It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rapper Iceberg Black--This Guy is On Fire.. On His Own Beats Too.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I really liked the beats and would listen to instrumentals, but didn't like the lyrics I guess i'm too old to be a gangster nowadays.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Jdubious

lol, thanks for stopping in Jdub!
I agree with you that Iceberg's beats are on point-- I also likes how he raps on the beat. But his lyrics are definitely a weak point, didn't resonate with me.

I saw RTJ1 btw, and it was so good. Love Killer Mike's lyrics, always have. From all his interviews/etc I think he's probably a real intelligent, good dude.
edit on 15-3-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Hell yea loaded lux i been listenin to the dude since i first saw him start battling, around the time him and mook were on top... He does a track with method man and redman, they all got dope bars but meth kills it of course haha you should check it out its fire... But yea if you have the time, definetly check out some of ness lees newer battles do a youtube search with date as your filter option... He does some stuff with kingofthedot which i like cuz on url/smack most of them sound the same, kotd keeps it unique with crazy good spitters from all over

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   

I also recommend checkin out horseshoe gang and team backpack... Anything that has to do with joel ortiz and slaughterhouse is straight fire, jarren bentin, e money... I could keep it goin ill just stop there haha

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Been listening to El-P since early 2000's he's one of my favorite rappers and definitely my favorite producer his old stuff is really abstract, his beats make me feel like i'm living in a post apocalyptic world.

BTW check out my Eyedea tribute thread missed you on that one.

Eyedea Tribute

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Scamzarilla

No don't stop! lol.. I got plenty of time and inclination if you have any more fire

Thanks though for those new artists. Time to check out some joints.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Scamzarilla

Stuff sounds pre written and rehearsed to me, more like a comedy roast than a rap battle. Do you have a link or video of some off the top freestyles?

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Man I stopped in to check it out (it was a great thread) but didn't think I had much to say as a new Eyedea fan and all..
So I'll listen more deeply and will come in with something to actually say. Give me a day or two. Deal?
El-P is really innovative and I like his energy and talent. Great crew with Killer Mike.
They really compliment each other perfectly.
My brother has seen all three tours, I think, and of course it was dope.

See you in your Eyedea thread soon!

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Cool man, take your time no rush. The one thing about Eyedea I don't like is that he ruined battle rap for me cuz no one even comes close to off the top freestyles. I'm done for the night it's past my bedtime, nice thread thanks.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015

youtu.be...

He bodied it!!

WTF? That was one of the hottest I've heard in a LONG TIME. I recall when he was getting buzz before he got locked up. He most certainly is part of my generation and not this mumble rap jegging stuff that is out now. I could understand every word, concise and innovative word play and still dropping some knowledge to think on.

Bodied that sh*t for damn near 8 minutes.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Yeah, there's actually a pretty good Hip hop/alternative rap scene in the UK at the moment.

I've never been a fan of the more grimey stuff the UK usually puts out, but a few guys on High Focus record label are pretty decent, with classic 90's trip/hip hop sounding beats.

edit on 16-3-2017 by AbdulAlhazred because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: AbdulAlhazred

They're good

Grime is a UK sound and then there's that other UK form that's slower, older and more lyrical. Four Owls and Fliptrix are great; they sound like Jehst, Mud Fam and Chester P. You know what I mean? That early 2000s UK sound. Is your Fliptrix track riffing over RZA's Ghost Dog production?

I've a theory the English rap groups loved their weed and not the coke so tracks were generally slower and calmer than some of the NY guys who banged the coke and smoked skunk all day.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Yeah, I just stumbled across them a few months back. Only recently started getting back into hip hop, but I recognise the first 2 you mentioned. Not sure about the RZA thing, but wouldn't surprise me considering the sample based nature of the genre. I actually thought the 4 owls tune sounded a bit wu-tangy if anything.

You're theory seems sound. Definitely that Fliptrix fella at any rate! It's a staple in most of his vids/songs!

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Jam Baxter and Triple Darkness are great too.

The weed thing is definitely true!

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Thanks to everyone for participating in and adding to this thread! Can't wait to listen to all the artists mentioned here that are new to me.

I just love talking about this stuff.

Oh, and seasonal, bet you didn't know that Vanilla Ice used to battle rap in the Houstin scene.. my husband interviewed Sir Juke Box (of the original Getto Boys) who had a hilarious story about that. Basically is was no big deal to beat Vanilla Ice, but lose in battle to him and you won't live that down.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

a reply to: AbdulAlhazred

There are some older mixes on YT that totally represent the 'UK hiphop' sound. They've got Skinnyman, Doc Brown, Jehst in them etc. I've had the mixes since they came out around 2004-5 and someone's uploaded many of them.

Here's one:

I bought Four Owls 'Natural Order' today so thanks

Jam Baxter and Triple Darkness are great too.

I'm checking them out now. Recognise the vid for 'KNUCKLE DUST'

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

This was my last favorite song by Mysonne.. he really drops the truth on this track. I love it.

So glad he's still flame
And improving his craft, also..

edit on 16-3-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Sorry haha no i dont....most battles nowadays are not "traditional" freestyle... But if you ask any rapper or real rap head out there, a Technical freestyle is just bars that nobody has heard before, non recycled original lines

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 05:27 AM
link   

If you want some more good hip hop but more of an older boom bap style, check out heltah skeltah...rockness monsta and sean price (rip) are some of the best spitters ever.... Jedi mind tricks is dope, check out R A the Ruggedman, especially this track

youtu.be...

And defi etly this one by joel ortiz

youtu.be...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join