It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

who were the baddest dudes around?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.
I cried when I read this.

Gunther? Is that you?

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
The Riffs from the movie " The Warriors"....Hahaha..

On a serious note, the Samurai were no joke.

edit on E31America/ChicagoSun, 07 May 2017 16:16:42 -05005pmSundayth04pm by EternalShadow because: a correction

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

originally posted by: schuyler
Neanderthals win hands down. EXTREMELY Harsh ice-age climate. Primitive technology. Mega beasts hunting them back, including likely Homo sapiens. You can't compare that to any relatively modern culture.

Except the humans at the time beat them senseless with roughly the same tech level...

So then who had a rougher life?

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I'm sure some seafaring folk found themselves seriously f#ked when the came ashore at certain islands.

Let's not discount our island brothers.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow

I second that. The residents of Riker's are certainly some very bad people.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: EternalShadow

I second that. The residents of Riker's are certainly some very bad people.

Touché......LOL

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
double post.
edit on 5/7/2017 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

The Vikings no doubt! (but iam biased on this one, iam from scandinavien)

Worsed thing that could happen to a Viking, is NOT dying in battle, and miss the opportunity to go to Valhalla.
Why do you say? in Valhalla you start EVERYDAY by eating, drinking and partying, then you end the day with one big battle where you fight till you die, then reset and repeat until ragnarok

There is theories about some of the vikings, known as beserkers, ate mushrooms (Amanita muscaria) before battle but according to this article The Truth about Viking Beserkers it is more likely they went into a self-induced hypnotic trance.

The most probable explanation for ‘going berserk’ comes from psychiatry. The theory is that the groups of warriors, through ritual processes carried out before a battle (such as biting the edges of their shields), went into a self-induced hypnotic trance. In this dissociative state they lost conscious control of their actions, which are then directed subconsciously. People in this state seem remote, have little awareness of their surroundings and have reduced awareness of pain and increased muscle strength. Critical thinking and normal social inhibitions weaken, but the people affected are not unconscious.

from the same source

The berserkers are spoken of as fearsome enemies to meet. They were often said to be so intoxicated by battle-lust that they bit their shields, attacked boulders and trees and even killed each other while they were waiting for battles to begin.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Really? Drink the horses blood, while still riding?
I need to look that one up! Not that I don't believe you, it makes perfect sense.
I'm Curious as to where they would cut the horse, and what they would drink it with.
Considering they depended on the horse to get anywhere and for battle, so I would assume, they would take care of it as they would a fellow fighter.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: Mandroid7
Neanderthal man's body was structured differently, giving them a physical advantage over today's humans. I would also infer when they fought, they fought with the intent that every blow was delivered to kill. I believe even the heavyweights of MMA would have a hell of a battle one on one with a neanderthal. Bruce Lee would be dead in under minute unless he runs away.

Sorry, but you can't "power" your way out of Jiu JItsu.

I learned this going into Jits class as a wrestler that started at 5 years old.

I could destroy most wrestlers, but got my ass handed to me by a 100lb 15 year old at my first Jits class.

Neanderthal man would get wrapped up and snapped like a pretzel.

Most of the grappling martial arts deal with manipulation of joints and muscles, on top of lethal chokes.

An arm for instance, can curl 200 lbs, and push can 200 lbs, but if you grab an elbow, hold it in, you can twist it sideways and dislocate it at the shoulder with little to no force.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
MIYAMOTO MUSASHI!!

Best swordsman ever. Won his first duel at age 12 against a grown man...using only a wooden stick.

Took out entire SCHOOLS of samaruai that were centuries old.

"The Book of 5 Rings" classic book everyone should read.

Dude basically wandered most his life. Some 60 odd duels (most to the death) and never lost.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: Mandroid7
True, but your not a bad ass if you need a weapon.

Your just fighting like a little girl, that's afraid to lose.
Just like a scared gang banger.

I would take just about any garden variety MMA fighter against anyone mentioned above, including the neanderthal man.

