It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My cat got his paw ripped off by a trap!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
One of my cats, a young black one I call Panther, came in one late night and he was beat up something fierce. He was in terrible pain for more than a week. He tangled with something and he got his butt whooped.

I would rather he learn his lesson and walk away with a bruised body and a bruised cat ego, than lose him, which is a possibility if he wrassled with a coon down by the pond. The coon will take the cat down in the water with him, and that's the end of it.

So many things around this part of the country that can take a cat either down or away. They have been re-homing bald eagles up here, bears that are too friendly (thanks a LOT), and sometimes, mountain lions.

Still, I do allow my cats the freedom to be cats. We have rats the size of rabbits up here, along with billions of field mice and assorted other pests. We take the chance because, to me, a cat who has the freedom to be a cat may live a shorter live, but a fuller one. If you live in the country, and can let kitty out to be himself, it's the risk you take.

I never liked caged birds either.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: blend57

Yes,the trap will be tied to a tree, or pegged to the ground. A responsible trapper, will mark the trap with flagging tape, possibly even post a sign. But chances are if the trap was on your property, they are not responsible trappers. Also, trappers will lay their equipments in lines, a trappers line.
I found a row of 10 Martin traps on my property. Each trap was in eye shot of the next, all in a straight line.

Maybe put your cat on a leash and take him for a walk, see where he brings you. Take a broom stick along to disarm or to prod the ground in front of you

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: 123143

Of course you can. You Absolutely can have a reverence for animals and be a hunter.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden

Of course you can. You Absolutely can have a reverence for animals and be a hunter.

Thank you.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   

(OT: Cool avatar/background :X lol)

THANK YOU for the disclaimer, I totally thought to myself, What?! They posted a picture of their cat?!

--and then I was all phew haha.

Poor kitty. I hope it is doing better

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   
My recommendation is to take daily walks on your property with a large walking stick and a pistol. The walking stick should be used to disarm any traps found, and the pistol to remove any vagrants (unwanted peoples) from your property.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Are these traps still legal in the US?!? Not that the legality helps your cat in retrospect.

Many, many years ago, one of our cats Buster came home with his leg still gripped in a Gin Trap. Fortunately the trap probably hadn't been adequately tethered and it caught him high enough on his leg that he was able to keep the leg, and pretty much bounced back to full fettle (he was an extraordinary cat though, used every one of his nine lives, he was also shot with an air gun and another time poisoned, a car got him in the end, bless him). This was in the suburbs, someone had put it the trap in their garden, we knew who it was, and that Buster had had to drag the trap 100 metres to get home. The same guy most likely poisoned him and shot him, he was very proud of his garden and Buster used it as his toilet. That he hated Buster is understandable, that he hated him so much that he wanted to kill him is a little lazy and let's be honest, anti-social, living side by side requires compromise, and there are other solutions to deter unwanted visitors that don't include breaking this little girls heart. Either way, the local paper got interested, and Buster made front page news (not much else going on I suppose) and a lot of illegal traps were rounded up and confiscated...but none of that helps you if they're still legal out there.

I hope your cat makes a full recovery and that, unlike Buster, learns from the experience and finds somewhere safer to go roaming, lots of dangers out there for kitties.

edit on 3-5-2017 by Anaana because: correcting my error, changing "wild life" to "visitors" because puddy tats may like to feel wild but they are an invasive species, as are surburban gardeners

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Sorry I wasn't responding proper yesterday. I was really upset. Feel a bit better today and I go pick him up in a few hours.
I am not trying to "attack" trappers. As I said in my opening post, I realize that nothing I say will stop people from trapping and I was looking for some ways to identify the traps...all I really wanted was to make sure they were off my property and some help with how to go about doing that.

So I appreciate all of you offering some information on how to do so. And thank you for your empathy and kind words. One poster mentioned that it could've been a snapper turtle. I will ask the vet about that as well. Either way, I ordered the metal detector and will be making sure that there are not any traps out there. I think I need to do that.

Anaana

Traps are legal here..some animals are legal to trap all year round. From what I've read, the steel traps are the cheapest and what most people use to trap with. The article said they use them to get furs...but I honestly think it is more of a way to eat for some. I've never known a true hunter to let any part of the animal go to waste.

rukia
lol...nope, not my cat. I didn't stop to take pictures.
But I am taking some for a friend when I get him home, so I will post them here too. He may have the dreaded "cone" around his head though. The vet said she didn't want him licking or biting at his stitches.

Macenroe82

I got the metal detector on order and I talked with my brother..he said if I found any traps he would help me disarm them. Told me not to go out looking for them alone either...which I would've done. Probably make him come with me when the metal detector arrives. If not..I will mark them as I find them and call the game warden.

butcherguy
I'll look for the flags. That was what I was kind of hoping for. But I really don't think these are going to be marked. Just somehow think they won't be that obvious about illegal trapping and I don't think that an old one would still have any markings left on it..if it was there from several years ago. But, there is hope!

SallieSunshine

I personally don't like traps..especially the steel jaw ones. I would've been more careful if I would've thought about it more. As I said...my cat could've got caught in one that was laid down years ago. The laws were different than then they are now.

I really think you can be a hunter and an animal lover. At least from what I've witnessed personally. Matter of fact, most of the people in this thread giving their heart felt sympathy for my cat, yet knowing how to handle traps prove that. Honestly, I just don't see them as bad people. Maybe it is because of where I grew up at but I don't hold no ill will against them. What you've experienced may be different though...

jacygirl

Some cats just don't care to be indoor only cats. I would've been more careful if I would've thought about it though. Had I had any idea there could've been traps on my property, I probably would've kept him inside. He enjoys his time outside and has been that way ever since he was little. I do know that he doesn't go too far away, as when I call him he comes running pretty quickly back to me. So that tells me he is not straying too far. And he has not been declawed..I just couldn't do that to him.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words and support.
blend57

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Absolutely.

