It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Flat Earth" does't even work in science fiction, but you believe this malarchy????????

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 05:29 AM
link   
The closest sci if I have ever seen towards flat earth or universe would be Star Trek's 'Ship in a bottle' episode. Hologram character, Moriarty, becomes self aware that his world is not real. The resolution was to deceive him and place him and his lady into another hologram program and simply file him away.

Can't remember all the details, but remember that 'hmmm" moment of asking myself, 'what if?' If we are unknowingly interacting within a simple 3d hologram program that is simply stored on someone's hologram entertainment floppy disk, would it not seem flat, if one became aware?

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Has "flat earth" ever even been portrayed in scifi? I know "hollow earth" has been.

Not sci fi but didn't the black pearl go over the edge of the world .

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 05:35 AM
link   

CNN says the world is round and CNN is fake news...

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Obviously, from the ages of old before humans knew much of anything about anything about anything

The ancient Greeks knew the world was a sphere.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 05:41 AM
link   
The world is shaped like a carrot.
The Elder Gawds are immense bunnies.
That is my story and I am sticking with it.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

HA! So she did!

Well, shiver me timbers! I had totally forgotten that!

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 05:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

CNN says the world is round and CNN is fake news...

Holy shia'ite! There might just be something to this flat earth noise!!

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

And a thank you Sir for bringing the word skullduggery back .

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I think an epidemic has broken out ,one of the major causes is from living below the earth in your mom's basement,some never put their phones or pads down,just wait till we lose electrical power,mass suicides,this is insane and it's not just a few,they have hundreds and thousands of followers

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

Actually about 1400 years ago , remember Pythagoras , you know the triangle bloke . And yes i agree with you . BUT this has been a great day for rarely used words , first TB uses skullduggery now you use malarkey . I doth think this is a truly great day .

1400 years?!?!? Pythag lived before Christ. I think you mean 2500 years.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Saibotkram1988

1400 years?!?!? Pythag lived before Christ. I think you mean 2500 years.

Yes you are totally correct and now i will go and beg forgiveness from the person that invented the square .

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 05:58 AM
link   

You know me by now hutch622.

I believe the kids might say that my preference is to kick it old school.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
I do realize it's been a mostly tough year for choice cinema...

How desperate have people become, for good old fashioned entertainment?

At what point does thinking outside of the box, lose the spheres of influence??

How far must you open your mind, before your brains fall out???

What happens when you cross doomsday cultism, with nihilism?

While these each can become complicated questions, the one thing that slam dunks them all is this ludicrous "Flat Earth" noise.

I've heard more than enough of this stuff, direct from some true believers even.

What they never seem to get it, just because good science fiction tends to involve elements that dont exist yet, logical fallacies in presenting such isn't the grand design.

In numerous scifi flicks we've seen the pre-future notion of the spinning wheel spacecraft (which supplies artificial gravity) a plenty. The mere existence of the concept isn't itself a logical fallacy. We just haven't built one yet....

The ways one could completely obliterate this flat earth noise is seemingly infinite. I would surmise it goes far beyond the contortions of logic the believers of the flat earth / no gravity / no outer space crowd could themselves come up with, but once you throw logic and observation out the window there's no limits to imaginative absurdity that one could behold in pursuits of their Motivated Reasoning.

But forget all of that for a moment.... Has "flat earth" ever even been portrayed in scifi? I know "hollow earth" has been.

If you're into this stuff, just ask yourself, on top of the millions of people over the course of the last 100+ years who would have to be in on this 'conspiracy' to cover up this 'truth', now also everyone across all of cinema across the entire globe are also in 'on it'???

Have you ever thought flat earthers are making it up so people who moan and complain about them look silly
You look silly

Even if they believe it, you still look silly, nothing about your rant makes you look credible or intelligent, flat earthers have made you look foolish
Sorry

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   
My main issue with flat earth believers is their attitude. I recently had the misfortune to have a 40 minutes conversation with a hard core flat earth conspiracy person. I tried to reason with him mentioning stuff like gravity, space programs, astronauts, NASA, planets etc. He dismissed all of them on the spot. Not even open to the possibility that his believes are not right.

The only time I met with this "you are absolutely wrong mate" attitude, was conversations with extremely religious people.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   

I believe the kids might say that my preference is to kick it old school.

Hey TB i would prefer skulduggery to cray cray any day of the week . And you can take that to the tower of London .

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Right, because articulating unique reference points of doubts in the modern Flat Earth Religion is the epitome of a lack of intelligence or credibility.

Thanks for the reminder.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Next time I am down that way, I shall deliver it there, of that you may have no doubt!

Right. Onward! To the next cup of tea!

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Check PMs .

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Fortunately though, your opinion isn't fact.

People like Neil deGrasse Tyson have addressed the flat earth nonsense, and I'm 100% sure he isn't silly.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   

The 3D nature of our world is as fundamental to our sense of reality as the fact that time runs forward. And yet some researchers believe that contradictions between Einstein's theory of relativity and quantum mechanics might be reconciled if every three-dimensional object we know and cherish is a projection of tiny, subatomic bytes of information stored in a two-dimensional Flatland

from " There Is Growing Evidence that Our Universe Is a Giant Hologram" on Motherboard

i do not really understand what that means but the Flatland part could be relevant here...? maybe after all the flat-earthers are on to something...

anyway i love Terry Pratchett´s Discworld books - and i think he nailed it !

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join