Maybe in a fight sure. Modern mma man isn't going to sleep in a mud hut warmed with ox # and ride 100 miles on an animal in the desert and then slaughter people. Not happening. Modern mma man would be crying for mommy

Hey, if you want to associate riding horses and dirty houses with being a badass, have at it.

I haven't been training since I moved, but I still know a few pro MMA fighters.

These guys eat, sleep, crap extreme conditioning. Fighting with 20 different people every night in class.

Ride a horse, and live in a hut?

Jeeze, sounds like they would just bring the lice.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   

I would take just about any garden variety MMA fighter against anyone mentioned above, including the neanderthal man.

Lol, if surrounded by dead ninjas then who's the bad ass?

This isn't a Bruce Lee movie were guns are written out of the script.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I'd go with either Eskimos or Australian Aborigines. Anybody can fight people, you have to be a real bad-ass to live where mother nature is actively trying to kill you. I can't see a Spartan looking at 1000 square miles of frozen tundra and saying, "This looks like a nice place to settle down."

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
I'm gonna say Gangis Kahn and his crew of nomads would have been very hard life style.
Living off the land where ever they set camp for the night.

That's a good suggestion. Mongolia is not a nice place to live. Very harsh climate and they lived in yurts ... big tents.

I know they didn't war, so no warrior culture, but you have to hand it to the Inuit peoples and others who live in those types of climates. That takes tough!

You also have to look at some of the African tribal cultures too. There are some harsh landscapes in Africa.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Maybe in a fight sure. Modern mma man isn't going to sleep in a mud hut warmed with ox # and ride 100 miles on an animal in the desert and then slaughter people. Not happening. Modern mma man would be crying for mommy

Hey, if you want to associate riding horses and dirty houses with being a badass, have at it.

These guys eat, sleep, crap extreme conditioning. Fighting with 20 different people every night in class.

its not that but im talking all around tough people. mma dudes eat sleep and crap training. what do they eat? protein bars and nutrition shakes. food from a grocery store....vikings had to catch whales and #.

thats a different kind of tough....

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Good job on the thread!
SnF

All I know for a fact is if you messed with Doc Holiday.

Read a lot about him and some of the terms used by those
that knew him.

The devil with six guns

Slicker than sh1t thru a goose

Slicker than snot

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Neanderthals win hands down. EXTREMELY Harsh ice-age climate. Primitive technology. Mega beasts hunting them back, including likely Homo sapiens. You can't compare that to any relatively modern culture.

Except the humans at the time beat them senseless with roughly the same tech level...

So then who had a rougher life?

They shared the same environment...

From what I remember they were stronger, but had way shorter stumpier legs.. So they just couldn't compete over distances.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   

its not that but im talking all around tough people. mma dudes eat sleep and crap training. what do they eat? protein bars and nutrition shakes. food from a grocery store....vikings had to catch whales and #.

thats a different kind of tough....

Yea but Vikings didn't send every 8 year old to satans summer camp , where they were beaten and starved until they were in their 20's while spending there every waking moment devoted to combat.. As with the Spartans..

Vikings were big and mean, but didn't have great strategies.. They used there ships to avoid combat if they didn't have the advantage.

IMHO Vikings wouldn't even crack the top 5 toughest.

I don't think 20,000 Vikings could break a spartan shield wall of 10,000.

edit on 7-5-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Lol, if surrounded by dead ninjas then who's the bad ass?

This isn't a Bruce Lee movie were guns are written out of the script.

That's pretty interesting concept..

Could a rougher ancient compete 1v1 with a larger, better trained modern day combatant???

Maybe not..

But could a whole bunch of MMA guys win in a battle with 2 armies, when one has been trained since birth to stab people in the face with a spear??

I doubt it..

1v1 can be about skill level .. But once it is a battle psychology sets in and I don't think a modern army would be able to compete with the mentality required to stab a human in the face. Then watch the guy next to you get stabbed in the face, and still continue fighting..

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join