It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Secret Unlocked- Do you Remember that One time The Media...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Do you Remember that one time the media...made Millions of people buy a "special rock" ,which was a simple ordinary rock..you could find...literally walking out of your own house, in a park or anywhere near nature. I am sure some of you remember ... the pet rock.

One would claim that it was purely marketing genius, but was it really just marketing? Or a psychological experiment which ultimately proved how gullible the public actually are?

This is not a joke, though on the surface; one can laugh at the sheer stupidity of having been manipulated. The thought on how the media play's their roles is actually quite frightening. It is almost as if the media has obtained a form of "godhood", in the sense where it can manipulate the thoughts and human emotions within each person. (Mind Control)

Let's take a closer look at one of their commercials...

What was the actual marketing technique? The answer came to me while looking at a well made Social Justice Warrior glossary.A Glossary of Social Justice Warrior Terminology

Derail
(verb): to divert a discussion from its intended topic. This is frequently done by social justice warriors through a variety of means, including accusations of bigotry, unchecked privilege, etc.

Derailing is actually the main technique. To get people into their imaginations and paint the picture that it is not just a rock, but a special rock, more than a rock. (These are subliminal suggestions which also embeds itself within the subconscious. It also falls in line with the law of repetition.
See: Eric Holder - We Must "Brainwash" People Against Guns, for a reference.

To understand the deep psychological levels, which is a fact. The law of repetition is basically beating the same thing, same topic into your head, over and over and over until it is established as a BELIEF.
(before PC comes to say it's nonsense, sorry shutting the door on that. You can't rebuke psychological facts by professionals. Here is a fact about the human brain, and how it can be controlled.) He explains how the repetition of words can establish a belief.

Dr. Shad Helmstetter - "The Story of Self-Talk"

With this said, listen to this clip once more.

And you will notice the derail quite easily now. Hmm, now ask yourselves, who does this? All of those who use Political Correctness are using this Marketing Technique. Did you notice how the commercial doesn't give you time for your own thoughts? Such is the nature of advertisements.

When you think about it, as bill hicks once said that marketers are the satan's little helpers, and that they were the ruiners of all things good.
Bill Hicks on Marketing and Advertising. Irreverent and Controversial !

He is right, and we are witnessing that today as more and more people fall for these techniques. But one thing is sure, now you are aware, that those who use this technique are doing it to manipulate us. Of course they will come to defend themselves and paint you the picture to derail away from this topic, which is precisely what trolls (especially paid trolls) do. It is all marketing techniques done on the public, and the public falls for it every time.

The most dangerous mind to ever have, is a naive mind, because they are more susceptible for mind control. But ultimately, this all may as well tie to the infamous conspiracy theory "MK-Ultra Monarch programmings.".

It is a scary thought , to know this is the kind of power CNN and other news networks have on our minds. But this is also the reason why learning Psychology, will give you an extra set of eyes. I suggest you all take a course or least read some books on psychological warfare, and psychology in general. Main reason is, because it is through psychology that they manipulate us.

"be as wise as serpents but as gentle as a dove."
Ridding the World of Ads -South Park

Thoughts ATS?
edit on th2017000000Fridayth000000Fri, 24 Feb 2017 17:01:55 -0600fAmerica/ChicagoFri, 24 Feb 2017 17:01:55 -0600 by SoulSurfer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: SoulSurfer

A diamond is just a rock, too.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

A diamond is just a rock, too.

Love this th

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Did you ever have a pet rock?

Is this why you made this thread? Because they got to you?

No 30 day money back guarantee?

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
It was always inteded as a gag gift.

Nonody was duped.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Nice derail, and shows you did not read the post and made my point.

It would be wise for people to read the whole OP before posting.
edit on th2017000000Fridayth000000Fri, 24 Feb 2017 17:07:26 -0600fAmerica/ChicagoFri, 24 Feb 2017 17:07:26 -0600 by SoulSurfer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I did read your post and it's stupid.

Gullible people? It was a fad that lasted maybe 6 months. 1 million people bought a pet rock, out of hundreds of millions.

This is why I thought maybe this is all just sour grapes on your part.

You also speak as though this is some larger, ptb engineered thing. No it was one man, Gary Dahl.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

so your opinion is that the professional psychologist stating how the mind works, which proves that people are susceptible to manipulation is stupid?

Thank fully, that is only your opinion.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
The Pet Rock was just a gag gift- nothing more. As I recall the next big thing in gag gifts following the Pet Rock was pet Mexican Jumping Beans followed by a major comeback from the conspiracy inspiring Sea Monkeys. They were for the "man/woman who has everything".

I guess they already had Mood Rings!

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Good thread Soul. And that Bill Hicks bit is one of my top Hicks bits.
What you point out is important for all of us to know. That we are being targeted by merchandisers on all fronts, and have been now for a century, going back to the days whey mass production abilities allowed for products to be produced faster than people wanted them. We can look specifically to people like Edward Bernays who was a pioneer in marketing and socal programming. He was the double nephew of Sigmund Freud, that is his mother was Freud's sister and his father was brother to Freud's wife. Little Eddie learned about psychology from one of the early pioneers in the study of the mind and used his knowledge to further the mind control of corporations and helped to turn citizens into consumers.

