It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You've Got to Lose to Know How to Win - True or False?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I believe this is a complex question. There are some things you can win at without ever losing. An example of that is someone who is a genius at a routinized task such as computer programming. They could create new computer programs for their entire life without ever 'losing' at it.

On the other hand, I believe losing is often a key part of discovering personal truth. When it comes to personal truth, no one else can tell you your truth, and you don't know what it is until you learn it yourself. In my experience, learning personal truth usually requires failure. For example, in order to learn your personal tolerance for spicy food you're probably going to burn your mouth at some point.

Another good example of how this works is studying for exams in school. Some people can do very well without studying much. Most people have to study a lot to do well. Both groups will have to fail along the way in order to figure out which group they're in. The more gifted students will waste time by doing unnecessary studying, and the slower learners sometimes won't study enough out of arrogance or laziness.
edit on 23-2-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 01:34 AM
link   
You have to fail to learn the value of success, no one wins lucky constantly, no one suceeds in their achievements all the time, without first learning some lessons
Maybe that wasnt your question though

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
On the other hand, I believe losing is often a key part of discovering personal truth.

Its a shame that the globalists do not understand this wise deduction.

When they lose, they throw the entire Monopoly board up in the air so there is no way of knowing who won.

When the LuzerFuhrerian globalists lose, they turn Planet Earth into another asteroid belt because they are unwilling to discover the truth that they are all sour loozers.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Many different areas hold examples of never losing. Many boxers, mma fighters. Olympic wrestlers.
Perhaps you need to lose to understand how to win graciously. Or to see the true value in a victory, but that is not a need

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tristran

On the other hand, I believe losing is often a key part of discovering personal truth.

Its a shame that the globalists do not understand this wise deduction.

When they lose, they throw the entire Monopoly board up in the air so there is no way of knowing who won.

When the LuzerFuhrerian globalists lose, they turn Planet Earth into another asteroid belt because they are unwilling to discover the truth that they are all sour loozers.

It seems to me that the globalists (for lack of a better term) have a hive mind with no independent thinking or action to speak of. How does personal truth come into that?

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThoughtIsMadness

Many different areas hold examples of never losing. Many boxers, mma fighters. Olympic wrestlers.
Perhaps you need to lose to understand how to win graciously. Or to see the true value in a victory, but that is not a need

They lost a lot along the way before you saw them, I guarantee it.

You don't simply be born a winner. Unless you are born into wealth, and even that is not a virtue.

You become good by failure, and learning.

In my case... this song sums me up fairly well and many I know will agree..

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:05 AM
link   

I believe this is a complex question. There are some things you can win at without ever losing. An example of that is someone who is a genius at a routinized task such as computer programming. They could create new computer programs for their entire life without ever 'losing' at it.

If you're not putting yourself at real risk of losing, then you're not winning, you're just "doing".

I don't "win" every time I make a cup of tea, because my ability and experience with the task is such that the risk of failure is low enough to essentially be non-existent. The same applies to writing awesome posts on ATS.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:29 AM
link   

You've Got to Lose to Know How to Win

'Winning' and 'losing' are two sides of the same One Coin!
They are two opposite perspectives of One Thought!
You cannot possibly deal in one without dealing in the other!

'Failure' are the first rungs on the ladder of 'success'!
Every 'failure' is a 'success', we learn from it!
Every 'loss' is a 'win', and vice versa.
That is why people who think that 'evil' can be 'eradicated' are either quite ignorant, or insane.
Can't dump 'evil' (exists in the mind of the beholder, anyway) without dumping 'good', also.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 05:26 AM
link   
True and false, because you do not have to even take part of that game to learn truth.
In my views truth is really simple, so simple that we often miss it because of it and we can go playing games for whole lifes before we get back to simple truth.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Well, it has always been my belief that you have to win to understand loss, and you have to lose to appreciate winning. So, it's kind of both.

"Truth" is neither a function of winning nor losing, but rather an acknowledgement of reality.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 06:28 AM
link   
If all you ever did was lose you would never understand winning... Although through losses you may gain the experience and knowledge required to win..
This has nothing to do with truth... For the truth of losses or wins could only correspond to the relevance of one or the other for they are not the same...

The truth is if you believe you have to lose to win you are lying to yourself... Tis persistence which is the key to success...

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 06:30 AM
link   

You can win without ever having lost. But winning with grace and humility is a lesson better taught be defeat than victory.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I think some folks are confusing the meaning(s) of "truth" and "enlightenment".

ETA: And I guess I would add; this is one of the major problems with society today, people's inability to distinguish between the merits of enlightenment versus the realities of truth. Believing they are the same predisposes one to a life of neither.

edit on 2/23/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

You have to fail to learn the value of success

This sounds better than 'you have to loose to know how to win'.

Winning and loosing depending on the activity is not something that is known.

winning and loosing are concepts based on competing, you might know what actions are required to win or loose however so does the competition.

The knowledge of the value of failure or success is what is gained by competing.

One might not understand the value of loss unless they have won and vice versa.

Flyingclaydisk says it in a simple but clear way close to the bottom of page 1

Well, it has always been my belief that you have to win to understand loss, and you have to lose to appreciate winning. So, it's kind of both.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   
It isn't about winning or losing.

It's about balance.

You can't appreciate success if you don't have any idea what it is to fail...You can't appreciate left until you actually understand what right is...dark/light...up/down...wet/dry...

ETC...

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: InhaleExhale

You have to fail to learn the value of success

This sounds better than 'you have to loose to know how to win'.

Winning and loosing depending on the activity is not something that is known.

winning and loosing are concepts based on competing, you might know what actions are required to win or loose however so does the competition.

The knowledge of the value of failure or success is what is gained by competing.

One might not understand the value of loss unless they have won and vice versa.

Flyingclaydisk says it in a simple but clear way close to the bottom of page 1

Yeah but nuh
You have to have lose everything to know that nothing is worth wining, it's not about winning, it's about learning to win when you didn't win

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   

It's about wanting what you have, and realizing that wanting what you don't have isn't the same as needing what you don't have, because if you don't have what you need you are likely dead, and then it doesn't mean anything anyway.

To sum it all up, it is all pretty much meaningless.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

There is a concensus of opinion that we learn from mistakes and we get it right the next time. Basically , we learn as we go.

However, I believe we should not accept that situation. It is a defeatist attitude. We have the ability to win wIn all the time. Losing is only evidence that our will faltered . Why does it falter ? it is because, through ourselves or our peers , we have learned to embrace losing. Basically, we have learnt to lose when we should have learnt only to win.

join