It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My cat got his paw ripped off by a trap!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
This will not be a popular post, and I do not condone traps at all, but the fact is you are the one responsible for this happening. You put the cat at risk by letting it wander beyond your property. (If the trap was on your property,, that's a different issue, but I note that you are assuming it was a trap. You don't actually have the evidence.) The cat does not have a "right" to be anywhere but on property you control. What was your cat doing there? Was it on a casual stroll to smell the flowers? No, it was probably hunting. Cats are predators. They're killers. They "trap" birds, squirrels, and other small animals without any compassion at all. They are not humane about it either. They frequently torture their prey before killing them. I feed those animals. The neighbors' cats are not welcome here on my property. They have no right to be here. If I catch them, at least they go to the pound instead of the river.

At least you have the cat back. It could have been simply killed by an eagle, a coyote, a dog, or a car, maybe even a cougar in certain areas. In most cases you wouldn't even know what happened. Cats often just disappear. It's a dangerous world out there for any small animal. You put the cat into that dangerous world. You bear the brunt of responsibility here. You allowed this to happen.

I had to learn this lesson the hard way. One of my prized cats, a Siamese, was killed by a car. I'm the one who found him. I had to come to terms with the undeniable fact that I had put him at risk and I was responsible for his death. It was not the responsibility of the lady who hit him, even if she was driving too fast. She was distraught and I wound up consoling her, an odd twist. Now my cats are indoor cats. They are as safe as I can make them. You might want to consider this yourself.

Thanks.
I didn't feel like getting flamed, or I would have touched on these things.
But since you posted it, I will support you.

To add:
I have heard of pet owners being sued by drivers that crashed their cars trying to avoid hitting the pets when it ended up on a street.
edit on b000000312017-05-02T14:52:12-05:0002America/ChicagoTue, 02 May 2017 14:52:12 -0500200000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Ill back up your unpopular post.

I feel terrible your cat is in pain and has caused you distress. That being said, you claim this area as "private property". Do you own this property? If not, the person who set the trap may be the owner, or have permission from said owner to trap on the property.

If you do own the property, how do you know the incident occured on your property? Unless we are talking serious acreage, a cat can easily travel to the edge of your property and back within 30 or so minutes.

I know quite a few trappers and they are good, humane people that always practice due diligence with their traps. I'm sure there a few rotten eggs out there (as with anything) but i feel this is turning into a witch hunt for trappers. Most are good people trying to make extra income/ living.

I send my best to you and your cat. I know it's easy to point fingers when these things happen, but remember, this truly is just an unfortunate accident.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
schuyler

Nope..I get it..and I understand that I have a partial blame. Cuz I let the cat out to be a cat on a large open country piece of property that is surrounded by posted land for miles as well. Still need to find the traps though. I'm pretty sure they are on my property. What I can't be sure of is if they were put there this year, last year, or maybe a few years back. Also, even though I am emotional about it..it is a bit unfair to blame anyone at this point until I find out what is what. So, I get what you are saying and accept blame for my part in it. Unpopular or not..it isn't a bad thing for you to say or for me to consider..

Thank for the thoughts,
blend57

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Best wishes for your cat's speedy recover. This is another reason why I never have let my cats outside. One got out accidentally one time and was torn up by a raccoon.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I'm a cat lover, but if you let it outside you have no idea what it gets up to

Cats love pissing and sh1tting in neighbours gardens and on their cars and other things so I struggle for sympathy when things like this happen, if you want your cat safe, then don't let it outside

This guy finally had enough of his neighbours cats

Not to mention when it's not sh1tting and pissing it's probably ripping the heads off mice or baby birds but those are things we don't considered our cute ball of fluff are out doing (it's a hunter killer, just like a Lion or any other member of the cat family)
edit on 2/5/17 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I am a cat person (obviously) and I do let my cats out to hunt because this is a national forest. One of my favorites has been missing for a week and I am heartbroken. Yes it is my fault and I knew this was a possibility, but some cats have a high prey drive and are miserable unless they can do what nature bids them to do. The majority of my cats stay on the property and then want back in for commerical food and a long nap on a sunny spot on the floor. If I lived in a town, they would never go outside because people are the worst predators of all.

I am against traps. I have lived in rural areas of California, Texas (east and west), and now north Georgia, where coyotes and other varmints run freely and are a danger. The only coyote I ever killed was one who acted a bit rabid and had no fear. This was done with a .17 cal rifle, which I call the 'critter popper', only used when creatures will not leave and present a danger. Generally I assume that they have been roaming the area longer than people and it is their right to do so.

