It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What band has you mystified for life?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Then as now, great band, great performers, great 'atmosphere'.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

In The Light. Some great mixes came out recently. One has been posted in my OP

I think I decided to post this topic because I bought a new edition of the BBC album. Has some new material on there and you know how stingy Page has been with the archive material.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Gotten greedy in old age? Lost sight, I guess...

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Gotten greedy in old age? Lost sight, I guess...

Releasing the goodies may spoil some of the mystery, but I'm a sucker for demos and alternate mixes. I'm pleased with the new issues that came out.

edit on 9-5-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   
No doubt about it, Zeppelin definitely had a mystique about them
1 of the top 3 of that generation of music...Black Sabbath and The Who being the other 2.
This song has always been one of my favorites from Zep.
Epic.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

wub wub wub wub wub wub

First dubstep ever.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Hangman, Hangman, hold it a little while--I think I see my dear friend ridin' many miles...

...But now I laugh and pull so hard
And see you swinging on the gallows pole

edit on 9-5-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Tomas Kalnoky AKA "Toh Kay"
Wikipedia

I've loved his music ever since I first heard one of his songs... and I haven't found a song of his that I'm not fond of at all. They're all great.

First of all, he's basically the lifeblood of the band Streetlight Manifesto, which is easily one of my most favorite bands of all time. It's probably where he's most well known since he's spent most of his musical career with them and they're the most "mainstream" (if you can even call it that) of his endeavors. Prior to that he was in the band Catch 22 and another small band in the mid-90's. I don't know much about the earlier band, but Catch 22 and Streetlight Manifesto are both considered Ska-Punk.

Here's probably my favorite Streetlight Manifesto song(s) [It's technically 2 songs back-to-back]:

Next up, he's been going solo as Toh Kay, where he mostly releases accoustic versions of Streetlight Manifesto Songs. These could actually be considered the original songs since he writes them in the first place, and they're probably what he comes up with on his own before adapting it to the multiple instruments and more aggressive tone in Streetlight Manifesto. This has gotten him in legal trouble with the record label Victory Records, as they claim those songs are their property under the Streetlight Manifesto records they have produced.

Just to put that a little more simple and easier to understand: He's been sued for copying his own songs. Yep. That's a thing, and it's very sad.

On April 30th, 2013 he released an album, "The Hands That Thieve" under the Streetlight Manifesto name:

I like this album a lot, but...

The same day, he also released an album under his solo name, Toh Kay, called "The Hand That Thieves" which is essentially an acoustic version of the album:

... I LOVE this version. I like it a lot better than the Streetlight Manifesto version.

Finally, there is his side-project called Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution, or B.O.T.A.R. I don't believe he's written and recorded many songs with them, but their sound is somewhere in between that of Toh Kay and Streetlight Manifesto, and it's amazing:

Hope some of you find his work enjoyable.

EDIT: Just read some news from April 19th that Streetlight Manifesto and Victory records settled. Victory sold the rights to the songs to Streetlight Manifesto and ended their contract. Streetlight Manifesto has now started their own record label encompassing Toh Kay and B.O.T.A.R. as well, without having to deal with anyone else telling them what to do. Hopefully this is the creative license that Tomas Kalnoky was in need of.
edit on 10-5-2017 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 01:34 AM
link   
-TOOL-

Lifetime honor fan....I have medals to prove it! Lol.

ETA: I won't embed a particular video. I think the research is half the journey.
edit on E31America/ChicagoWed, 10 May 2017 01:37:48 -05005amWednesdayth01am by EternalShadow because: add

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Pantera; down, meshuggah, Fear Factory.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 04:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

Hangman, Hangman, hold it a little while--I think I see my dear friend ridin' many miles...

...But now I laugh and pull so hard
And see you swinging on the gallows pole

ever hear the original? played on a 12 string

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Ipi Tombi Mon 1974

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 04:25 AM
link   
youtu.be...

INXS ... Mystify Me.

😊

ED: It's OK, I know you have a thing for Steve Buschimi ...
edit on 10-5-2017 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

"The wheels of his Mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45 True Death: 400 Horsepower of maximum performance piercing the night This is Black Sunshine"

Finally nothing moves. High noon. Black top rolling below the asphalt drive A concrete fascination scraping the edge of nothing This is Black Sunshine"

Holy Crap I listened to that song a few hours ago, after that I digged through the ditches and burned through the witches and slammed into the back of your Dragula. Sorry about that, we'll exchange insurance details at [email protected]

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
-TOOL-

Lifetime honor fan....I have medals to prove it! Lol.

ETA: I won't embed a particular video. I think the research is half the journey.

Agree! While I love many of the other bands listed here, the question was what band "mystifies" you? Tool's music/lyrics were the first that really drove me to research their meaning, because something in the music drove me to want to know...

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Geez, with all you guys saying Tool (agree) and the Led, I thought one of you would have posted this tool track covering No Quarter.

Gee, for me it's too hard to pick one band.... I'm a cheating pleb, so I will say Tool (live were awesome), Radiohead (so many album masterpieces), Elbow (Guy's tone of voice and just a great band low on the "look at me play your face orf" stuff, they just know what a moving piece of music is supposed to be.

And, further cheating here - watch this short film/awesome song. (may be really confronting for some who struggle with drug use/abuse)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
Pantera; down, meshuggah, Fear Factory.

A big I..I from me, I love those bands, especially the latter.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   
DP
edit on 10-5-2017 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

I wasn't gonna comment about Pink FLoyd or Zep because lets be honest who doesn't like them but you just made my day

Loreena brings out so much emotion .....
enjoy

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join