It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flippy robot takes over the hamburger station in California restaurant

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: intrptr

Flippy's great, it doesn't get mad, it doesn't get sad, it just runs programs.

If anything, that movie showed us we shouldn't have robots in the kitchen.

#NotMyCook

I think instead of stopping progress we need to figure out how to rework our enconomy to match the new reality..

Progress rarely stops and hasn't slowed in a millinia.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   
That is exactly what robots should be used for. Monotonous boring work. I have no problem with mechanization of the food industry I bet it gets my order right far more than the people holding those jobs now.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   

#NotMyCook

Lol, when it goes wrong, its bad.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
That is exactly what robots should be used for. Monotonous boring work. I have no problem with mechanization of the food industry I bet it gets my order right far more than the people holding those jobs now.

Flipping pre cooked burger patties when steam comes up from them? How can even the dumbest dumb person get that wrong after a few minutes training?

This is not about consistency, its about savings, reducing the operating cost thru automation.

Albeit a little bit at a time, in stages, but ultimately, removing as many humans from the loop as possible.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

#NotMyCook

I think instead of stopping progress we need to figure out how to rework our enconomy to match the new reality..

OMG! You're right!

Wotta concept!

& Star &

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

...This is not about consistency, its about savings, reducing the operating cost thru automation.

Albeit a little bit at a time, in stages, but ultimately, removing as many humans from the loop as possible.

There ya go.

& star &

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
But muh 15 an hour minimum wage!

Will you be joking the same when these same robots take away your machinist job? Robots will be forecasting economic trends soon too and buying up stocks so Wall st will be out of work too. In reality there aren't many jobs left that are safe.

I know a lot of you like to knock down the minimum wage worker due to the "wrong turns in life" that the likes of you speak of when you pretend to be better than them, but you will all be singing a different tune soon unless you are a business owner. If you are a business owner, a bigger corporation that can afford robots will put you out of competition.

Make sense now?

ETA:

Make fun of minimum wage workers all you want, our jobs aren't any safer.
edit on 9-3-2017 by Mikehawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Mikehawk

What is your solution to it all then?

It isn't like you can ban innovation or progress.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I really don't care if flippy replaces all fast food cooks. I just wanted to say that while flippy may be on point he sure is a slow bastard
And what about white castle with their square burgers. Gonna have to retro fit flippy

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

I really don't care if flippy replaces all fast food cooks. I just wanted to say that while flippy may be on point he sure is a slow bastard
And what about white castle with their square burgers. Gonna have to retro fit flippy

What you going to do when Flippy does the ditty better than you and wifey no longer needs you?

LOL

Flippy is adaptive, square burgers ain't got sh#t on Flippy!

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

What is your solution to it all then?

It isn't like you can ban innovation or progress.

You're right. Innovation and progress is a good thing. My outburst was due to the usual suspects automatically knee jerking to the make fun of minimum wage workeres monkey see monkey do mentality.

In a perfect world innovation and progress would have humanity's place in mind but it seems that our innovations are profit oriented and are leaving many skilled, hard workers unable to pay the bills and the trend is only going to get worse.

As for solutions? I usually try to implement a few with a gripe but to be honest I have no idea what we can do because the people behind this progress are doing it to save a buck, not to save our value of life. Until that changes all these innovations are probably going to hurt the average Joe.

My main point is that it's easy to make fun of burger flippers losing their 15$ an hour job, but these same people won't be laughing when both their wives and themselves are laid off at the same time, unexpectedly, and are unable to feed or clothe the children. I guess fast food workers don't have kids so we can make fun of them until then.

ETA:

My senseless, soap box part of my rant was not directed towards you

I wish we could find middle ground between profit margins and job stability.
edit on 9-3-2017 by Mikehawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
These things aren't as competent as we think they are, it's going to serve you the burgers whether the repair guy sneezed on them or the griddle was cleaned with feces, just imagine the troves of people that will get sick from the secondary places using substandard practices and hardware.

Automation is awesome and all, but automate the things we need to automate 1st, learn from them and then use them in other mediums. Our food is the last thing I'd want automated, because we kinda put it in our bodies and utilize it for various things.

I like living, I like living without being sick even more.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Its coming we really need to talk and look into measure to ensure a fair and peaceful transition to full automation.

There are huge advantages to automation and AI but to do it properly we need to look and ask hard questions about the role of society,humanity, and the different social classes and whether our current system works for the transition.

Also what can and should be done to ensure a peaceful transitions.

The Key I see is education and ability for individuals to quickly transition from careers or jobs.One method that could provide or assist with that education and flexibility is to come up with a method that allow individuals to put all their bills on hold while going to school and reeducating themselves into a new field of work.

We may have to create an educationcare bill

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Makes me think about the movie "Maximum overdrive" ... Scary!!!

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

Who pays for the "universal basic income"?

If everyone is universally not working, then no one is earning what is needed to pay for it.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

You also have to ask what will happen to those who either will not or cannot transition.

Because you know some just plain won't re-educate and some won't be able to absorb the skills needed for a new job.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Quite honestly a lot of the opinions here are utterly disgraceful.

Keep the lower man down eh, why not it's not you or your life. Your fancy paid jobs make you that much better than these idiots incapable of getting your order right, who's with me, huuu durrrr.

It's funny, when you people drop your veneers you seem to resemble all those people you claim to hate on a daily basis. The way you look at these workers and deride them is EXACTLY what the 'elite' do to you. Utterly disgraceful, par the course for ATS these days....

Oh BTW before someone accuses me of being a jaded fast food worker. I'm a qualified welder and joiner. I have a trade and am skilled. I worked fast food for 2 years and quite frankly ass-hats like most the commentators here made the whole two years UTTERLY unbearable. Your lack of humility is breathtakingly apparent.
edit on 11/10/2012 by Joneselius because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Joneselius

You worked fast food ... past tense.

Most of us here likely also worked fast food.

But then, we did what was always intended. Instead of trying to make fast food our career by flipping burgers day in and day out and demanding $15/hour to do it because we work hard at it and no other reason despite the fact that it is a job that can be trained to any high school kid in less than an afternoon so the labor pool is enormous, we went out and improved our skill sets so that we could all take better jobs.

Fast food is the kind of thing we do for either a second job to make ends meet or the job or last resort when nothing else is available and we leave it as soon as we can.

But the kind of people we are talking about are the ones who think it ought to be a life-long career instead of a part-time starter job intended to build the ground floor of a resume into bigger and better things - the true careers that support your family.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

edit on 9-3-2017 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join