It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DO YOU REMEMBER? reality perception&mandela effect

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Let's not jump on the bandwagon of 2016/2017 countless blogs, videos and posts regarding things that people remember being different before - which some of you would call false memories and others consider mandela effects. Let's start from the beginning instead.

In January 2010 in ATS thread Dead Celebrities that are now alive member Oleus mentioned people remembering Nelson Mandela's death while at that time Mandela was still alive. His official DOD is December 5, 2013.

originally posted by: oleus art bell was talking about the nelson mandela death memory thing pretty recently on one of his visits back to hosting coast to coast am. i hadn't heard anything about this anomaly before, it's pretty fascinating. there's definitely a firmness in so many people's point of view on mandela and billy graham in particular that seems to be well outside of random...art was 100% positive that he was living under the assumption that mandela died in prison, and that it was a well covered story. very bizarre.... [edit on 1-1-2010 by oleus]

Going back in time using google trends, i've compared three search interests, mandela death vs. mandela is dead vs. mandela dead and as you can clearly see from the graph there were 14 searches in August 2007. One of those searches was Me googling from the Netherlands. I remember searching for it and being surprised he is alive but i don't recall what was the onset for me to notice something being 'off' but whatever it was i wasn't alone because 14 of us around the globe noticed something that day.

trends.embed.renderExploreWidget("TIMESERIES", ["comparisonItem":[["keyword":"mandela death","geo":"","time":"2004-01-01 2017-05-13"],["keyword":"mandela is dead","geo":"","time":"2004-01-01 2017-05-13"],["keyword":"mandela dead","geo":"","time":"2004-01-01 2017-05-13"]],"category":0,"property":""], ["exploreQuery":"date=all&q=mandela%20death,mandela%20is%20dead,mandela%20dead","guestPath":"https://trends.google.com:443/trends/embed/"]);

This brief introduction is supposed to show you guys that it wasn't december 2013 after the funeral of Nelson Mandela that made people realize he died before nor was it some girl named Fiona in 2014 who 'invented' or coined the term mandela effect. I believe this is utterly important to know and understand in order to proceed with some kind of rational and lucid discussion.

...to be continued
edit on 13-5-2017 by Exitt because: too bad i can't embed

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   
For some reason, I distinctly remember Billy Graham's funeral. I know he is still alive, but I honestly do remember him dying. His funeral was a grand affair, with the President [ ? ] and several heads of state attending.
Weird.
But....I think it may have been a different person and people were making a big deal of Billy Graham giving the eulogy. I heard his name connected with it so much, my memory tells me it was his funeral.

edit on 13-5-2017 by DAVID64 because: It Saturday. Gimme a break.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   
You cannot use HTML or script tags on ATS, only BBcode is allowed... In any instances, I've tried running your cofe on my html tester, it returns a blank page.

But I believe you can let people check trends using this simple link: trends.google.com...

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Exitt

Going back in time using google trends, i've compared three search interests, mandela death vs. mandela is dead vs. mandela dead and as you can clearly see from the graph there were 14 searches in August 2007. One of those searches was Me googling from the Netherlands. I remember searching for it and being surprised he is alive but i don't recall what was the onset for me to notice something being 'off' but whatever it was i wasn't alone because 14 of us around the globe noticed something that day.

14 people that day noticed, not sure on the statistics of it, but there are currently over 3 Billion internet users, I am pretty sure on any one day there will be 14 matching searches for all manner of strange and wierd things, some may not even exist and some will be just down right filthy!!

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown

14 people that day noticed, not sure on the statistics of it, but there are currently over 3 Billion internet users, I am pretty sure on any one day there will be 14 matching searches for all manner of strange and wierd things, some may not even exist and some will be just down right filthy!!

I gave you a star and wish to discuss your comment further.
The reason i started this thread and the reason i mentioned 2007 is because whenever i try to tell people this did NOT start in 2013 after Mandela died people usually dismiss it. I'm positive that when the time comes and people stop calling this the mandela effect is the time we can all join in including the people not experiencing any changes.

So, i had a baby and a c-section spending my days in bed with a newborn and my laptop in 2007. I remember something happening that led me to search on the internet when Mandela died or did he even die at all - i just don't know what it was. If you take some time and search on google trends you will see that there were zero searches in 2005 or in 2009 etc etc. That means that yes people search for weird things all the time but not in this case. Death of Nelson Mandela is not a random search and the very same graph proves it.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

oh well, disregard because the ATS obviously doesn't like scripts.
edit on 13-5-2017 by Exitt because:

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
For some reason, I distinctly remember Billy Graham's funeral. I know he is still alive, but I honestly do remember him dying. His funeral was a grand affair, with the President [ ? ] and several heads of state attending.
Weird.
But....I think it may have been a different person and people were making a big deal of Billy Graham giving the eulogy. I heard his name connected with it so much, my memory tells me it was his funeral.

