It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Sociopaths Make Better Republicans?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Many Republicans are ex-military. And I've been reading up on how military conditioning allows soldiers to operate in combat without empathy. I found this interesting article on how empathy is suppressed by military training:

"Do Sociopaths Make Better Soldiers?"

www.vice.com...

"I remember seeing the fear in people's eyes, and knowing that I could operate with a clearer head because it was absent in me," he writes in an email. "People that we recognized as having 'the fear' (this was our name for the look that people get in their eyes before a patrol) were weak, and I'm glad I do not suffer from their problems. Why would I invite something into my character that could get me killed?"

"If you can harness a psychopath's self-interest and make it dependent on the success of the team that they're in, then they become better team players than the others," Dutton explains. "There are certain premiums on heroism and risk-taking; so if they can do those things and not put people's lives in danger, then it gives their team an edge over an opposing team. It takes close and careful management, but you can get psychopaths to function well in a team."''

"I've never had a problem killing... I don't keep a tally, but I don't lie in bed and worry about it,"

If a large portion of our population serves in the military and is trained in not having empathy, I imagine they will be less conducive in supporting government policies designed to help people who are less fortunate have a more successful life. I would imagine, people with military training would simply laugh at the idea of helping other people. How would you ever agree people need help if you cannot imagine what it is like to live in someone else's shoes?

edit on 6-4-2017 by dfnj2015 because: typos

edit on Thu Apr 6 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: EX TAGS IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

edit on 6-4-2017 by dfnj2015 because: Sorry, next time I will use ex tags.

This is NOT the Mud Pit!!!

Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

edit on Fri Apr 7 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

So, I assume by your statement that you were never in the military.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Many republicans weren't in the military. And many in the military are non combative roles.

Your playing with fallacies and cherry picking facts.

Democrats probably have as many sociopaths as most demographs share similar densities of psychological labels.
edit on 6-4-2017 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I dont think thats the case to be honest.

One of my closest friends was an ex army sniper with a lot of awards. A lot. He's a hell of a nice guy and is always more than kind and generous, sincerely.

I think sociopathy and psychopathy are present in certain people from fairly young ages. I dont think you can really train a person out of having empathy. Perhaps in context, yes (in battle) but outside of a battle situation, i know many ex military persons are actually quite empathetic.
edit on 6-4-2017 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-4-2017 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   
There are plenty of dems in the military.

Does the Military Vote Really Lean Republican?

A Pew survey released last year showed post-9/11 veterans’ political leanings are the reverse of the public they’re serving: 36% describe themselves as Republicans, and 21% as Democrats; 34% of the public said they were Democrats, and 23% Republican. Six in 10 vets say they’re more patriotic than the average American.

But there is conflicting evidence. The Center for Responsive Politics reported last month that self-described military personnel had donated $678,611 to Obama, 85% more than the $398,450 the Romney campaign has collected.

swampland.time.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

No , their True Calling is being a Radical Progressive Liberal Democrat .

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Many republicans weren't in the military. And many in the military are non combative roles.

Democrats probably have as many sociopaths as most demographs share similar densities of psychological labels.

All Democrats are sociopaths with the opposite problem. That is, they feel too much of what other people are feeling.

I still think the idea that having training in not having empathy in a large portion of our population has an affect on our country's political zeitgeist.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Woah Woah. I don't know what you're doing by bringing sources and data into a thread that is obviously making a loose argument to label Republicans as having tons of sociopaths.

Also a blatant jab at people who risk their lives for our country.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Oh please. The Democrats serve the status quo as much as Republicans.

Obama raised defense spending, bombed five more countries than Bush, increased drone strikes, toppled countries, assassinated US citizens and prosecuted journalists.

And the Democrats love him.

I love how people cling to politics like religion, and the self righteousness is in both.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I was in the military and I was never trained to not have empathy. Furthermore it's pretty insulting you think people in the military laugh at the idea of helping people.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
There are plenty of dems in the military.

Does the Military Vote Really Lean Republican?

A Pew survey released last year showed post-9/11 veterans’ political leanings are the reverse of the public they’re serving: 36% describe themselves as Republicans, and 21% as Democrats; 34% of the public said they were Democrats, and 23% Republican. Six in 10 vets say they’re more patriotic than the average American.

But there is conflicting evidence. The Center for Responsive Politics reported last month that self-described military personnel had donated $678,611 to Obama, 85% more than the $398,450 the Romney campaign has collected.

swampland.time.com...

Well, that's not exactly true. A Democrat from Texas is further to the right than a Republican from New Jersey. Bernie was the real Democrat. Hillary was Nixon Republican. She wrote in her book she worked on the Goldwater campaign in college. How can a college Republican ever be considered to be a Democrat. The Democrat party has been taken over by Republicans.

But the thread is about the idea does military training change your ability to have empathy for other people. And consequently does not having empathy mean you are less conducive to support government policies designed to help other people. Do ex-military Republicans have compassion?

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

"I've never had a problem killing... I don't keep a tally, but I don't lie in bed and worry about it,"

Their words not mine. I was cherry picking opinions not facts anyway.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I forgot, one person speaks for all.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Many people in charge are able to achieve such hi status because they are willing to step on others toes to get to the top. Some were raised to it, conditioned by a lifetime of experience.

Imagine being raised in a wealthy family by nannies, sequestered away from the public at large because of their wealth and status. As they grow up they consider themselves better than because they see all they have compared to everyone else.

They go to finer schools all paid for, become officers in the military, order others to their death, become attorneys first defending bad guys, then as DAs putting innocent people in jail. Any wrestling wth conscience is long gone by the time they become politicians, they have the big picture, making decisions that affect thousands of lives at a whim.

By the time they reach a pinnacle of power and control in the gubment, military or hi finance, they could care less about the little people, only considering their selfish desires and who they are competing with at their level.

Full fledged sociopaths with narcissistic tendencies. The most dangerous combination of dysfunction.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

That's his extreme empathy.

I always thought if you were empathetic, it was for all people. But I guess you don't have to be empathetic for the military if you catch one guy with a messed up quote.

Never mind the fact the military risks their lives, or put their lives aside to SERVE their country.

But apparently Democrats are the only people who serve the world.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   
If military men were conditioned towards sociopathy in the way you describe, then so many of them wouldn't return home with PTSD. Have you seen any studies to support your assertion that more military people are Republicans?

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

a reply to: FauxMulder

That's his extreme empathy.

I always thought if you were empathetic, it was for all people. But I guess you don't have to be empathetic for the military if you catch one guy with a messed up quote.

Never mind the fact the military risks their lives, or put their lives aside to SERVE their country.

But apparently Democrats are the only people who serve the world.

Maybe you are right. Maybe ex-military types are bleeding hearts after all. I would have never have known based on my experiences.

But if I'm wrong I am wrong. If the thread shows I'm wrong I can accept it.

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Mental issues with conservatives are rare.

There is a whole slew of mental issues that go along with the low moral values of the extreme left. Murder of children is ok in the mind of a sick person.

They have no clue to their illness. It is as if they are blind. A very sad situation

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

I think the lack of empathy from the OP skated over the fact many young men and women join because of socioeconomic factors.
edit on 6-4-2017 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Sociopaths make better corrupt 'politicians', yes.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join