It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Help Understanding Why The Moon Is Trying To Overtake The Sun

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Okay. I am putting this is the Gray Area, because it is a gray area for me.

I was in class last night and my seat faced the west window. This put me in the position to watch a beautiful sun setting around 7:30pm. The class became intense, so stargazing was the furthermost thing from my mind. I came out of class at 8:30 and when I looked up, I saw a huge moon with just a tiny sliver of light at the bottom. I thought it was odd, since I had just watched the sun go down almost in that same position about an hour before. I dismissed it from my mind.

Today I had taken some of the porch furniture out into the yard for a bit of spring cleaning, so when I noticed it was starting to get dark, I brought them back onto the porch, and again watched the sun set. Just as the last of the sun was dipping below the trees, I looked up and saw the moon. It looked like it was racing to catch up to the sun. The little sliver at the bottom had gotten just a wee bit wider.

I don't remember ever seeing this before so I went to the trusty internet to see if I could find any information regarding this event. It was an oddity to me, but I am not an astronomer, so I went to look for one. I found this video. It sort of explains what I saw, though the moon in the video has the light sliver on the side. Mine was directly across the bottom. I live in South Florida.

Please don't get hung up on the fact that the guy is talking about the flat earth. I don't want to debate that. I want to know why the moon has been almost in the same position in the sky as the sun, at nearly the same time, for the last two days.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I have seen it several times it's no mystery.
Have you ever seen a day moon?
Depending on the moons location during it's cycle it will set at different times.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I looked up and saw the moon. It looked like it was racing to catch up to the sun. The little sliver at the bottom had gotten just a wee bit wider.
You just discovered that the Moon has phases.

Because the Moon orbits the Earth (at the rate of about 28 days per orbit). It is constantly changing its position relative to the Sun. In (about) 28 days, you will see the Moon in the same phase you saw it this evening.
stardate.org...

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 12:24 AM
link   

The moon travels faster around earth than the sun, that's how you get eclipses, and why sometimes it leads the sun and sometimes it follows the sun.

Get Stellarium and you'll be able to see what the sun and moon is doing. You can input your location and times.

www.stellarium.org...

Probably the best way to see what's going on.

edit on 31/3/17 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

The moon travels faster around earth than the sun, that's how you get eclipses..

The Sun does not travel around the Earth.

But you know that. Right?

edit on 3/31/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 12:27 AM
link   
And now a double post

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Uh yeah.

You know what I mean..!

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   

I do my friend, I do.
But actually, the Moon moves across the sky slower than the Sun does.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   

When the Moon God overtakes the Sun God you must sacrifice your first born or their will be eternal darkness.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   

This is why I refered to stellarium, much easier than trying to use my words and engage my brain during my lunch break...

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Oh yeah. You're having lunch, tomorrow, now.

That's weird.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Nah that's not weird, it's weird that I'm talking to you last night..

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Weird is relative. Everything is.
Except the speed of light, of course.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I do my friend, I do.
But actually, the Moon moves across the sky slower than the Sun does.

Wouldn't it move slightly faster as the orbit of the moon itself would add to the perceived speed of travel across the sky? I could be wrong, it's just what I had always thought.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

I could be wrong,

You are.
All you have to do is look up, note the angular distance between the two on one evening, and compare it the next night.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: D8Tee

I could be wrong,

You are.
All you have to do is look up, note the angular distance between the two on one evening, and compare it the next night.
Interesting. A minute of reflection tells me that this is true. I'll never doubt you again Phage.

edit on 31-3-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Very deep that, deep.

I've now finished work, and have a few pints under the belt, as a result I am now back at genius level...

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 05:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

When the Moon God overtakes the Sun God you must sacrifice your first born or their will be eternal darkness.

And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Musaka is waking.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

Please, don't even joke. In case you haven't noticed, the Dark Ages are roaring back.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join