It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Full Earth view from ISS Cupola Impossible 100 percent Fake

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I recently came across these pics,

There are more like them. I was like WTF!

I thought it was not possible to capture the entire Earth in one shot from lower Earth orbit. NASA said this themselves, it was the reason why almost all of their Earth pics are not real, but photoshopped composite images. This is by their own admission.

My role is to make imagery from Earth sciences data. I turn data into pictures.

The last time anyone took a photograph from above low Earth orbit that showed an entire hemisphere (one side of a globe) was in 1972 during Apollo 17. NASA’s Earth Observing System (EOS) satellites were designed to give a check-up of Earth’s health. By 2002, we finally had enough data to make a snap shot of the entire Earth. So we did. The hard part was creating a flat map of the Earth’s surface with four months’ of satellite data. Reto Stockli, now at the Swiss Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology, did much of this work. Then we wrapped the flat map around a ball. My part was integrating the surface, clouds, and oceans to match people’s expectations of how Earth looks from space. That ball became the famous Blue Marble.

www.nasa.gov...

Images of the earth may seem commonplace, but there are actually very few pictures of the entire planet. The problem, Simmon said, is all the NASA earth-observing satellites are in low-earth or geostationary orbit, meaning none of them are far enough away to see a full hemisphere. The most familiar pictures of the entire Earth are from the 1960s and 1970s Apollo missions to the moon.

This alone should be enough to prove that these cupola pics showing the entire Earth are fake as hell. The funny thing is that if I were to make a thread just showing these pics and would talk about how cool they are and how pretty the Earth looks from ISS there would be all sorts of space buffs, astrophotographers and space exploration "experts" agreeing on this, and not one would even notice the blatant impossibility of such a shot.

Just goes to show they will believe anything that is produced by official sources without any form of critical and independant thought......

Even after all the proof I will have provided by the end of this thread they will still be in denial of the facts and will probably resort to insults and ridicule.

Well the joke's on you.

So, although enough proof has already been offered, let me show you some visual proof. Here is a quick scale model of the Earth, showing the max altitude of the ISS above Earth and the max field of view of the Earth, from that altitude.

The ISS maintains an orbit with an altitude of between 330 and 435 km

en.wikipedia.org...

The altitude in my drawing actually represents 450 km.

We can clearly see that it is simply physically impossible to view the entire Earth from this altitude........

We can also do some calculations.

The diameter of the cupola windows together is 2 meter.

The middle window is 80 cm across. Going by these dimensions we can determine that the camera is about 2m from the windows in these pics.

Using Pythagoras we can calculate the angle of the max field of view. This would be an angle of about 53 degrees.

According to Metabunk's Earth Curve Calculator, the distance to the horizon from 450 km is 2625271 meter.

www.metabunk.org...

So using Pythagoras again we can calculate the amount of the Earth that would be visible from 450 km with that field of view.

This would be 4698890 meter, or 4699 km.

In order to get the entire Earth this would have to be 12,742 km........

So there you have it.

100% fake pic of Earth from ISS, produced by NASA.

If anyone has a problem with the values I used for my calculations go ahead and do your own calculation, it will never add up with this view, but I already proved that without the calculations.
edit on 25-3-2017 by WaxingGibbons because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: WaxingGibbons

But... Those pictures don't show a full view of the Earth. What is represented in the pictures actually seems to match the altitude drawing you made.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: DrWily

They don't? Then why do we see space all around the Earth. Come on now.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   

You don't. You see the framing of the cupola and the interior of the station. The camera is mounted inside the cupola, not on the exterior.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Complete nonsense, we can see the equipment on the outside so how can it be the framing. These excuses are laughable. Wait, let me post some close ups of the frame.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   

It is clearly not the frame, this would make the windows twice as narrow as they obviously are.......

Like I said, straight denial of obvious and simple facts........

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: WaxingGibbons

They don't? Then why do we space all around the Earth. Come on now.

You got me, I didn't look super closely at the picture. But in really looking at it, I noticed a few anomalies.

First off, where did you get those pictures? Links please. I've never seen NASA post such a low resolution pic on their site. Second... You are right, there is a abnormally large view of the Earth. It almost looks like it would have been taken from geostationary orbit...

Another possibility is image distortion. I'm sure the windows on the Cupola module are pretty thick. What could be happening is the coke bottle effect you see on people with thick glasses.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   

I already showed you that it is simply impossible to get a view of the entire Earth from that altitude. It has nothing to do with lenses and such.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Don't know if this is official enough, let me look for the original NASA sources,

www.issphotolibrary.com...

I did notice on this page that it shows views of only part of the Earth, so why is it rounded off looking like a sphere.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   

That's all inside the station, except the very small area just above the curvature of the earth in that picture. The astronauts use a DSLR to shoot out the windows of the cupola. In the original post, the "space" around the earth is inside the station.

link   

originally posted by: WaxingGibbons

I already showed you that it is simply impossible to get a view of the entire Earth from that altitude. It has nothing to do with lenses and such.

It's not impossible. A negative lens, one with a concave surface, has the ability to make objects seem smaller than they really are. Haven't you ever read the little message on the side mirrors of your car? There is a amusing scene in Jurassic Park about this very subject.

link   
Never mind.
edit on 3/25/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Nonsense.

You can see the frame of the window, and in what you claim is the frame we see a solar panel that is on the outside, obviously.

The blackness around the Earth cannot be the frame.....

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   

According to NASA themselves it is impossible from lower Earth orbit....

And again it is simply not possible because no lense will change the fact that you simply don't have the line of sight required.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Also, perhaps you aren't considering the shape of the Capola. What you are saying is absolutely true for the central round window. But the trapezoid shaped windows have a wider field of view than the drawing you made. Mystery solved.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   
So on this site you can see a pic from the cupola that shows lake Malawi. The lake is 580 km long. It is about one third of the shot. This means we are looking at 1700/1800 kms.

We should be seeing like I calculated earlier about 4700 km of the surface. The pic is obviously not zoomed in either.

www.issphotolibrary.com...

No matter how you look at these pics, they are fake, fake, fake.......

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   

BS, the max diameter that you can view through is still 2m, regardless of the angle of the windows. And again, such a shot is simply not possible from that altitude, NASA claims this themselves for god sakes.

You didn't solve anything. You are in straight denial.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Ace Ventura covered that too, right at the beginning of the first movie.

Great film!

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   
It doesn't even look like full earth pictures. The first picture there's only part of one land mass. Can you link to the pictures you're using?

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Not fake, just a fisheye lens. In that picture the middle window and the surrounding windows look flat, while in reality they are side windows
edit on 25/3/2017 by chrismir because: typo

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join