It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov yanks man's last name from licence plate

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   
link

What a time to be alive...

Mr. Grabher wants his licence plate back.

A Dartmouth man is furious that after 25 years the Nova Scotia Registry of Motor Vehicles has cancelled his personalized licence plate with his last name Grabher on it, following a single complaint.

Lorne Grabher is of German heritage. He said he bought the plate as a gift for his father's 65th birthday. His father passed away in the 1990s and the plate has remained in the family.

Last December, he received a letter telling him the plate would be cancelled in January because the public cannot be expected to know it is his last name and "can misinterpret it as a socially unacceptable slogan."

"I was taken aback. How can you say my name is a slogan when it is not?" Grabher told CBC News.

"Where does the province of Nova Scotia and the government of Nova Scotia get the right to discriminate against a person's name?

This seems like social justice gone too far again. It just goes to show how time has changed. Society is easily offended by anything. Maybe society is trying too hard to be offended. I think he should get his plate back what do you believe?

edit on 23-3-2017 by RayTheWizardLiotta because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: RayTheWizardLiotta

IF only he was a Grabheim.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Your monkey keeps dancing to my music. far out.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

No that may be considered misogynist

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   

I can see both sides of this. I don't see it as social justice gone too far. It seemed to be a tricky call on the part of the authorities.

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Um, what's tricky about it?

Wasn't an issue until some single asshat decided to cry about it. That asshat should have been told to grow the hell up as stop wasting peoples times with such insanity.

link   

Once it was known that it is actually his last name the authorities should know it's not offensive.

+6 more 
link   
The complete irony of this entire event was that the judge who determined that his plates were offensive is named. . . . . Anita Bitchslappin

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl

Um, what's tricky about it?

Wasn't an issue until some single asshat decided to cry about it. That asshat should have been told to grow the hell up as stop wasting peoples times with such insanity.

They do look very closely at Vanity Plates. Some are turned down for a variety of reasons. I only hope the money was refunded.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   
These are the other listed banned names.

HESHE
GONADS
GRINGO
GOD4U2
69PRIX
HOOTCH
HOTFU
DOOBIE

No one has a sense of humor anymore. GONADS is kinda funny. I like GRINGO too.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: RayTheWizardLiotta

Once it was known that it is actually his last name the authorities should know it's not offensive.

I agree. I don;t know Nova Scotia law on Vanity Plates though. In general, they are highly scrutinized.

Again, if it wasn't allowed, I would hope all monies paid were returned.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

When I was reading that it felt like a bit from Jimmy Kimmel

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Hahaha "Grabher". That's freakin hilarious!

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
These are the other listed banned names.

HESHE
GONADS
GRINGO
GOD4U2
69PRIX
HOOTCH
HOTFU
DOOBIE

No one has a sense of humor anymore. GONADS is kinda funny. I like GRINGO too.

Then you should go to work for the DMV and change this HORRENDOUS INJUSTICE /sarc

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

I like the DOOBIE plate. That one totally shouldn't have been taken out.

GONADS is just funny as sh't.

I wonder if DILDO is allowed still. Like after the town.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

lol ok now this is just too much! Tell me you jest?

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

I can see both sides of this. I don't see it as social justice gone too far. It seemed to be a tricky call on the part of the authorities.

I see the one side, a man cant have his name on his licensplate, because of haters, what is the other side?

Why is it a tricky call? Someone gets offended, so he cant keep his name? What if he gets offended by that?

Did he intend to offend people, with his name? NO - so why shouldnt he keep his plates?

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   
well I think the name is funny and thous baned ones are funny but on a more real I can also see how it maybe not be just one offended fool.
and happen to aggree with plates you want to be special fine do so but your rights ends were others rights begin .
as for the poor dude well taht name would have given him trouble here in grade school /
and if it was a girl with it ooo boy . Sorry to say kids are much cruler then adults ever could be .

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Neith

I doubt anyone here in CA would complain about DOOBIE.

Might get some police attention though.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Sounds like a great plate for our POTUS! Paint some kitty cats on the side of the limo, slap that plate on too!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join