It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Help Understanding Why The Moon Is Trying To Overtake The Sun

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   
That flat Earth video guy overlooked the fact of 3 dimensions and the moon is 238,000+ miles from the Earth.

Tip:

If one is attempting to learn about this subject, don't start with material from the flat Earth perspective.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

If one is attempting to learn about this subject, don't start with material from the flat Earth perspective.

I have no interest in the flat earth debate.

I just find it odd that the sun and the moon, are on the same side of the earth in almost the same position at nearly the same time, only an hour or two apart.

The only perspective I have is the one I see when I look up at the sky, so that is the perspective I am interested in; even if to understand it, I may have to understand it by standing on my head, I just want to know the why of it.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

You just discovered that the Moon has phases. Because the Moon orbits the Earth (at the rate of about 28 days per orbit). It is constantly changing its position relative to the Sun. In (about) 28 days, you will see the Moon in the same phase you saw it this evening. stardate.org...

I understand the phases of the moon. I even pulled up the moon calc and the sun calc, they both came pretty close to what I was seeing.

I took two pictures a years or so back. One showed the moon setting in the northwest sky and the other the sun rising in the southeast sky. Completely opposite each other. I have seen the moon in the sky all day long in one area and watched the same moon at night in another area of the sky, but never in the same position as the sun. I may have missed it all these years, but I have never seen the moon and the sun that close together. That is why I find it odd.

edit on 31-3-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

They have to get close together.

If they never did, you would not have any solar eclipses.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Cool the moon travels the equivalent of 50 minutes of sun travel in a day

It's that much in a different spot every day

(post by DbDraad removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful
I understand that, but the next solar eclipse in not until August 21 2017. The way it looks, and I am sure it is just a matter of perspective, it looks almost like the sun and the moon are in the same place but I can't see the moon because sun is so bright. So when the sun goes down, it pops into view.

From looking at the sun and moon calc, it seems they will kiss and pass each other long before August. Again, it just appeared odd to me, just never noticed it before.

I really do appreciate all the answers.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   

The moon is far enough from Earth to catch a bit of sun light that we can see reflected. Look at some diagrams of the Earth - Moon orbits and positions.
edit on 3/31/2017 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
perhaps you could visit a astronomy place or museum....planetarium
where there might be on display a Earth Globe... along with a moon and a Sun...suspended on separate wires so a person could move them each to a place where there is an alignment which would result in a Eclipse at your particular place on the Earth

you will soon note that there are both total & partial eclipses all over the planet, possibly every month of the year...
but very rarely will one of those events be in your field of vision in the sky

the idea of the moon-Overtaking-the-Sun is a strange concept to me...

the Moon orbital plane around Earth is different than the Earth's orbital plane around the Sun... I guess that's what Your idea of a 'Chase' is based upon....

have fun with the celestial world my friend

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   

At certain times we see both the sunlit portion and the shadowed portion -- and that creates the various moon phase shapes we are all familiar with.

Link

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio
Thanks. I have been using the sun and moon calculators and they show a fairly good representation of the path of the sun and the moon. I am not in question of how the moon phases or what path it takes. I understand about eclipses, and I know I am doing a lousy job of explaining what I found odd about the sight.

I guess because this a sharing and not a debate, it makes it a bit difficult for me to express. Think along the lines of the Cheshire cat in Alice in Wonderland. It seemed one minute I was looking at this huge bright cat in the sky and the next time I looked, all I saw was its huge grin.

I thought it was beautiful and odd, so I decided to check out the internet to see if it struck anyone else as odd. I found the video I shared in my post, not because of the context, but because it had pics.

Thank you for your patient response. I have never really paid close attention to skies. Dawn always meant time to go home and dusk meant it was time to go to work.

Having a little more time on my hands, maybe I will learn a little more about what I got, the sun in the morning and the moon at night.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Thank you Roadgravel. That night it was just a thin thumbnail in the sky completely across the bottom.

I normally see it come in from the east and disappear somewhere in the west. I think it took me by surprise because it was not observable until the sun had dipped behind the trees.

It was so big and bright, that tiny sliver that it startled me. It just seemed one minute it wasn't there and then suddenly it was.

I guess you just had to be there to appreciate it.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   

edit on 31-3-2017 by SolAquarius because: MISTAKES WERE MADE

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

I've watched the moon at all it's phases. Out here away from lights it can be impressive. Beautiful.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I just find it odd that the sun and the moon, are on the same side of the earth in almost the same position at nearly the same time, only an hour or two apart.

Have you never seen a day moon when the moon and the sun from our perspective share the same sky?

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

Have you never seen a day moon when the moon and the sun from our perspective share the same sky?

Yes I have. It is quite a common site around these parts. I have just never seen the sun and the moon in the same part of the sky at the same time, unless it was an eclipse.

I probably never noticed because the sun was too bright.

I know I am doing a lousy job of explaining it but think about it like this. Imagine looking at someone shining a spotlight. They turn off the spotlight then you notice there is someone in the same spot shining a flashlight. That is kind of what it felt like.

It just felt odd at the time.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Maybe it was a screen memory of the Moon doing something weird. Did you experience missing time?

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
A bigger question :

If the Moonlight is a reflection of Sunlight, how can we see them both at the same time?

How does the Sun illuminate the side of the moon we see, from far behind it?

Temporary gravity hubs path around a larger gravity hub.

The moon is a satellite to earth, earth a satellite to sun, sun a satellite to Hunab Ku.

YET WE DOWNPLAY THE ROLE OF POLARIZED LIGHT. For what agenda are we lied to for?

Why is Moonlight cold? Why isn't the spectrum a match for the Sun it supposedly mirrors?

Who is studying the true topology of the universe? 2D in 3D by BENDING TWISTING AND KNOTTING

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: BigBangWasAnEcho

If the Moonlight is a reflection of Sunlight, how can we see them both at the same time?
How can you see your couch and the table lamp which illuminates it at the same time?

How does the Sun illuminate the side of the moon we see, from far behind it?
When it's right behind it,it doesn't. When it's to the side, it does.

sun a satellite to Hunab Ku.
Nah. (what's a Hunab Ku?)

Why is Moonlight cold? Why isn't the spectrum a match for the Sun it supposedly mirrors?
Cold? It's not cold but it is much weaker than sunlight. Why doesn't the spectrum of your couch match the spectrum of the table lamp which illuminates it?

edit on 4/18/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Good luck, Brother.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join