It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

schools must allow for minority students to speak in ebonics

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

You accept dumbing down children?

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

So lefties is now a euphemism for blacks/minorities? Got it.

Do I support this, no. But grammar is whatever we say it is. And by we, I mean people. Not black or white, just people. Like that word 'literally.' It means whatever we say it means because we create words. They aren't bestowed upon us by some higher power.

But the Right needs to stop hiding behind this left vs right thing and just admit that some of you just don't like black and brown people taking over 'your' country.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

You accept dumbing down children?

They got dumb down long before ebonics.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   

So you support dumbing down children further with ebonics?

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

I speak differently when I am with my family too, but I do not speak that way around my professional peers. And my teachers did not speak that way nor did they tolerate me speaking that way around them.

Ebonics in the home? Fine. Ebonics tolerated in the classroom? No. Where do you think they will learn professional discourse otherwise if they don't start learning and practicing it in school?

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Did you read my comment and if so where did you get that I was promoting teaching ebonics in the classroom?

Important to note the final statement which reads that teachers should not tolerate less than standard written English but rather approach the difference in dialect with a slightly different attitude.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
a reply to: ketsuko

Did you read my comment and if so where did you get that I was promoting teaching ebonics in the classroom?

Important to note the final statement which reads that teachers should not tolerate less than standard written English but rather approach the difference in dialect with a slightly different attitude.

Yes, I did, but there is a big difference between written and spoken English. I write differently than I speak still.

Just demanding they write professionally won't get them in the habit of speaking professionally. In order to become fluent in both dialects and able to assess where you need each one and to switch back and forth on a dime as the case demands, you have to get to where you are thinking and speaking without conscious effort in both. They already do that in Ebonics. It's their native dialect spoken at home. In order to get professional English to the same level, they need to do more than just write it. They have to also speak it and often.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: coop039

To hard for them to learn? Is he saying minorities arent as smart?

Perhaps they are saying that. It would be the easiest interpretation. I would offer up an alternative view, however.

One of the major (linguistic) differences between the American kid learning French in class, and the French kid living in France, is exposure. To learn to speak a language fluently, you need to hear it around you. You need to be speaking it and getting constant feedback from others - even if that it just a blank stare as you mangle the pronunciation, or the occasional giggle when you are trying to ask the waitress for a cup of coffee but accidentally offer to buy the cafe owner's horse a purple dildo.

If you are living in a community where everyone around you is speaking a different language to the one that people want you to learn, it shouldn't be surprising if you lack the exposure and practice to learn it as successfully as someone living in a community where it is spoken. That doesn't make you "less smart", it just makes you "less exposed". Both represent a realistic problem when learning to speak a language.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Wow interviewing 3 whole people is now considered research. People actually pay money to go to that institution? Better money has been spent at ITT and University of TV commercials.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
If Ebonics is accepted as a language to teach it too will then degrade down to bonics?
As well as add more curriculum to an already distracted sadly generation.
It doesn't seem logical, should be teaching them better communication not worst...

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I think the bigger problem is our texting society. When Children only communicate by text and shortcuts, abbreviations and emoji s we have a problem. If I was grading or hiring, those that could communicate the best would get the best grades and priority for interviews and being hired.

And an entrepreneur, I get more customers and sales when I communicate better. We shouldn't dumb down our children.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
so they are saying minorities arent smart enough to learn english? lol

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jiggly
so they are saying minorities arent smart enough to learn english? lol

Minorities are not the only people speaking Ebonics...

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   
So how will they get a job after graduation? I'm sure that even the most liberal company wouldn't hire them if they cannot correctly communicate.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Bagbane2017

Always the liberals. LOL. We think this is stupid too. Only the far left and SJWs would approve of this.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bagbane2017
So how will they get a job after graduation? I'm sure that even the most liberal company wouldn't hire them if they cannot correctly communicate.

It's still better than any tattoo on or above the neck. Ebonics merely represents bad luck and can be fixed. A visible tattoo represents bad judgement that will follow you until the day you die.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   
An important aspect of an education at this level is how to communicate, both verbally and in writing.

Dropping this from any student's curriculum will put them at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to getting a decent job, making friends in the workplace or even applying for a serious university course.

Why would you want your child to miss out on this? It's madness.

My kids talk to each other and their friends in one way and their teachers (and to a lesser degree) Me and their mum in another. They all understand what is appropriate and switch seamlessly between these modes, why is it so hard for other people? Are they all morons or something? Or is this proposal a roundabout way of keeping what is essentially an underclass, in their place?

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

LOL!! Yeah, my dad used to tell us how many people walked into the office of the factory he ran and said "are ya hirin' taday?"
DROVE HIM NUTS.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13
If Ebonics is accepted as a language to teach it too will then degrade down to bonics?
As well as add more curriculum to an already distracted sadly generation.
It doesn't seem logical, should be teaching them better communication not worst...

Bonics?

That would just be ooking and eeeking

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I honestly think ebonics is just ludicrous .

And this thread did shine some light on a question I had on that tv show The 100.

After a nuclear war by an AI all the left overs created their own language.

I guess for no other reason because they could.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join