I do not interfere with wildlife unless they are aggressive, and laying traps is just rotten.

A cat can skitter up a tree faster than a coyote can get to them, as a rule.

I'm so sorry for your kitty, because now.....he can never be let out again. He has no defense and can no longer climb safely. But you do have him back and he will adjust. Poor baby boy. Head scratches and kitty treats wished for him by General Tab E. Katt.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I really feel for you and the kitty. I know how sad this has probably made you. At least the good news is he was able to escape and get home in time to have his paw partially saved at least. Could have been much worse.

As far as suggestions, do you personally know any hunters? Maybe you could pay someone that knows about trapping to search your property for you. Their reward bonus they can keep the traps. If they are on your property then technically they belong to you now. Would be worth the few bucks to pay someone that knows what to look for and also get your peace of mind as well.

That's my suggestion anyway. If you don't know anyone, ask around at a local bar. I'm sure someone will know someone etc.etc. exit to add. If you don't drink try the bowling alley if you have one, or maybe a sporting type shop that sells guns or hunting gear. Someone will know somebody I'm pretty sure
edit on 5/2/17 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: blend57

Oh Blend, I'm so very sorry!

I've been avoiding reading this because my cat is on my lap and the thread title alone made me want to cry.

Ever since my one cat got hit by a car years ago (but made it home and lived)...my cats have been indoor only. I'm so very sorry that this happened, but thankfully your kitty found it's way back to you.

I know hunters but none of them use traps. I think traps are horrible and cruel...don't have a good word to say about them. It could have been worse, but it's still awful.

*hugs* to you and your fur baby from me and mine.
jacy

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: blend57
schuyler

Thank for the thoughts, blend57

Thanks for your reaction. I really thought you would be pissed.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Hunters are a different breed. If you're looking for compassion from them, forget it. They have none.

If they did, they wouldn't be hunters. They'd be animal lovers.

You can't be a hunter and an animal lover.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   
First, I have to say how horrified I was to read this and how very sad I am for you and your poor kitty. I am another cat owner who has had cats most of my life and they have all been indoor cats. I had heard way too many horror stories about people losing their poor cats to one thing or another. I even held a stranger's cat as it died years ago. It was very late at night and it was hit by a car and just laying there. At least it didn't die alone. Other cats ripped apart by other animals...

I have also seen the aftermath of neighbor's cats and their hunting adventures, 3 tiny orphaned mice and a dead mother, a gorgeous cardinal with just feathers and bones hanging around etc.

My cats have all lived very long and happy lives being inside.

Hugs to you and gentle hugs for kitty!
edit on 2-5-2017 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I have sympathy for you and the cat.
But life for outside animals is a "jungle out there."
You aided and abetted the wound to your cat no matter how it happened.
If you can't accept the possible consequences don't have an outside cat.
If consequences happen outside of your ideals for the cat, take the blame.

The cat that adopted me lives outside. She likes the wild side of life. I don't know what she understands about her situation, but I do perfectly.
edit on 2-5-2017 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Sorry about your cat.

But it's irresponsible to let your animals outside out of your control.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Sorry for your cat. I don't care for traps and don't allow them on my property. In my state trappers are required to mark traps with their name and address. Hope that helps if you can find one.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Traps are so cruel- they should be illegal.

Sal

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: SallieSunshine
Traps are so cruel- they should be illegal.

Sal

I know! I suppose if someone's child got a foot caught in one, they might think twice before ever using one again. Or... perhaps their own foot caught in someone else's trap.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I am so sorry for your furkid's paw...how horrible for him and you!
Good thing you could get him medical treatment quickly.
Poor little sweetie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope he's soon back to his old self, or as much as possible.
Keep us posted on his progress.

No comment on the evil trappers....and their lack of concern/respect.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
You said v-shaped wound, I'm going with turtle, possibly a snapper.

Most small game traps don't have teeth(at least the ones i've come across), the force of impact is to break the bone and hold the animal, so the cat would have lost the whole leg if it got free. Could be wrong, but the way you are describing it doesn't make sense.
edit on 2-5-2017 by GodEmperor because: grammar

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I had a cat that tangled with a coon.
Lost half of a paw, an eye, an ear, and a tail.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

That makes sense. Some of those snappers are huge and could bite a foot off of a cat. Usually animals in traps will chew their own leg or foot to get themselves out of a trap. I don't know for sure of course.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join