It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My cat got his paw ripped off by a trap!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

(this is not my cat)

My cat got his paw ripped off by a trap!

I can't even believe it! I really can't. I let my cat out this morning and he comes back to the house with a sizable portion of his right paw missing. 30 minutes...that's it. The same amount of time he is always let out for. The vet says it was probably a trap. The wound looks like a reverse "V" from the middle of his paw out to his claws. The vet is trying to save at least 3 of his claws...but is not sure that will happen.

And, well, now he is in the vets getting surgery done. An overnight stay...because someone decided to lay traps down on posted property. Worst yet, they set the traps, and seeing as how the majority of trapping season is over (most ends by the end of March) they just left them there. Not caring that removing them would eliminate some of the chances of domestic or other animals dying accidentally.

So, I looked up some statistics on trapping and really, it is a horrible way to die. But also, it is quite alarming that it isn't properly monitored. For every 1 targeted animal caught in a trap..2 unwanted animals are captured. Non-target animals comprised 76% of all animals captured in leg hold traps in a 1981 study. (there are not many statistics available, as trappers usually just leave unwanted carcasses in the woods to die.)

I was going to write up a huge thread with pictures and stories and how bad trapping is. But I decided not to. I do understand that no matter what I say or how I say it...trapping is going to continue. It is one of the oldest ways to hunt prey known to man. I get it.

But I do wonder if there is a way to make it more humane and also, maybe more safe for everyone. Is there a way to make sure that the traps set get picked back up at the end of the season? All of them? And is there any way that trappers can mark the location they put the trap in or anyway to let other people know what area one is set in?

Am I upset about it? Yes. I didn't expect that this would happen to my cat. Knowing that it is private property and we don't trap...I would've never even given this a thought. But now that I do know about it, how can I locate any other traps that have been set on my land and get rid of them? Is there a way to do this safely?

Just...just really upsetting...and I am thankful for any info/help anyone can give.

blend57

edit on 2-5-2017 by blend57 because: Always an edit! : /

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: blend57

I am so sorry. And absolutely ####ing horrified.

I hope your cat recovers well.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Oh my god I'm so sorry for you and your baby. I'm wishing the best for your kitty kat, it wasn't his or her fault

We set raccoon traps in the backyard, but the cage kind that won't hurt them..... Found a neighbors or a stray cat in there once. Poor fella, let him out asap he ran and never came back......

But for someone to leave a trap that actually can hurt not just animals but humans to, on someone else property or in a residential area is just wild to me. Where has the common courtesy gone!!!?

Heal up quickly little meow meow.

-Alee

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I'm not one of those anti hunting people.

But if you aren't going to do it responsibly, remove your traps, and respect others' property, then you shouldn't be allowed to hunt.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
So sorry, Blend.

That's a horrific thing to happen!

I hate animal traps, from mouse to bear and anything in between.
Such a lack of compassion.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   

But I do wonder if there is a way to make it more humane and also, maybe more safe for everyone. Is there a way to make sure that the traps set get picked back up at the end of the season? All of them? And is there any way that trappers can mark the location they put the trap in or anyway to let other people know what area one is set in?

Some states have regulations that the traps are marked with the trappers name/address. You should check the regulations for your state and see what violations may have occurred and report it if there are violations. You said that the traps are located on posted property. If the traps were set without permission on posted property, that is a violation to start with.
Conibear traps are more humane than leg hold traps, in that they kill the animal almost instantaneously.

Most trappers keep track of their traps, since they are expensive and have a lot of time invested in them (boiling, oiling, descenting, etc.).

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
If animal traps are not covered by the 2nd Amendment you may have a case.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   
DBCowboy

Thank you! He just came back, looked up at me...and lifted his paw. I was in shock. The good news is that he was able to make it home and we were able to get him to the vet. I get to go get him tomorrow and the vet said he would be ok.

But, how do I find out of there is any more traps around? I just don't know how to make sure the area is clear. It is really worrisome to think there could be more. I am hoping someone can let me know how to find them and disarm them when I do.

Thanks for your kind words.

blend57

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Poor kitty.