IMHO, a true hunter HAS to respect and revere animals.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I know both of you will be much happier when you get him home.
Sending warm wishes for a speedy recovery for him.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I have only read a couple of the post replies.I am sorry about your cat getting caught
in a trap.Is there anyway you can set up game cameras around your property? If you
can,you might be able to catch those responsible for setting traps on your property.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

BS. If you love the deer you're shooting then give it a rifle to shoot back. Make it an even game.

You can't. If you care about an animal you don't murder it.

"I love you, but I'm going to shoot, eviscerate, and eat you."

Love? Hardly.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

It has antlers and hooves, it doesn't need a gun and wouldn't be able to use one if you gave it one. Besides, who said you have to use a gun to be a hunter. In fact, isn't this whole thing about trappers anyways? Although it still hasn't been established that it was a trap that took part of his cats foot.

Cats are always getting into things, it could just have easily been climbing on something and knocked over a heavy piece of metal and fell with it, with the metal landing on its foot. An old wheel or something on a shelf could easily do it.

I go bow hunting myself and I absolutely have a reverence for all animals. I also don't hunt for sport, nor do I believe in hunting for sport. I hunt for sustenance and a reverence for our history and to keep the skills up that are necessary for survival when McDonald's isn't around the corner.

Being a hunter and a lover of animals is a hell of a lot more congruent than being a grocery store meat eater and an animal lover..lol

Jaden

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Got the little guy home. Vet says he will be able to go outside after he gets his stitches out in 10-14 days. I asked her about the snapping turtle..she said that quite honestly they can't say what it was. This wasn't the vet who did the surgery or initial examination though.

A few pics below...the paw isn't as short as it looks..just the way Patroclus is laying..but he seems to be content for now.

Still going to check out the property when my metal detector comes and see what I find..then go from there..

Thanks everyone again for the information as well as the sympathy and support.

blend57
edit on 3-5-2017 by blend57 because: Always an edit! : /

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

It has antlers and hooves, it doesn't need a gun and wouldn't be able to use one if you gave it one.

I am pretty sure that you are correct.
Just to be certain, I did a Google search.... 'Deer shoots hunter'.
I can find no evidence of a deer ever shooting a hunter.
They are pretty good with those hooves though. I had a leg cut open by one.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

It has antlers and hooves, it doesn't need a gun and wouldn't be able to use one if you gave it one. Besides, who said you have to use a gun to be a hunter. In fact, isn't this whole thing about trappers anyways? Although it still hasn't been established that it was a trap that took part of his cats foot.

Cats are always getting into things, it could just have easily been climbing on something and knocked over a heavy piece of metal and fell with it, with the metal landing on its foot. An old wheel or something on a shelf could easily do it.

I go bow hunting myself and I absolutely have a reverence for all animals. I also don't hunt for sport, nor do I believe in hunting for sport. I hunt for sustenance and a reverence for our history and to keep the skills up that are necessary for survival when McDonald's isn't around the corner.

Being a hunter and a lover of animals is a hell of a lot more congruent than being a grocery store meat eater and an animal lover..lol

Jaden

You clearly didn't get my point.

Regarding what happened to the OP's cat, anyone who would set such a trap doesn't give a damn about animals or treating them humanely. All the hunter cares about is the kill.

I suppose you think you're a big man when you take the life of something that can't fight back, especially in such a cowardly way as a trap that takes off an animal's paw.

In my view, and I'm sure I speak for other animal lovers, you are a small man if you cannot recognize that such things are inhumane and wouldn't be used by anyone who truly cares for animals.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Poor little guy!

Looks totally tuckered out.

Hopefully, he leave the paw alone to heal.
And leave the cone alone.

Good luck playing nurse for him

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   

It took me a few days to even open this thread the thought of it is just awful and I don't normally purposefully look at things I know will make me cringe..

I am so sorry for your little darling...

My brother in laws father traps coyote's.. and he won't lay a trap any where near a home or any time he isn't prepared to check at least four times a day . He would rage at this story.. the hunters lack of respect is sickening you just don't go laying them Willy nilly...

Blend I can't fathom how I would feel in your position, I live on 15 acres my layna bear is well trained always on my property and never on a leash.. if some idiot laid one up here and my dog hit it I would find them a permanent home under the mulch pile..

Sincerely,
~meathead

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
I'm not one of those anti hunting people.

But if you aren't going to do it responsibly, remove your traps, and respect others' property, then you shouldn't be allowed to hunt.

I'm in the same boat, though I do sort of question the need for trapping in this day and age. Makes me furious someone would be so careless.

Sorry for you and the cat OP.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 05:45 AM
link   

I'm glad your kitty is okay and going to survive. The more I've thought about this, Blend, I wonder about the trap.
Personally, I'm leaning toward another animal (the snapper sounded reasonable) or some other situation. Reasons? It seems as if it were a 'leg hold' trap, it would've gotten more of the leg? I think cats can get into some precarious situations. My father once inadvertently killed a cat that had nested under his car hood. The fan blade got it.
I hope you discover whatever injured the kitty so that it can be eliminated and one less worry when you let him (her?) outside. Perhaps (if there are traps) whatever they are being baited with can be sniffed out? The bait may be rotting?
I think there may be some rat traps with 'teeth' that could do something like that.
Good luck to you and the kitty!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join