It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeology dig in Spain yields prehistoric ‘crystal weapons’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I've made an obsidian blade with a single stroke.
It was sharp enough to shave with.
It was perfect for cleaning small game.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Nice!

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Neat!

I wonder what if anything gave these crystals more meaning than decorative.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Box of Rain

I think this is the nicest spear head I have ever seen, It would be good for on e throw, you miss you make a new head.

Its a dagger. The maker would never risk throwing it. It was made for plunging into flesh by hand.

difference between daggers and knives
edit on 19-3-2017 by intrptr because: changed

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   
They were laughing their a** off as they made these knowing in the future folks would find these and go "WTF"

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: seasonal

That would be pretty tough to make... I wonder if these were used specifically for sacrifices, etc...

Maybe you need spirit weapons to.hunt spirit animals in the afterlife?

There was other archealogical evidence to show that exotic colors wer popular for knife blades. Some were found with zebra stripes and being bright pink in color. My guess is that as every teenager had to have one, they were the equivalent of mobile phone covers in the present day.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: LSU0408

I wonder how long it took to make this spear head? Maybe the craftsman that made it could crank them out every 15 minutes.

I would love to have one hanging on my wall. But it seems these are rare, I would think they were ceremonial.

Some dude probably made them to impress one or more ladies. It's the same old story.

If not, they would probably not be sturdy enough for everyday use, but I'm not familiar with crystals and how brittle they may or may not be.

My guess is ornamental - they had plenty of spare time in those days, without the Internet.
edit on 19-3-2017 by Uberdoubter because: Minor tidying.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I want one!

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: GreyWebby

Me too, welcome to ATS.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Thank you!!

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
If crystal breaks on the first use (or first few), but it is highly effective for that one use (or a few), then a warrior might carry that as his emergency "silver bullet". He probably would do most of his fighting with normal weapons that won't wear out, of course.

But you have to remember, when you're in combat you only get one chance to live. It's not a video game. No "extra lives".

And only professional soldiers are worried about getting through battle after battle after battle. It's different for our every day "tribal warrior" who will likely only see combat a few times in his life. He's more of a civilian/soldier.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I've cabbed a lot of stones, and can't imagine how tedious this would have been without modern lapidary equipment. And these blades are beautiful.
edit on 30-3-2017 by Valentinus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Howdy! I am a flintknapper, I work with a lot of glass and obsidian. I have made tools from quartz but they seem to be crumbly and inferior, unless you found something very high quality. These quartz crystals in the op are some of the purest I have ever seen and I bet they are razor sharp. Now, these quartz crystals, if you notice on the bigger blades, only seem to flake across the piece not down it. I have heard that highly pure crystals have a structure that only lends itself to unidirectional flaking.

I am going to try and upload a vid of a glass knife that I made using only stone and antler tools. The blade that is. I use my dremel on the wood lol, I have done a couple handles primitively and I don't want to do that anymore. I think a good handle would have been more valuable than the blade, luckily the glue I use is made of pine resin and the blade can be removed and a new one attached.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

Hello my friend!

The points you linked to seem like modern "Ishi" style points. The others look like glass pedernales points from Texas or something similar. Could you link to your source for the pic? I would love to read it. If Iberians were making Ishi style points independently and earlier that would be pretty dang neat.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
That's what's left of Spain ... Archeology of a country that once was. That once was a nation-state with a claim over Gibraltar. Now a bunch of losers playing the british colonialist free-trade game in a fallen Europe. Will it return to be part of the caliphate of Cordoba, as during early 2nd millennium? From wikipedia: "al-ʾAndalūs, possibly, Land of the Vandals"

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flanker86
That's what's left of Spain ... Archeology of a country that once was. That once was a nation-state with a claim over Gibraltar. Now a bunch of losers playing the british colonialist free-trade game in a fallen Europe. Will it return to be part of the caliphate of Cordoba, as during early 2nd millennium? From wikipedia: "al-ʾAndalūs, possibly, Land of the Vandals"

Seriously? That's what you get out of this thread? Dude, you need a new hobby!
Back on topic, quartz points are not that unusual in an Eastern Woodlands context, though they are always a score. And a buddy of mine does crazy knapping in glass. He uses old tv picture tubes as a source of material.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lithicalus

Hello my friend!

The points you linked to seem like modern "Ishi" style points. The others look like glass pedernales points from Texas or something similar. Could you link to your source for the pic? I would love to read it. If Iberians were making Ishi style points independently and earlier that would be pretty dang neat.

Good call lithicalus,

My bad for not doing due dilligence, those arrow heads are in fact the work of Ishi. I got the pic from a arrowhead collectors blog, so i assumed they knew what they were talking about.
I thought they looked an awful lot like modern native american points.
I did find several other references on quartzite points and blades from iberia, ill try re retrace them.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Lithicalus

Not crystal, here are some actual solutrean points, i think these are from spain.

This style survived into the bronze age in parts of africa.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Now those look more Solutrean! Ishi was really something else.

posted on Apr, 16 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

These arrowheads are of a different material. End of story. I'm amazed in this modern world how people see more into things than they are.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join