It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Beginning of Totalitarianism in the U.S: The destruction of the memory of The Confederacy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on May, 11 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I know this post is going to draw a lot of flak on both sides, but I would be remiss if I didn't present the topic for everyone to think about. While I am not a proponent of the confederacy, what it stood for, or the ideals it championed, it is a piece of American history. The destruction of the historical monuments that have stood in our country since those days, commemorating the great event (Civil War) that defined our country's future and that of social ethics globally, is a sign of something far more dangerous. The beginnings of any totalitarian state are always the destruction and manipulation of its history, and even though I know that is an extreme connection here, when combined with many other current events in the U.S. today, it certainly leaves one wondering "how are we letting this happen?" I have see this great country go through various transformations, all of which had struggles, sacrifice and social change associated with it; heck the last 15 years alone have a been a whirlwind changing political and social atmospheres. However, through all this I cannot for the life of me remember and incident in which a U.S. monument(s) had been destroyed to satisfy those who have taken offence with it. As far as I can remember, our constitution provided us with rights, ALL OF US, the same rights, yet most recently what I held to be true has become hazy, interpretative, negotiable.... a shivering reminder that "everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others." I am allowed to speak, you are allowed to be offended and speak against me, you are allowed to agree with me, and at the end of the day we either find common ground, or agree to disagree. That seems to be a fading dream now, for if I speak you will hurt me, you convince others I have not offended to damn me, you will judge me of a crime and then perpetrate it yourself. I do not mean to digress, but the point here is that we are actively destroying our nations history, factual history, to satisfy those of whom it offends. This combined with the "Alt" movements on both sides and our current reality TV government leaves me speechless and disheartened. I wish to hear others opinions on this because in truth I sometimes wonder if this is what we were meant to do, to embrace the madness of this new mad world just to survive. I don't want that future for my kids, family, friends, neighbors, and fellow Americans. In short, I can understand your protests, whatever your viewpoint, but I cannot understand your destruction, and therefore manipulation, of history to suit your agenda. To me, that is what totalitarianism truly is and that is what I see in my country today. God bless us all, God bless America, and God save us from ourselves. Best wishes and health to all.

+3 more 
posted on May, 11 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
So should every act of treason against America be celebrated with statues?

+5 more 
posted on May, 11 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Mikemp44

there are many really, really stupid people who think that removing historical monuments that have slavery ties will somehow make the history go away.

In a few years, nobody will discuss the Civil War and kids won't ask questions about it due to seeing a statue that commemorated some part of it. After the monuments are removed, the discussion will be the next target and it will be ostracized. PC police are militant and will be along shortly.

+15 more 
posted on May, 11 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

The sanitization of history, and a pervasive political correctness, are properties of totalitarianism.

+1 more 
posted on May, 11 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
So should every act of treason against America be celebrated with statues?

Treason indeed.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

I agree with your premise, but it was treason to the union, not the constitution. The Confederacy had every right legally to succeed and become its own governing body. Again I do not support the ideas of the confederacy, but it did happen, good people did die, and to erase that memory is to doom ourselves to repeat it. Remember, to the crown our ancestors were all traitors too, but here we stand as free men and women. Thank you for the reply, and I'm glad you are thinking about this too. All opinions are welcome here and I thank you my friend for yours.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
George Santayana said: Those who do not know history's mistakes are doomed to repeat them.

Because the Confederate States of America made mistakes does not make them treasonous. If the war had gone the other way, we would be living in a more genteel country.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Agreed my friend, political correctness is nothing more than heavy shackles for the mind. Thank you for your opinion.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Exactly, which is why I fear this day in age in our country more than any I have known. Thank you for your post and opinion my friend.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

I was truly hesitant to post this thread, but your opinion has made me glad I did. Thank you my friend.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The treason thing always makes me chuckle...

If they were all guilty of treason why did so many political and military leaders get to go free and live the rest of their lives as they saw fit...

Scrubbing history is never a good thing... It should be discussed, hiding it leads to people drawing the wrong conclusions which leads to bad ideas... and eventually bad actions.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Very well said. Thank you my friend.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Totalitarianism in the U.S. began long before now, by scores of metrics far worse than a disdaining of a little controversial history.

But dont get me wrong:
CENSORSHIP: The Universal Language of Dictators
edit on 11-5-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

So states shouldn't not ever in history or the future be allowed to secede?

YOU'RE FREE TO LIVE UNDER OUR THUMB OR DIE.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Thanks for bringing this up, it's not just America trying to erase their "oppressive" history it's a phenomenon the world round e.g. South Africa and the #rhodesmustfall movement. I'm no historian but love all history and like you say those who forget it are bound to repeat it.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Next they will be trying to ban confederate history from being taught at all. Also spinning the notion that non-conformity is frowned upon in society and one day made illegal.

Writing or speaking forms of dissent and protest will be met with interviews by a sanctioned welfare police force. You may be subject to arrest and interrogation without notice...

History is history. Just because you're offended doesnt give you the right to demand its removal or destruction. Go live in Iran or North Korea if you want to live like a slave and treat everyone with the "mob" mentality.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

There are approximately 45 million African Americans. Most of which are descendent's of slaves.

I would assume their feelings have to be taken into account. Not a good thing having reminders of the slave era on public show.

Just my opinion anyway.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

A couple of things that bother me about these statues being relocated.

Why? for one. They are just putting them back up in a museum. Whats the point?

Another is the way they are going about it. They are dressing up these city workers in combat gear. Bullet proof vests and helmets at 2a.m.??? With cops and demonstrators all around them.

It is as if they are making out these city workers lives have been threatened. Playing victim it looks like to me. Who is going to kill a $12 an hour city worker for doing his job? They are not taking them down just because they want to.

Oooh those evil right wing types are a threat, or atleast that is what it appears to me they are attempting to give the illusion of.

If the statues were offending someone, who?

Ive been to N.O. on a number of occasions including as a middle school chaperone. Nobody was offended by them and many posed for pictures with these statues.

Alabama passed a law recently protecting civil war monuments. I am now glad they did, just cant believe it was necessary.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Look im half black and half of my family is black with traces of their history going back to the slave era. They have all accepted that it happened and they all agreeing although it was a bad time but most of my family nor myself wouldnt exist if it didnt happen.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: 4N0M4LY
a reply to: alldaylong

Look im half black and half of my family is black with traces of their history going back to the slave era. They have all accepted that it happened and they all agreeing although it was a bad time but most of my family nor myself wouldnt exist if it didnt happen.

As i stated. It is my opinion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join