It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

schools must allow for minority students to speak in ebonics

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I pity the schools that hired the fools.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Yeah but what about speaking in jive?

edit on 25-4-2017 by defiythelie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Actually, this isn't surprising from a historical perspective.

Most languages devolve (linguistic entropy).
An example would be Latin Vulgate. That's where we get the words Vulgar or Vulgarity. What it really refers to is "Commoners".

So why do they call it "Cursive" writing? Because it's Vulgar of course. When you try to read that sloppy illegible cursive writing it'll leave YOU Cursing and being Vulgar too!

Like really, the Vulgate was Cursive.

This happens in just about any language you'll run across.
Stuff just gets more and more illegible.
edit on 4/25/2017 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
No... no...no...schools are supposed to prepare kids for life after school, to give them every advantage possible before they hit the real world.

We need to stop coddling them... we need to stop giving in and go back to being adults preparing the little heathens to interact in the real world.

If I am hiring people and I cannot understand what they are saying... their resume goes in the G file... even though they may have been the smartest, most talented person available for that position... if you cannot communicate in an effective manner you are useless.

Another feel good stupid idea, that will do nothing to help a child get ready for reality.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
This is a funny topic. At my one job where I had a bunch of black coworkers, I'd routinely hear things like "Yo what time it is?" and "Where Richard went?". I'm not kidding, those are literal examples. It might just be some cultural thing in many cases, but I fail to see how it's "cool" to talk like you're mentally retarded - especially in a workplace.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Are the left saying blacks are not capable of speaking correctly?

I think this is what they are saying, not surprised to be honest.

I agree with you anyway.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Yo you gots uh problem wif da way ah jive? peep this # Yo mo' racist sheeit from whitey amarica sho 'nuff! Yo dont make me smoke you brace yo'self foo'!

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Quit being such an Uncle Tom Coon!

Success = selling out to the Devils!

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Communication breaks down when one person can not understand what the other person is saying.

Why would English teachers not teach english?

They want them to fail.

Racist liberals.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: icanteven

Exactly. Ever notice how all dialects are 'cultural' or 'regional' but Ebonics is just people being too unintelligent to speak proper English? People need to get it through their thick heads that this only about destigmatizing.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
This is a funny topic. At my one job where I had a bunch of black coworkers, I'd routinely hear things like "Yo what time it is?" and "Where Richard went?". I'm not kidding, those are literal examples. It might just be some cultural thing in many cases, but I fail to see how it's "cool" to talk like you're mentally retarded - especially in a workplace.

This.

A few weeks ago a grown woman came into the store I worked at, picked up something off the counter and said "What it be. How mu (not much) dis is." I assumed that both of the sentences were questions...but I chose not to respond...

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   
One of the purposes of school is to help children develop the skills they will need later in life

I can't imagine businesses wanting people who cannot speak read or write the language of the land.

To encourage children to not learn language is in my opinion oppressive.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wildbob77
One of the purposes of school is to help children develop the skills they will need later in life

I can't imagine businesses wanting people who cannot speak read or write the language of the land.

To encourage children to not learn language is in my opinion oppressive.

Happens all the time when businesses hire spanish speaking only.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I believe many of those that profess to be helping are doing more harm than good.
And they know it.
They are trying to divide.
They are the real racists.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

That's exactly how it appears. It's one thing to use slang with friends but when on the clock and representing your employer with clients or with customers, you better have good English, both written and verbal.

The pathetic thing here is increasingly around the globe many are learning English as a second language as its become the international language of business. My wife learned perfect English and now resides and works in the US. If my wife and many of her friends have learned English at a very high level as their second and third languages, why can't people here learn it perfectly as their first?

But yes, my wife's third language is better than many here speaking their native language.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: icanteven

Exactly. Ever notice how all dialects are 'cultural' or 'regional' but Ebonics is just people being too unintelligent to speak proper English? People need to get it through their thick heads that this only about destigmatizing.

No. Only if you let the point go right over your head.

Most of us are saying that we get the aspect of the different dialect because we have them too, but we aren't allowed to speak ours at school because everyone needs to be more culturally understanding to us or more sensitive.

It's that last bit - the idea that we ought to let blacks speak and write Ebonics at school in order to be culturally sensitive when no one else gets that same consideration that makes it sound like the people who are doing this (telling us that blacks ought to be allowed to speak Ebonics in school) don't think that blacks ought to be treated like we are (expected to keep our home dialects at home in favor of learning to speak and write professional English). It sort of makes those people sound like they think such a thing would be too hard for blacks to do, which is a load of crap, but that doesn't change the perception.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Read through some of the comments, and agree to a large extent that speaking non standardized English will get you anywhere, Malcolm X and the Nation of Islam members had great diction, and Obama sounds nothing like the unintelligible Trump, But this is not really a thing coming from most AA parents or students, personally I think some regional speech patterns are annoying as fk, and yes I am talking about white people.I used to jump to conclusions about intellect or racist tendencies based off how they spoke , something I have learn to be mindful of to date, but according to the article

I want to center the voices of the people who need to be centered,” said Gallagher. “As a Writing Fellow, as a white-passing person, I have a lot of power and privilege that should be shared.”

What the hell she meant by the above, she believe she is doing Black kids a favor?? that's down right condescending and a fine example of Liberal racism.

Southern drawl , Cockney or Brooklynite while worthy of study in of themselves, should not be used as languages of instruction.
edit on 25-4-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I've only read like...two comments; thus, it's quite likely that this has already been said. The whole premise of this supposed research paper is more racist than anything it accuses the nation as a whole of, am I the only one who sees this? That may very well be the case since by profession I am a linguist, philologist, and polyglottal translator (it is also my hobby) so I always have language on the mind. It may also be as obvious to everyone else as it is to me.

Ebonics is a term with multiple meanings but there is only one of these meanings that makes any sense and that is the one with the derogatory sense.

Ebonics is a term used for the AAV or African American Vernacular, a term almost as loaded as Ebonics, which can also be known as BCE, BEV, and literally fifteen other terms, the aforementioned being Black Colloquial English and Black English Vernacular. The problem with any of these is that their nuances, being 99% verbal, would be incompatible with the author's discussion with their use at school unless someone can tell me how we are to go about policing in our school to ensure the pronunciation of arrest is ə'rεst and not ə'rεəst and then how to make sure to enforce it only with black students and not confuse it with the identical southerner pronunciation. There are many different nuances between the two but as I said its almost 100% in how it sounds and teachers don't have anything to do with how students say words or a certain diphthong.

So we are left with the meaning that can also be called "stupid English" and I can say from so many different areas of experience is not a black thing anymore than it is a white thing, an internet generation thing, a texting youth thing, an uninvolved parents thing, etc. And even then it feels more like another leftist attempt to convince easily angered people there is a problem when there is none or else id challenge anyone to produce me five students in the nation who aren't fully aware that its not "Him done be tripping yo," but "he is mistaken,' and who would actually use the former in a written assignment and who would be offended if corrected by the latter and furthermore this is how kids talk, period. Nit just black kids and its suggesting so that is racist. But even more racist is trying to convince the world this student whom I described exists in serious number and is black and that teachers are at present out there working against it. I couldn't even believe in the op or maybe first comment someone said he regularly received CVs in Ebonics and im just gonna have to ask how those were written because I must be missing something.
edit on 4/25/2017 by AlexandrosTheGreat because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/25/2017 by AlexandrosTheGreat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Every African American I've known does a great white person impression. So from my experience they are capable of speaking without ebonics.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Paint by the numbers racism provided by the real racists.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join