It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia couple given years of prison for hate crime

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

White couple weep as judge gives them 28 years in prison for interrupting a black child's eighth birthday party with Confederate flags, racist slurs and armed threats

.Kayla Rae Norton, 25, and Jose Ismael Torres, 26 were sentenced to prison
.They received varying years for hate crimes in a Douglasville, Georgia, court
.Along with members of group 'Respect the Flag' they racially terrorized a family
.An African-American group was celebrating an eight-year-old's birthday in 2015
.Norton and Torres drove through with Confederate flags and spewed racial slurs

Superior Court Judge William McClain delivered Torres a sentence to 20 years, with 13 served in prison, and Norton was given 15 years with six to serve in prison.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Their actions were certainly deplorable. I don't know what to think any more about the hatred that is flowing through our country. At first I thought the punishment was too harsh. But then I thought of the damage, the hostility and fear they were creating in todays fragile state and how I might feel if I and my family were the victim of such behavior and felt the punishment was certainly earned. They will sure be the "example" for hate crimes. If all hate crimes were treated this harshly maybe things would be much better.

Adding from link above, this happened "less than a month after the fatal shooting of nine black men and women at a historic church in Charleston by 22-year-old Dylann Roof."

What does ATS think about the severity of the punishment.

edit on Mon Feb 27 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

Well...they certainly got enough time to think about how stupid they were. And they'll certainly learn it hard in prison. Likely they will come out worse after joining up with like minded in prison though so I don't really hold out much hope for them....can't say I would hold out much hope for them even if they never got caught either. People like that don't offer much to society in general. If they did then they would have a lot better things to do than threatening kids....

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

originally posted by: SaturnFX

The judge was obviously motivated by the political influences of today's troubles,

I think the judge was more motived by the absolute disgust that a fellow human being could be so vial and disgusting. This trash got what was richly deserved.

Yes, but a judge is supposed to uphold the law and the constitution before casting judgement.

As he did

Judges don't get to be motivated by their disgust or their feelings at all, they must obey the rule of law.

Incorrect, a judge can sentence based on his own opinion which is based in many things..most of all would be just that...his disgust at the crime, the motivation, etc.
He is judge after all..if its a fair trial and you got found guilty..you better hope you didn't pee off that judge, else you're gonna have a bad day.

This one didn't.

Nope, he did. absolutely and completely. coulda given them a lot more but he seemed he was having a calm hand to them. You should really investigate the law..like those dudes who tell a judge to go F himself during a case then wonder why they got max sentences. heh

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Awesome, have fun in a jail you PoS, hey now you can get that Swastika tattoo you always dreamed of.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I don't think jail is the proper punishment. They should be forced to WORK in old folks homes, hospice, orphanages and other places where folks live that need constant care.

They will just join prison gangs and become even more racist.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I lived in Georgia for a time.

The flag and gun wavers don't surprise, nor does the sentence from the corrupt ass court system down there.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Same negativity that is exuded from the BLM protest/protesters but its okay when they do it. The penalty here is excessive, and seems to be setting an example for how to marginalize the first amendment.

Edit: Just learned the perps were accused of pointing a shotgun at unarmed kids, changes things a bit. Is it not odd that the clickbait of the story was "waiving confederate flags"?
edit on 27-2-2017 by chadderson because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
They can rot in prison for all I care. Interrupting a birthday party, going out of their way just to upset folks, and doing it under the banner of my forefathers' flag? I wouldn't cry if Georgia euthanized them.

TheRedneck

You have to be a big scary person to be bold enough to bust up in a little kid's birthday party.

I bet they planned it for DAYS to get up the courage.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   

The judge was obviously motivated by the political influences of today's troubles...

Which is why the decision is going to be pretty vulnerable to appeal, IMHO.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Oh there is no sympathy, I did not even catch they were pointing a shotty..that definitely cements it.
The sentence seems beyond the "norm"..is perhaps a better word than excessive.
I hope they enjoy the stay in prison..I'm sure the brother's and sister's will make them feel at home.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

You're absolutely right. That kind of cowardice and brutality defaces the flag they carried. I would bet good money not one of them ever even considered what it stood for... just scared punks trying to be big shots and stir up trouble.

They did. Georgia jails are not nice places.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Hmm...

They drove up in pick ups (you see, this is how stereotypes begin
), started yelling racial slurs, and making threats aimed specifically at blacks in attendance, pointing a shotgun...then it's discovered that many of them, if not most, are some form of white supremacist.

Seems to me, they've reaped what they sowed.

As for the sentences? Too bad, so sad, maybe, just maybe, they'll get a wake up call while in the hoosegow, and become something vaguely resembling responsible adults when they get out. But that's probably asking too much.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

I'll give 'em a little more credit than that. Probably that morning after a breakfast of beer fueled courage, and outrage.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

Neither one of them is going to prison for twenty years.

What are you talking about?

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   

The judge was obviously motivated by the political influences of today's troubles, and that constitutes a miscarriage of justice. A gross one. Meanwhile, someone who takes a baseball bat to someone and breaks their legs, arms, and ribs might get 10 years in prison. Kangaroo courts bouncing up everywhere these days. Even the supreme court has turned into one.

What these people did is definitely sickening and sad, but 20 plus years in prison? Rapists don't even serve that long.
My father attempted to kill & raped my mother twice. Had her imprisoned for the better part of a day. I don't care what sentence these dbags get, but I want some uniform justice. Why does he get 8 and someone else 13 for a less violent crime???

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I don't think jail is the proper punishment. They should be forced to WORK in old folks homes, hospice, orphanages and other places where folks live that need constant care.

They will just join prison gangs and become even more racist.

More racist?

I don't think that's possible.

You also assume they won't learn to make friends with black people in jail. Actually, they will learn or they'll be destroyed. That kind of cowardice doesn't come with strength, and they clearly aren't intelligent. Survival will correct them. The Redneck posted the best response here.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Sounds like justice was served, at least to me. Its bad enough to do this to adults, but at an eight year old's birthday party? Yeah, sorry, I have no sympathy whatsoever and maybe the sentence length will be an example to the next one to think twice before doing something this stupid and repulsive.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

They drove up in pick ups (you see, this is how stereotypes begin ), started yelling racial slurs, and making threats aimed specifically at blacks in attendance, pointing a shotgun...then it's discovered that many of them, if not most, are some form of white supremacist.

Jose Ismael Torres, just your garden variety white supremacist eh?

I bet there are lots of white supremacists named Torres............

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I wish protesters that blocked freeways got prison sentences even 1% as harsh as that.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

What does ATS think about the severity of the punishment.

I'm ok with it. I have no sympathy for racists who terrorize children.
edit on 28-2-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join