It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

schools must allow for minority students to speak in ebonics

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

What makes it Ebonics versus modern Cockney? Do you have issues with students who speak Cockney?

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
when these kids find the real world, they will be amazed that ghetto slang is not the acceptable means of communication. It's taking an otherwise bright person and placing them in the idiot bin before you even find out if they are an idiot. It's a shame speaking correctly is so outdated.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

What makes it Ebonics versus modern Cockney? Do you have issues with students who speak Cockney?

Its all gibber jabber to me.

In my classroom you use correct English.

Dont care if its ebonics, Northern slang, pikey talk or cockney, I wont accept it in a science class room.
edit on 25-4-2017 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   

a reply to: Martin75

This isn't exactly accurate. Most kids that speak Ebonics can also speak and write proper English however when they don't they tend to get shamed in some kind of way where as if it were any other accepted vernacular like Southern or Cajun, even Redneck (whatever the local dialect is) the teacher would just nod and go on. There's an unnecessary bias against Ebonics.

So why not speak in the proper way if you are able? I can speak redneck with the rest of them but I use proper English when I am at work because it is the proper way to carry myself.
I would hate to think as a professional I would actually call someone up and ask "Gew et yet?" But I will ask my best friend. At work I use the correct grammar as I am presenting myself as a professional.

If they choose to use Ebonics and look like fools that no one wants to hire or go anywhere near, that's on them. Especially since you say they can speak and write perfect English just don't want to.
edit on 4/25/2017 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Do you find any of your students unable to use proper English and if they do, do you shame them for slipping?

edit on 4/25/2017 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

Not speaking proper English is an assumption. Do you hear black people using Ebonics in professional settings?

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Do you find any of your students unable to use proper English and if they do, do you shame them for slipping?

I dont publicaly shame them. But I will make a note in there books or take them privately to one side and explain why its not aceptable within that setting.

As for cant? I dont except that. I have students that have started school with zero english and become fluent within a few months.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi
it wasn't a professor it was an undergrad researcher. to be a professor do you not need a doctorate? and why are we listening to some guy from u of wi. madison? do people speak in different ways yes several different dialects are spoken within 200 miles of my location. but proper english is considered a trade language and if you want to get ahead you damn well better learn it because if you don'r you will be stuck at low paying jobs flipping burgeers mosst likely.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   

The racist part is stereotyping minorities as helpless and that people should pander to them. Who ever do this is a White Liberal Racist.
edit on 4/25/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Speaking CORRECT English within a science class room is hardly a high expectation to begin with!

Of all the forums that I am involved with, do you know who have the strictest requirements for English grammar?

Chemistry forums.

Apparently, when trying to describe or replicate an experiment without accidentally killing or maiming yourself or someone else, being absolutely clear about what is happening is quite important. Who would have thought it, eh?

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I do two days a week in London. No one has ever spoken to me in Cockney in the workplace. England is covered in dialects, but we all speak English.

Just to keep this contextual, I have translated tha above understandable text into complete gibberish...

Cockney - Lor' luv a duck! I do two days a week in London. No one 'as ever spoken ter me in David Hockney in da workplace. England is covered in dialects, but we all speak English. Know what I mean?

Ebonics - Yo ah do two days uh week in London. nahh one has ever spoken ta me in Cockney in da workplace. England iz covered in dialects, but we's all speak cracker ass english Don' make me come ova there bitch...

Well, that clears that one up.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   
They used to force deaf children to speak English and punished those who used sign language. Same kind of attitude. Thank goodness my parents ignored doctors' advice that they send me to Oral school.
Though I do understand your point about Ebonics. That would dumb down children even further but I thought I'd give you a different perspective and attitude.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

To hard for them to learn? Is he saying minorities arent as smart?

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

originally posted by: crazyewok
Speaking CORRECT English within a science class room is hardly a high expectation to begin with!

Of all the forums that I am involved with, do you know who have the strictest requirements for English grammar?

Chemistry forums.

Apparently, when trying to describe or replicate an experiment without accidentally killing or maiming yourself or someone else, being absolutely clear about what is happening is quite important. Who would have thought it, eh?

Exactly.

Clear scientific writing is a skill and one even experienced scientists struggle with. So you have to start introducing it to the children early, which means no room for ebonics.
edit on 25-4-2017 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Ebonics is where/when I started saying, "Politically Correct is neither 'political' or 'correct'" which would elicit a nervous giggle not sure if I was trying to be funny or serious.

I will stand by your side. We will fight together. I will sing praise of your heroics if you fall as shall you if I do not survive!

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more! Or close up the wall with our English speaking dead!

-Act 3, Scene 1, The Life of King Henry V (with one slight TEOT mod)

edit on 25-4-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: stoopid autocorrect

edit on 25-4-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: even my grammar sucks sometimes

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Growing up in the mountains of NC, the regional dialect would give Ebonics a run for its money. My husband from California could barely understand my father. Then I started noticing my husband using some Appalachian words and phrases.

The kids at my school would use words particular to the region. I don't see this as very different than Ebonics. Kids would learn grammar at school but would continue to use regional dialects at home and among friends.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
The liberals are out today and doing what they do best, basically being so understanding that it is to the detriment of the people they claim to protect.

Why stop at ebonics? Why teach any language to children, if toddler babbling means being free of oppressive learning [it's people's right to never learn how to speak/s]?
Why not let kids or families make up their own language and accept these at school? Where is the difference to ebonics?
Why worry about a unifying language if you could have a book printed in 99 variants [it won't cost that much more/s].
Shop signs 20 foot high, because you have to fit all the languages on there as otherwise you'll be racist to leave one out...and so on.

Surely anyone who would like to live in a civilised society should agree that communication between all of those living within it is highly important. It means we can all understand each other, which makes life so much easier for everyone and brings us TOGETHER [see that lefties?].
When calling our takeaway there are two girls that answer. One who is fluent and very clear in english and the other one is kind of hit and miss with understanding what I order and it's always a surprise to see what's missing.
The second one gives me stress, the first one makes me happy to use their restaurant.

That right there shows that you could lose customers if you can't speak properly because I chose the one that gives me the easiest experience with the best outcome.

And those inane examples of comparing regional accents to ebonics is highly insulting. Because if you ask people with accents to write, it will still come out as normal English. They just pronounce words differently.
If you ask someone who can only speak ebonics to write something, the outcome is quite different. Most write how they hear things. Which will stop them from taking part in the greater society as nobody but their buddies will have a rough idea what they are on about. You certainly can't write a scientific paper in ebonic because it needs to be understood all around the world by other foreigners that can speak proper english.

So why are the left so adamant to stop people to be something better? Why do they pander to the lowest common denominator and drag everyone down, instead of insisting to raise the bar for the others?

Yes, it's because they are racist. They really think black people are unable to. Black kids are just pulled through school, they get leniency with their test results, they often pass just by default, because we can't have black people failing can we?

If lefties really wanted to help and if they weren't so racist, they would demand blacks to pull themselves together and work for it just like everyone else. No more 'special' help, because they are not 'special'. They are humans we have taught that just because of their skin colour they get special treatments throughout their lives and when the special treatments stop, all they are left with is their ebonics and the made up marks at school that have no substance.

Teach them, expect the same and if they don't deliver find out why and accept it. Then we can really help. These are life lessons that make for a better society.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

And if the "rightists" would stop trying to force Creationism and Bible in public schools, right?

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Ig-pay atin-lay ould-shay e-bay allowed-ay oo-tay!

orfay effsway akesay!

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   

edit on 25-4-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join