It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Liberals Aren’t as Tolerant as They Think

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
Because we all know being gay and Muslim is the worse possible human condition.

I completely disagree. And if this is how you want to approach the subject, then nothing good is going to come from us discussing it.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
There is a deep racial divide, in the U.S., and it is growing. Discussing it is fretful because these are sensitive matters. I don't want to say anything that will hurt or offend someone and/or be seized on to unfairly label me as racist

After Obama was elected, it seemed to me the black people I never met before were nicer to me. I not saying I would not have any anxiety walking down Lincoln street in Newark. But black people everywhere else seem much nicer to me at work and around my home town.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Because we all know being gay and Muslim is the worse possible human condition.

I completely disagree. And if this is how you want to approach the subject, then nothing good is going to come from us discussing it.

What is there to discuss. The right wingers and conservatives say liberals are poo poo. I was just trying to figure out what it means when liberals are intolerant. If you can't answer this simple question then no problem.

edit on 10-5-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

There is a deep racial divide, in the U.S., and it is growing. Discussing it is fretful because these are sensitive matters. I don't want to say anything that will hurt or offend someone and/or be seized on to unfairly label me as racist

After Obama was elected, it seemed to me the black people I never met before were nicer to me. I not saying I would not have any anxiety walking down Lincoln street in Newark. But black people everywhere else seem much nicer to me at work and around my home town.

Well, I live in a fully integrated, urban neighborhood. And I agree, my neighbors are not any different towards me than they ever were -- and I have lived here for 16 years.

That said, the racial divide I speak of is more of an anonymous thing. It's a growing broad assumption that white people hate black people and vice versa. People who have never met one another seem to be making more and greater assumptions about each other. And that is palpable as I cruise the internet.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Your reference to DeVoss had more to do with her blatantly false statement about black colleges and universities being the paragon of school choice. The students were pissed about that ignorant statement, and yes, it was ignorant.

I have personally never called anyone a racist xenophobe simply because they are against illegal immigration. I might call someone a racist xenophobe if they refer to all Hispanics who risk their lives in order to come here illegally (because they don't have the clout, money or the luxury of time) to provide safety and security for themselves and their families as "trash", rapists and murderers.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I was just trying to figure out what it means when liberals are intolerant. If you can't answer this simple question then no problem.

Your comment I responded to previously is a perfect example...not that I judge you totally on that one comment, but it was intolerant and asinine.
edit on 10-5-2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Thank you!

And that is exactly the same thing that is underscored by the research done in this article (the title of the thread is the title of the article by the way). And they cite more than just one study.

The end result is that we are becoming balkanized. When you live and interact in a community, that has less opportunity to happen as has been your experience. You know your neighbors, so you don't believe these things of them. Random strangers? Not as much.

But one of the reoccuring problems is the temptation to claim moral high ground based this or that trait, and one of the pernicious ones is "open-mindedness."

I am open-minded; therefore, I cannot be intolerant or prejudiced even as they are.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Really? None of those students chose to be there?

Furthermore, at a time when the regular system was not doing an adequate job educating black students at the university level, those universities did not open specifically to offer those students a choice they would not otherwise have had ... much like many charter and other schools are doing today in response to a public school system that criminally underserves black students?

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: kaylaluv

You didn't read did you?

This isn't about open-minded/close-minded, but it is about tolerance.

The paradox pointed out is that being open-minded as a value can make you prejudiced against those who do not share that value which is actually a form of intolerance.

If your open-mindedness actually made you tolerant, you wouldn't be so prejudiced against someone who held a view you consider close-minded, but clearly you are and that makes you intolerant rather than tolerant.

I'm sorry for being intolerant of your intolerance?

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Disagreeing with folks should not be a hate crime but pockets of the US have become a battleground to protect truth and freedom from being overwhelmed by feelings and emotions.

The POTUS only has to be shown in a visual somewhere and folks everywhere meltdown with calls for impeachment and assassination, and not necessarily in that order. The American political community should be sorely embarrassed atm, they seem to be ignoring Americas cry for help whilst they continue to come to terms with being told 'no, you can't have that' by other Americans who do not share the same opinions and values.

The world does not revolve around 'you'.

S&F.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   

You know very well that those black colleges and universities started up because there was NO CHOICE for blacks who wanted to go to college. Not a poor choice of where to go to college - NO CHOICE.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Why do we need to be tolerant?

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Because 'they' count on our intolerance to make sure we are divided and weak. Our intolerance is exploited to our detriment.

It's a choice though, not a mandate. I don't want to be divided and weak so I ditched my party affiliation and all the bitter intolerance that comes with it.

But no one has to be tolerant.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Bigotry is bigotry whether done for duty, profit or fun.

Don't be a bigot. It's not that hard but some people need to try harder than others.

And some people are just supremacists.

We're all humans, even those that think otherwise. We all just want to live a happy life. Political ideology, religion, skin color, sexual preference, etc... these things only matter once you start acting like yours is superior to someone else.

And it may be hypocritical but I do think lower of any type of supremacist. That's my bigotry, but I try to be tolerant.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

I was just trying to figure out what it means when liberals are intolerant. If you can't answer this simple question then no problem.

Your comment I responded to previously is a perfect example...not that I judge you totally on that one comment, but it was intolerant and asinine.

With all due respect, please give me a concrete example of when liberals are intolerant that isn't some meta-argument. Your comment, "Your comment I responded to previously is a perfect example" is a meta-argument.

All I want is one example of a liberal being intolerant. If all the criticism is liberals labeling right wingers and conservatives with labels like "racist" then you are missing what you are doing that makes you a racist. A skunk can't his own stink.

So what you are saying is right wingers and conservatives are not deserving of any criticisms from liberals of any kind.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

What exactly do you want to be intolerant about?

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Anything I want to be intolerant about.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Oh, ok. 'Meta arguments' don't count as examples of intolerant behavior because you say so.

Whatever. That's just ridiculous.

Exploiting feelings of racial injustice to make a political point is exploitation of racial minorities. Whether you approve of that line of debate or not.

You were very intolerant in several of your comments on this thread. You walked on the backs of gay muslims to try to score a cheap political point.

You can't even say you have black friends...just people you work with and share a hometown with. Yet, you dare to judge others as racist. At least I live in a black neighborhood and can speak to 16 years of personal relationships. And I have other friends/people, who are important in my life, that happen to be black. And I spend my dollars at local minority owned and operated businesses...and I have done so for 16 years.

No, right wingers and conservatives are no more deserving of your criticisms than YOU ARE. Criticize yourself.

edit on 10-5-2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Anything I want to be intolerant about.

So in terms of government by we the people, if a study shows black people driving in their car have a greater frequency of being stopped by police with no cause than white people, is this a public issue that needs to addressed by public policy? Are you saying this should be a non-issue and people of color should just take it?

You do realize when people protest this issue they are not protesting against people who think this issue is irrelevant. They are actually protesting the actual grievance. They are not protesting your reaction to their protest. Do you think people are protesting against you having an negative reaction to their protesting?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join