It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1930's Cadillac Abandoned in the Mountains

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: esteay812

Man, it gets the blood flowing doesn't it? I love seeing old, abandoned cars and dreaming of fixing them up.

There was a derelict farm building a few miles from where I lived as a kid. We'd go out on bikes for long rides and used to pass it now and then. Inside was a blue TVR M series gathering dirt and bird sh** with straw and weeds beneath it. The tyres were flat and it was in a sorry, unloved state.

I pestered my dad about it until he made an offer and we took it home. We worked together on it for months until it was finally ready to get back on the road. Great memories.

Nah. In reality, he wasn't interested and the car stayed there for I don't how long. I grew up and drove past one day and couldn't help stopping to have a look. The car was gone.

I still drive past the building and always think of the TVR, childhood and my dad. The building is now buttressed by rusting I-bars and an iron sheet; brambles and nettles crowd against the fragmented brickwork.

It's funny how some things pin their selves to our mental landscape and evoke emotions. Kinda cool too.

edit on 3.14.2017 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Yeah, it is kinda funny how certain things are chosen to be long-term memories and how those memories can seem show-room new, even when reality shows an aged and withered object.

I don't think I've ever seen any TVR in person. That would have been cool to have, even if you never restored it. I think the Cadillac in the video is slightly past the point of restoration though, lol.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

There's no coming back for the Caddy

It'd still be very cool to stumble across something like it.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Big cat's are pretty scary, you don't see or hear them till it's almost too late..don't run, make yourself as big and aggressive looking/sounding as possible, a gun is probably a good idea.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   
About 15 years ago i found a model T on top of mountain in Nevada.
The nearest road was a good 10 miles away.
And i just checked google earth and the car is still there.

Another mountain has three mine haul trucks, a big loader and a gold wash plant on top from the late 1970s when a flood washed out the only road in and the mining company went bankrupt.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Beautiful footage.

I would grab that caddy and stick it in my garden and a flower bed.

I have a thing for old cars
Roached out ones with all that rust and patina are extra cool.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Get yourself a flat bed and go get it!
a reply to: ANNED

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   
This is a great find and one of special interest to me. My family has been involved with the CCCA (Classic Car Club of America) for many years. At one time I was one of the youngest certified show judges in the organization. My family owned quite a few cars and one of my favorites was a 1932 Cadillac Sedan. It was a beautiful example of what cars used to be. We had many cars used in film and print. Three of our cars were in the movie "The Godfather", including the '32.

There is not much to see in the video so I can't really give details about this car. But I can tell you that it does appear to resemble the shape and size of the early 30's sedan. It would have had a dual cowl hood with side vents, giant bucket headlights (4), a cold air vent in front of the wind screen for passenger compartment air, the rear doors would have opened forward (suicide doors) due to the proximity of the rear wheel wells, there would have been easily three feet of space between the back set and the front seat for leg room, and the trunk would have been an actual steamer trunk strapped to a luggage deck on the back of the car. The sedan would probably have had an eight cylinder but the limo version would most likely have had a V16.

Its a shame to see the remains of such a beautiful automobile left in the wild but somewhere I am willing to bet there is a CCCA guy rubbing his hands together thinking of a way...
edit on 14-3-2017 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

I am not sure of the exact model of the car, but I'm sure there is a way to find out with closer inspection. I would bet it is early 1930's, due to the time frame when the logging ended. I'm not sure there is enough there to restore though. Even if there were, it would be almost impossible to get it out of the National Park without being spotted and arrested/fined.

There is another car abandoned in the woods a few miles away from there, on a different trail. The engine block is still in it, but the rest looks about like the Cadillac. I think it's a truck. I'll try to get to it soon and take some video or pics of it.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Amazing, but dude, get rid of that fisheye! Every time the camera moves I think the CIA slipped acid in my coffee. Which is even more suspicious since I dont drink coffee

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Ridhya

Thanks. I'd use a different camera if I had a decent one. Use what you've got, know what I mean?

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Here is a video by another local guy that shows the Cosby area. There is a lot of history in Cosby. Locally it's become known because of how much pot is grown there. There is also a ton of moonshine that comes from this area as well.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join