choice between your kid and some guy, choose your kid.

If you know he's nailed just let the defender fork him over for a plea bargain.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

DO NOT do that.

I have seen to many bad cases. They will put forth the least amount of effort as possible.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: wickd_waze

My brother got into felony offense charges along with my cousin and another friend. Maybe each state is different but he was allowed to settle on a PD he felt gave him the best chance to represent him. He met with over a dozen PD before deciding on one to go with, that took an extra 2 months in jail, which he was given credit for. My cousin and his family paid for their own attorney that cost them around 30 grand and results were the same both got ten and both were out after four.

That's good advice.

Being willing to sit a lil longer (esp if you know you're gonna be there awhile anyways) to pick a good attorney is a very good choice.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Seconded.. If this touches your bill money AT ALL. You protect your child. (as you know of course). End of story.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

He's guilty, by admission even. However, the charges are quite extreme and there is other context which does not necessarily function within the statute would/could/should provide a lesser sentence.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
My roommate just got off way easy for a DUI in a country close to you. I'm not sure the lawyers specialty but PM for his info if you need.

Good luck .

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   

It's not quite that extreme either. It isn't just some guy but someone close, i guess that's my fault for being slightly cryptic.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I appreciate all the information you guys are offering.

Every post(er) is being taken into consideration.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Does he deserve the time?

ETA Or to ask another way. Is the time faced, warranted for the crime? For instance, I would consider any sentence for possession of marijuana as never warranted for any time.. But Im a leftist .. haha
edit on 18-5-2017 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-5-2017 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join