It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did I time travel today?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Incredibly deep to contemplate. In a sense, part of me may have. I dont like to go there so
I don't feel this is the time or place. Maybe later sometime.

I had to do alot of soul searching on if I wanted to continue in my volunteer work (rural FD)

I don't really subscribe to the newer physics out there, multi-verse and such. I don't have an alternative at hand but other than that part of me that changed (died, if you will) that night, Im still alive and kicking. Loving my wife, carving out a life for our family. To me, thats real.

You wouldnt believe how many re-edits I've done to this post. If you're reading this, I got something wrote down.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

we will transcend the biological order when we can successfully transfer our consciousness from body to body

much like Ghost in the shell , when humans can transfer consciousness from shell to shell
we have affectively beaten nature

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I time travel.... 1 second and 2 beers at a time

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

time is linear

...Or is it spherical?

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Outlier13
Your question is based on the assumption that all events are already mapped out in time, and that by somehow adjust your speed of travel on the surface of the earth, you thwarted fate's attempt at maintaining the mapped out events.

No, you did not, because I do not subscribe to the theory that all of life's events are preordained and mapped out for all of us.

What you did was speed up so that you would not have to waste a few minutes at a stop light. Yes, it has the theoretical potential to put things on a different path in life than if you had to sit at the light, but that doesn't mean that you changed the future, it just means that you made a conscious decision that allowed one thing to happen instead of another; in essence, you affected the present moment of everything because of that decision after the choice was made, but there is no future events because the future hasn't happened yet.

This is not time travel, this is known as cause-and-effect.

edit on 19-4-2017 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
Your question is based on the assumption that all events are already mapped out in time, and that by somehow adjust your speed of travel on the surface of the earth, you thwarted fate's attempt at maintaining the mapped out events.

No, you did not, because I do not subscribe to the theory that all of life's events are preordained and mapped out for all of us.

What you did was speed up so that you would not have to waste a few minutes at a stop light. Yes, it has the theoretical potential to put things on a different path in life than if you had to sit at the light, but that doesn't mean that you changed the future, it just means that you made a conscious decision that allowed one thing to happen instead of another; in essence, you affected the present moment of everything because of that decision after the choice was made, but there is no future events because the future hasn't happened yet.

This is not time travel, this is known as cause-and-effect.

That's a great point and one where I should clarify my thought process. Let's just visualize 10 different people right now and we are all sharing the exact point in time because well...we are. All 10 of these people all have exactly unique events occurring that are specific to this very point in time we are all participating in. A man in China at this point in time is eating a bowl of rice. A man in Spain at this point in time is singing his national anthem. A man in New York at this point in time is reviewing stock market trades and so on and so on. We all are experiencing this exact point in time but all with very different events.

So if I were able to immediately travel to any of these places I would have covered a large range of physical distance and would in effect be changing my place in the timeline of events at a specific point in time. This by our common definition is time travel which is why I continue to say that our common definition of time travel is somehow off.

Because time travel is only a theory it cannot be proved but can only be disproved. I think that is what my larger stream of consciousness is leading me towards. That time travel cannot exist based upon our current common definition of time travel. We either have to redefine what time travel actually is and if it is even possible.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Easy answer to your question. NO you drove a little faster than you thought is all. And beating a light by speeding up is not time travel either. Jesus Christ, I can't believe what some people think

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
But what you just said there is different from what you said in your OP: In this reply, you talk about instantaneous travel (which is faster than the speed of light), whereas in your OP, you discuss a mind change that just stops you from doing one event (waiting at a stoplight) in lieu of another (traveling through the stoplight and getting to your destination more quickly).

These are very different scenarios.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc
Easy answer to your question. NO you drove a little faster than you thought is all. And beating a light by speeding up is not time travel either. Jesus Christ, I can't believe what some people think

You're not paying attention. I've said repeatedly our commonly accepted definition of time travel is incorrect. Get it? TIME TRAVEL

Here is the definition of travel: to make a journey, typically of some length.

Here is the definition of time travel: the action of traveling through time into the past or the future.

This means motion. Therefore by adjusting your rate of motion you affect where you end up at a point in time. Beating a light by speeding up and altering the set of events by doing so is the very definition of time TRAVEL you sanctimonious jack ass.
edit on 25-3-2018 by Outlier13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Idreamofme

Yes it is, i have spent what would amount to days in a very deep sleep and yet i woke up and i had slept only about 7 hours or so. So yes, in a way, i "time traveled" because i spent days in a completely separate life and i saw the sun go down and up again and i was so sure of how many days had gone by until i woke up.

In short, dreaming and how much you travel on a road are completely different things.

We could go into other things but oh well, i think most people have already replied with good explanations of why a road trip goes the way it goes

What's perception's work in all this? Isn't it all just that? Perception of what you 'see' or 'feel'?

edit on 26-3-2018 by WarriorMH because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join