It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Flat Earth" does't even work in science fiction, but you believe this malarchy????????

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite
All I can think is that flat earth numpties cant travel much!

They can, but they fall off eventually..

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

But forget all of that for a moment.... Has "flat earth" ever even been portrayed in scifi? I know "hollow earth" has been.

Like other things we've discussed, it hangs on a single mistake.

"Hollow Earth" depends on a central Sun. However, that won't work. Nothing inside a hollow structure is orbitally stable with respect to an enclosing spherical structure. So, a "central Sun" inside a hollow Earth won't work. It'll hit the inside of the hollow Earth in short order. Because a hollow sphere with a central Sun isn't stable.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
I always got the impression that the original Flat Earth Society were just interested in arguing for arguments sake but maybe they did not actually believe in a flat Earth. But YouTube is full of complete nutters who apparently think that the ISS is fake, satellites are fake, etc, etc and whose grasp of science and common sense is just appallingly lacking.

Some people distrust governments, TPTB, MSN etc yet are quite willing to unquestioningly believe some complete nutcase on YouTube and pride themselves on not being "sheeple" yet the sad and ironic truth is that that is exactly what they are. Credulous, gullible idiots. Sad, really.

Ever hear of Christians Against Dinosaurs?

I thought the chick who led that onfacebook, Kristen Auclair, was a POE... but really, I think she is serious...

edit on 14-3-2017 by savemebarry because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Idreamofme

Let me ask you a question.

Does every camera you ever used in your life, use the same contrast and exposure settings?

I am willing to bet that they do not. I am also willing to bet that there have been changes in the main apparatus used to photograph the planet over the years. Furthermore, the atmospheric conditions on each occasion will have been different.

But never mind the simple optical science at work, never mind reason or logic.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: savemebarry

I thought the chick who led that onfacebook, Kristen Auclair, was a POE... but really, I think she is serious...

Well, at least she's cute. She's got that going for her.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: savemebarry

Basically, they're the ones who adhere to the "earth is only 7000 years old" camp. They believe that fossils were placed to "test" the "faith" of man. It's a rather silly notion that a GOOD God would do any such thing, but that's pretty much the ideology.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Upside Down (2012)
www.imdb.com...

Adam and Eden fell in love as teens despite the fact that they live on twinned worlds with gravities that pull in opposite directions. Ten years after a forced separation, Adam sets out on a dangerous quest to reconnect with his love.

Great movie

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

You win

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

What about self correcting attitude jets like in Nivens Ringworld? Hey i just figured what volcanoes are useful for.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Ringworld Engineers in part to address these engineering issues. In it, the ring is found to have a system of attitude jets atop the rim walls

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

I found this interesting drawing of a ship about to go over the edge of earth but i really do have to wonder where the person doing the drawing was sitting .

And if the world is flat , where do the waves come from .

Where does the water go? Shouldn't the ocean(s) drain in not too long of a time.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

originally posted by: hutch622

And if the world is flat , where do the waves come from .

Where does the water go?

To Kansas:

edit on 15/3/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Could be that only M.C. Escher understands this flat world situation.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

What about self correcting attitude jets like in Nivens Ringworld? Hey i just figured what volcanoes are useful for.

They're sort of easy to spot. And you know what happened in Ringworld. The natives used the attitude jets for spacecraft motors, not knowing what they were for.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I remember that about the natives. But the attitude jets could stabilize the world you mentioned?

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

The only sci-fi that I can think of, right off the bat, is the Ring World series, but that's not really flat earth...

Certainly no movie that I'm aware of has touched upon it. No reason they can't, but they haven't.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: savemebarry

Well, at least she's cute. She's got that going for her.

Lol, well she lost her job over a year ago because people on facebook went after her for talking so much twaddle. I don't agree with that, but if you ever watch her and Ra-Men talk, it's cringe worthy..

it's long, so I don't expect anyone to watch it, but yeesh... she is not all there.. even quits and blames it on other things. lol

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

I remember that about the natives. But the attitude jets could stabilize the world you mentioned?

First, Niven's attitude jets were in vacuum on the rimwall. Because they're fusion. You don't want a fusion rocket firing in your breathing air. Much less MANY of them.

Second, you'd have to move the Earth with them. And we'd notice.

Third, you have to postulate that the Earth is artificial and was designed in this stupid concentric sphere setup. There's not really any point, if you could do that, you could make multiple Earths in a Klemplerer rosette.

Fourth, you'd have to explain another thing hollow Earth gets wrong, and that's how you get the mass value for Earth that you do if it's hollow.

There are more, those are sufficient, IMHO
edit on 16-3-2017 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Certainly no movie that I'm aware of has touched upon it. No reason they can't, but they haven't.

Pish, tush, and twaddle! Hogfather and The Colour of Magic do.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Op... you MUST read this.

Flat Earth

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Advantage
Op... you MUST read this.

Flat Earth

That tried to get going here but died an immediate and well-deserved death.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join