Damn, I thought the same thing. After a quick search...he's still alive. Still, I don't buy the Mandela Effect, but Graham still being alive gave me pause...thanks for the Saturday morning mind f$&k

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Exitt

The reason i started this thread and the reason i mentioned 2007 is because whenever i try to tell people this did NOT start in 2013 after Mandela died people usually dismiss it.

Correct, people have been misquoting that famous quote from The Empire Strikes Back years before Mandela's death, or when people think of Colonel Sanders, who many kids believed (including myself) that he was a real Colonel, but he was not and that was before Mandela was released from prison.

I don't know why it's called the Mandela effect, surely there must be a better term for the phenomenon. Collective amnesia? who knows; all I know this effect existed long before Mandela.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

The Mandela effect is easily explained when you think of quantum physics people just have a hard time accepting that. If we aren't being naive we are obviously clashing with other parallel universes and just dont have the proper terms to describe this unprecedented event in human history. But let's all be psychologists and say its false memory

The next generation of kids will be learning about quantum theory and entanglement and the infinite possibilities of the universe... We are on the verge of many great advances or great destruction oo well yolo

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I think Graham being alive throws everyone off
because he is at every single funeral held
for American dignitaries.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Ok, let's continue and talk about context.
There are 42 theories explaining this effect and what it could be and what it is not but it's a bit pointless to discuss them all since we simply don't know. So if you feel the need to theorize feel free to do so but a requirement of this thread is to simultaneously propose a new name for the effect. For example, we could name it tele-vision if only that name wasn't already taken.

Back to context, back to the year 2001, morning of September 11 to be precise. In Europe we were watching two planes fly into the Twin Towers in New York city. It was scary watching those events unfold but luckily another plane that flew into Pentagon made no casualties inside the building. No people were killed in Pentagon because there was some kind of renovation and everybody was working in another part of the building.

That's context for those of you who don't know. So even if you misremember the number of casualties you could never misremember the context of the story told, that's how we humans learn stuff.
Now go on and google the Pentagon attack.

Do you remember?

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

No casualties?? I specifically recall 189 casualties at the Pentagon that day. Though other reports document 125 (weird) but definitely casualties.
edit on 13-5-2017 by Cloudkikr because: Misspell

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Cloudkikr

Hi there Cloudkikr, what an awesome first post.
You didn't register just for this did ya? In that case i'm flattered.
Welcome to ATS, may your stay be filled with blinding white sunshine and unicorn rainbow dust.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Great observation! I definitely signed up for that comment and look forward to future attention grabbers floating around the dust and sunlight.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I agree that there absolutely should be a different name other then the Mandela Effect because it encompasses so much more then just Nelson Mandela. Me personally always remember Nelson Mandela being alive up until his death in 2013. At the same time I still do experience the effect and to me it's been deeply troubling. Troubling because I'm a big Star Wars fan and distinctly remember Darth Vadars famous line being, "Luke I Am Your Father" , not, "No I'm your father." I'm positive this has changed to the point where there is nothing anybody can say that will make me feel otherwise.

If it was just that one instance of change it would be scary to me but it's not. It's many things. It really is mind boggling to me to say the least. Obviously not everything is a "Mandela Effect" and we have to be careful with disinformation to put out that draws the attention away from solid concrete occurrences that many people can agree on.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Bcs8484

Troubling because I'm a big Star Wars fan and distinctly remember Darth Vadars famous line being, "Luke I Am Your Father" , not, "No I'm your father."

Weird.
In my timeline his name is Vader.

edit on 5/13/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Yes your are correct of course. What do you remember him saying though Phage?

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Anything with numbers I believe you automatically have to through out because people are always going to remember different numbers from a distant event. That'll easily be able to be disproven as a false memory.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   
It was probably CNN, but I am not sure of the network I was watching. There was a prison graphic... maybe just jail cell bars on the screen and they were talking about Mandela dying in prison.the news was just barely beginning to peak my interest, maybe 1990? I also remember him be released from prison and becoming the president

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Hi Exitt, you mentioned 42 theories explaining this effect.I was wondering if you had any links to share, I took a quick look on the net but nothing jumped out to me. Thank you

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join