It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Bans 'Extreme' Islamic Baby Names Including Jihad, Islam, and Mohammed

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Free speech doesn't exist, and the topic is the last example.
That kind of snip happens regularly in a communist regime.
It's all about suppression for the common 'good'.
In other words authoritarianism.

^^^^^ Or the *politically correct* in your face current agenda!!

e.g.

"Red Indian" and "Eskimo" come to mind immediately. I don't think either are nearly as acceptable today as they were in my day (1960s and '70s). "Oriental" is definitely out (especially in North America), and "Far Eastern" and "Far Easterners" are barely acceptable but for oldies like me. "Mohammedans" definitely don't generate warm words on the listener.

In my day, "cripple" (as in "the crippled") was acceptable enough even among the handicapped and the disabled -- but say that today, we could end up being crippled and maimed.

"Gollywog" (golliwog) today would make most people throw a fit. Enid Blyton's best-loved children's books from the 1930s and '40s featured the golliwog often as a villain and sometimes as heroes. The famous sweets Robertson's Golliwog had long been part of the British cultural psyche (without racist undertones) -- then the Greater London Council boycotted the product in the early 1980s.

(Interestingly, the American rock band Creedence Clearwater Revival was originally called The Golliwogs when it started out in 1959.)

posted on May, 1 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deny ArroganceWhere was your outrage when Saudi Arabia did it as well? .

Truth and a level playing field will not be tolerated on ATS.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join