It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glass of Merlot gives brain a work out: Drinking wine engages brain more than any other human behavi

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
A glass of merlot gives your brain a workout. Professor Gordon Shepherd says that wine sparks a reaction in both the sensory and emotional parts of the brain.

A glass of Merlot or Sauvignon Blanc could give your brain an all-over workout.

Drinking wine engages more of the brain than 'any other human behaviour', according to one leading neuroscientist.

Professor Gordon Shepherd, from the Yale School of Medicine, said drinking wine sparks a reaction in both the sensory and emotional parts of the brain.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

In experiments Shepherd claims he has evidence that wine engages more to the brain than music or solving math problems. The brain creates the flavor I really don't understand the whole thing, I will have a glass and think about it.

In his experiments, he claims to have found evidence that drinking wine engages more of the brain than enjoying music or even solving a challenging maths equation.

'The molecules in the wine don't have taste or flavour, but when they stimulate our brains, the brain creates flavour the same way it creates colour,' he told National Public Radio in the US.

edit on 5-4-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Drinking wine engages more of the brain than 'any other human behaviour', according to one leading neuroscientist.

I knew it!!!

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

What about beer? Because by now I should be a friggin' genius and seeing the world in the color of beer!

I like stouts with coffee in them. Does that count? Because by now I should have invented FTL travel!

I guess wine is cool too. But I usually drink mine from a box...

Merlot???!! Yuk!

edit on 5-4-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: sideways

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I have seen many an Einstein recite very difficult equations while in the middle of a "brain stimulation" at bars. It is truly impressive.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Just got home from work, popped a cork and I feel smarter already.
edit on 5-4-2017 by Nickn3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

But, merlot?

I demand a study be done for the awesomeness pinot grigio does to my brain.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I smell grant money.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Grapes are good for you, so why shouldn't wine be good for you too??

I've read many times that wine is good for us... in fact I bought a couple bottles earlier.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Usually the more processed a food is the worse it is for you. Perhaps this is the exception?

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I sure hope this is true.

It probbaly is not.

Although, who knows? Wine is probably the most natural of fermented beverages... so I guess It is feasible it has more health benefits than the others...

Wish it were true for beer and whiskey!

Like all my favorite things, i probably over indulge to the point of losing any benefit. But that's my own problem.

I have always felt that wine benefits conversation more so than any other drink.

Interesting stuff.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: SteamyJeans

It could be grant money time and Professor Shepherd had to release something to show some success. I can't say. But I do know money makes the world go around.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
And there's no stigma attached to getting inebriated, because you're doing something "cultured," that white people do for enjoyment.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Remember Monty Python's song about the philosophers all being stupendous drunks? I believe 'twas Bruce that sang that one. Anyway, mathematicians are also good at holding their own.

I like how they say, "Don't spit it out if you want the effect." It is pretty cool that without any particular "definition" the brain tries to "fill in the blanks". The wonders of the mind never cease!

Merlot it is then! Boy will the bartender be freaked out tonight when I order one!

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
And there's no stigma attached to getting inebriated, because you're doing something "cultured," that white people do for enjoyment.

Oh that's right, only white people drink wine. That was a close one.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
Oh that's right, only white people drink wine. That was a close one.

That's not what I said. I said that white people drink wine and elevate it to the level of a kind of competition to see who can be the most skilled aficionado. Unlike other kinds of inebriation, which can just get you tossed in jail.
edit on 5-4-2017 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Yea that's kind of what I was thinking.. California Grape Grower Guild ( I have no idea if they are called that but I'm sure some such organization exists) may have suggested the research.

Iv Been reading about alcoholics justifying their wine habits by saying it's good for you in some way shape or form.... just add this one to the list.

I drink beer for free, so that's where I'll be staying for now.

Anyone want to open a winery?

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Can we be so sure that the 'truth serum' aspects of alcohol influence is not what is being regarded to as 'more engaging than any other behavior'?

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Read your post, sounds like the opposite of what you just said.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
to this!

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

I call BS.

Clos Du Bois paid for this study.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join