The first thing I would do is carefully walk the property to find the trap/s. Our state has regulations about setting traps as Butcherguy suggested so finding one of the traps might lead you to the culprit via the tags that are required. Call your local game warden and report the incident. He/she will know the rules and might be able to help.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I do not recommend disarming these kinds of traps without knowing how or simply getting a walk-through. I would recommend searching your property with a metal detector and marking them for a game warden.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I am so sorry about your cat. Complete jerk, that should not be hunting, trapping, anything.

Are you in the US? If so, maybe call the DNR?

As far as finding anymore, do you have a metal detector? Otherwise, I don't know, except maybe walking around with a big stick in front of you, poking around?

I'm glad your cat was able to make it home.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

The good news is, if the guy who set the traps actually knows what he's doing, he'll have set the additional traps in similar areas around the property.

It's easier to narrow down where the traps were placed. That's a good place to start for searches.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
If animal traps are not covered by the 2nd Amendment you may have a case.

Well, the second amendment isn't about hunting so he shouldn't have a problem making a case of any kind against their use on his private property.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Could it have been left there from last season? Perhaps there were extenuating circumstances, like the individual set the traps and unexpectedly passed away before being able to retrieve them.

I'm extremely sorry to hear about your furry friend - wishing you both a speedy recovery. Keep your vet bills and any other documentation you can - it might come in handy with the town/court/whathaveyou (I'm not suggesting you take this to court, but you might have grounds to do just that)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
ok..guess I need to buy a metal detector then. I would want to find the trap before I called the game warden wouldn't I? At least to find one and be able to show them? I wouldn't want to call them out here without having some evidence I don't think.

Disarming I'm sort of researching right now..

doesn't look too difficult.

Do trappers normally leave any markings or signs to show where they leave their traps at? I am looking into that as well...I have a few pets that I am concerned for now. And I don't know if there would be any more or if this is just one that was forgotten. Just want to make sure..

Thanks everyone for your kind words and the information..
blend57

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

as horrible as that is, something worth noting, whoever placed those traps may have significantly lowered the amount of predators in your area, and yes it sucks your cat has had damage to a paw, but a coyote with its jaws wrapped around the cats back is far worse.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
This will not be a popular post, and I do not condone traps at all, but the fact is you are the one responsible for this happening. You put the cat at risk by letting it wander beyond your property. (If the trap was on your property,, that's a different issue, but I note that you are assuming it was a trap. You don't actually have the evidence.) The cat does not have a "right" to be anywhere but on property you control. What was your cat doing there? Was it on a casual stroll to smell the flowers? No, it was probably hunting. Cats are predators. They're killers. They "trap" birds, squirrels, and other small animals without any compassion at all. They are not humane about it either. They frequently torture their prey before killing them. I feed those animals. The neighbors' cats are not welcome here on my property. They have no right to be here. If I catch them, at least they go to the pound instead of the river.

At least you have the cat back. It could have been simply killed by an eagle, a coyote, a dog, or a car, maybe even a cougar in certain areas. In most cases you wouldn't even know what happened. Cats often just disappear. It's a dangerous world out there for any small animal. You put the cat into that dangerous world. You bear the brunt of responsibility here. You allowed this to happen.

I had to learn this lesson the hard way. One of my prized cats, a Siamese, was killed by a car. I'm the one who found him. I had to come to terms with the undeniable fact that I had put him at risk and I was responsible for his death. It was not the responsibility of the lady who hit him, even if she was driving too fast. She was distraught and I wound up consoling her, an odd twist. Now my cats are indoor cats. They are as safe as I can make them. You might want to consider this yourself.
edit on 5/2/2017 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Do trappers normally leave any markings or signs to show where they leave their traps at?

The traps are usually fastened by a chain or cable to a tree, substantial bush or a stake. Depending on what the person is trapping, the trap may or may not be visible when it is set.... but the chain or cable often will be visible. If the chain is rusty, it may be difficult to spot.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
F**K sorry to hear that hopefully he heals quickly poor guy
whoever put the trap out needs a kick in the stains.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Am I missing something here?

The cat just walked up missing part of the paw, right?

The vet just suggested that it might have been from a trap.

So all these people yelling to string up the hunter are really talking out of their asses.

You have no idea if a trap was laid that it wasn't on private property, that it wasn't lawful etc.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join