That pet rock is a good example. I recall it well. But I do not think it was designed as a test program for the elite to see how we would react, but merely just an example of how we react to market techniques. Somebody with a cute idea rode the wave of consumer interest, short lived though it was to millionairehood. This does not mean that the powers that be and all the marketers did not sit up and take notice. I'm sure they did and have done studies on it.

I know I took notice. I recall hearing about the Pet Rock and at first thought it a novel idea. Cute and as they say completely out of the norm. But the whole idea of it being only a rock in packaging and glossy hype and sold for a thousand times its worth scared the crap out of me and helped to 'wake ' me up to the machinations of the whole industry of marketing.

And while you say that some of these connections came to you while reading that SJW glossery, I would like to point out that these techniques are used across the board, by left and right alike. There was a time when advertising was looked at with scorn, but now it seems that everybody is caught up in it. Taking endless pictures of themselves and acting as if there is a camera on them at all times. It seems our consciousness now accepts it as the norm. Good to see that people like Carlin and Hicks both had it pegged for what it is.

I just wish that Hicks were still alive because I would love, just love to have seen him during this last election cycle and on into this new presidency. Wow.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Relevant OP!

Im "above it all"

I dont watch commercials; I dont give MSM the time of day; I dont participate in or view social media; I dont have a naive mind; I do my own research

Essentially, I am not vulnerable - the above is the best way to ensure the security of your own mind, imagination and thoughts.

edit on 5558x6755America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago2 by six67seven because: Yeah, i said it!

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk
The Pet Rock was just a gag gift- nothing more. As I recall the next big thing in gag gifts following the Pet Rock was pet Mexican Jumping Beans followed by a major comeback from the conspiracy inspiring Sea Monkeys. They were for the "man/woman who has everything".

I guess they already had Mood Rings!

I just had to laugh my ass off the other night when I saw a commercial for chia-obama. "Yes, celebrate your patriotism by buying this 'offical' tribute to the presidency''. What a joke, yet worth it I guess to those who make money off of gullibleb old people sitting in arm chairs at home with their checkbooks by their sides.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I have no idea if what you're saying is true but what I do know is that I just purchased a $10 invisible dog leash from Amazon after seeing this thread. THANKS!

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

The pet rock reminds me of bottled water and tooth whitening. Two things no one needs to pay for, but they all of a sudden created a market for something you never needed. I think it is called halitosis marketing (thanks to Listerine which was originally floor cleaner)...create a problem that doesn't exist and then wait for the lemmings to start giving you cash.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

But I do not think it was designed as a test program for the elite to see how we would react, but merely just an example of how we react to market techniques.

the thought of a lab rat in a maze, with groups A's and B's come's to mind...

But the whole idea of it being only a rock in packaging and glossy hype and sold for a thousand times its worth scared the crap out of me and helped to 'wake ' me up to the machinations of the whole industry of marketing.

if you found that enlightening, you might want to also check this out:
eTalks - The Secrets of Food Marketing

edit on th2017000000Fridayth000000Fri, 24 Feb 2017 19:35:30 -0600fAmerica/ChicagoFri, 24 Feb 2017 19:35:30 -0600 by SoulSurfer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
A rock is not always just a rock. I have some rocks worth some money. They were my uncles rock collection, they are not real valuable, but they are worth more than the pet rocks.

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

I never denied that advertising uses such tactics.

Just pointing out that your pet rock idea here is way off the mark.

It is probably actually the worst example you could have given to be honest.

It was a gag and a fad.

You want an example of something a lot more cerebal? How about the Ouija board, what started out as a kids board game is now a means to communicate with ghosts..now that's some manipulative psychological genius right there.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 01:29 AM
link   

The OP has gone way over someone's head. Media manipulation techniques are powerful and real. Repetition, the use of logos and motifs (repeated visuals or pictured), biased language - all serve purpose as tools of manipulation.

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I remember the Pet Rock thing.... Never knew anyone that actually BOUGHT one! Did you?

It was funny at the time precisely because it was absurd. That's all. We all laughed and talked about it, but never ever did I hear anyone have the idea that the rocks were somehow different or special from any other rock. It was assumed it was a joke gift.

I don't know, I'm wondering now.... was that a regional thing? Was there regions of the US which saw those ads differently, and bough those, thinking they were "special rocks"???

I understand the power of marketing tactics...but I think that was a very bad example.
There are probably many better ones to be used.
edit on 25-2-2017 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2017 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: SoulSurfer

so your opinion is that the professional psychologist stating how the mind works, which proves that people are susceptible to manipulation is stupid?

Thank fully, that is only your opinion.

No the Trump phenomenon pretty much proves that .....

And it's on going epoc

Besides that, of course they are meant to manipulate, that's the whole point of advertising, kind of over stating the obvious aren't we?
edit on 2/25/2017 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join