It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plantain Pancakes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Hey, ATS

I had to share this recipe as I've been on a tear with it every day since I happened upon it a few weeks ago.

Now I'm a huge pancake fan but I never make them because I always feel hungry about 30 min after I eat a stack. There is not much nutrition to be found in them.

Enter the Green Plantain.

Even though it's a type of banana, they are considered more of a vegetable when cooking and have more nutrients then bananas.
www.nutrition-and-you.com...

The Plantain is sort of like the 'Carribean Potato.' Very popular around here but I never paid them much attention because people normally turn them into "fast food" by deep frying them.

If you like pancakes, I'm sure you'd enjoy plantain pancakes, and you'll have a full belly for atleast a few hours after

This recipe will make 2 big pancakes..

To start, cut up 1 1/2 green plantains into cubes and boil for about 15 mins. drain and cool with water.

In a bowl mix 2 eggs, 2 tablespoons coconut oil, and 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract.

Mix in 3/4 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon salt..

Mix it well and then dump it with the plantains in a blender or processor and blend until smooth.

Cook them as you would normal pancakes

Enjoy..

Note: Depending on how powerful your blender is, you may have to add a bit of water while blending as the mass gets very thick. Be careful, I actually burnt out my blender a few days ago while making these. I use my processor now; takes about 10 secs until the motor starts to bog down...but it's blended well enough.

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Tucket

I don't eat pancakes but about once a year. The first time I ate plantains they were cooked by my central american step mother and loved them.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   
You should bake the plantain first to help convert the starch into sugar. It will make it taste better and it won't kill your blender.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Thanks very much for this info on plantain bananas. I grew up with them being a Caribbean food that was a deep fried chips snack and always too sweet for me. I eat my regular yellow bananas just barely ripe firm and starchy.

You say that to the Jamaicans they are like a potato. Well I can always use another dinner side veg. (fruit?) for the supper meal, so I will try your pancakes. (You are right, not very nutritional but I LOVE pancakes with a dab of butter and Canadian maple syrup.) Then I'll see what other ways I could cook plantains. I bet you could roast chunks of them or even barbecue. Maybe brush a coating of some sort on them first. I have a feeling they're going to be awesome.

Blue Wolf

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Caroline13456

My first wife was Jamaican. I lived in Kingston for a year and have spent way too much time on that island.

Plantains aren't eaten like a potato there, that would be the boiled green banana. I love those little starchy bastards.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Yum sounds delicious and nutritious and gluten free too if you use gluten free baking powder.
edit on 3-4-2017 by Cloudbuster because: Spelling duh

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman
You should bake the plantain first to help convert the starch into sugar. It will make it taste better and it won't kill your blender.

Interesting idea..

I'll try this method today

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Caroline13456

Thanks very much for this info on plantain bananas. I grew up with them being a Caribbean food that was a deep fried chips snack and always too sweet for me. I eat my regular yellow bananas just barely ripe firm and starchy.

You say that to the Jamaicans they are like a potato. Well I can always use another dinner side veg. (fruit?) for the supper meal, so I will try your pancakes. (You are right, not very nutritional but I LOVE pancakes with a dab of butter and Canadian maple syrup.) Then I'll see what other ways I could cook plantains. I bet you could roast chunks of them or even barbecue. Maybe brush a coating of some sort on them first. I have a feeling they're going to be awesome.

Blue Wolf

You're welcome..

And yes, there are many other tasty recipes you can make with both the verde & maduro plantain..

If you find something special please share it here!

top topics

join