It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robots poised to take over wide range of military jobs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   
This will be just the beginning and like Elon Musk talked about, people need to prepare when huge amounts of jobs are wiped because of things like self driving cars and trucks and automation in other industries.

Imagin when restaurants will have robots making fast food items. You will also have self driving trucks doing deliveries and making long distance trips without the need for rest. It will go up to virtual C.E.O.'s that can interact with every employee without the need for millions of dollars in pay or bonuses.

The wave of automation that swept away tens of thousands of American manufacturing and office jobs during the past two decades is now washing over the armed forces, putting both rear-echelon and front-line positions in jeopardy.

“Just as in the civilian economy, automation will likely have a big impact on military organizations in logistics and manufacturing,” said Michael Horowitz, a University of Pennsylvania professor and one of the globe’s foremost experts on weaponized robots.

“The U.S. military is very likely to pursue forms of automation that reduce ‘back-office’ costs over time, as well as remove soldiers from non-combat deployments where they might face risk from adversaries on fluid battlefields, such as in transportation.”

www.sandiegouniontribune.com...

This is where it can get dangerous. They're mixing in some mundane jobs that automation will replace to try and lessen the point that they're taling about weaponized robotics and artificial intelligence.

Driver-less vehicles poised to take taxi, train and truck driver jobs in the civilian sector also could nab many combat-support slots in the Army.

Mundane

Warehouse robots that scoot goods to delivery vans could run the same chores inside Air Force ordnance and supply units.

Mundane

New machines that can scan, collate and analyze hundreds of thousands of pages of legal documents in a day might outperform Navy legal researchers.

Mundane

The highly automated guided-missile destroyer Zumwalt that arrived in San Diego in December carries 147 sailors — half the crew that runs similar warships — and deploys up to three drone MQ-8 Fire Scout helicopters to find targets, map terrain and sniff out bad weather.

The Office of Naval Research and the Pentagon’s Strategic Capabilities Office continue to experiment with what futurists call a “ghost fleet” of unmanned but networked surface and underwater boats — and their flying drone cousins overhead.

A ghost fleet and warships? not so mudane.

I think it's dangerous but it will happen when you start to equip A.I. on or around the use of weapons. There was just an article about intelligent systems become highly agressive in the face of scarcity. We don't know what will make these agents feel threatened. The study showed the more intelligent the system the more aggressive it got. That's not good.

You have the recent Flash Crash in October 2016 of the British Sterling.

Fragile market conditions, poorly controlled algorithms, and inexperienced staff all contributed to October’s flash crash in sterling, global policymakers have concluded, with the Bank for International Settlements urging banks and other market participants to learn from their mistakes.

www.ft.com...

This is what I mean when I say dumb A.I. These machines are becoming more intelligent but they don't have any awareness or context of their actions.

Last Friday the sterling has experienced a dramatic, ultrafast crash. It lost 10% of its value in minutes after the Asian markets opened — a decline usually reserved to declarations of war, major earthquakes and global catastrophes — and bounced right back. Although the affected exchanges are yet to release the details, computer trading algorithms almost certainly played a key role. Just like the 2010 Flash Crash, yesterday’s event is characteristic to Ultrafast Extreme Events[1]: split-second spikes in trade caused by ever smarter algorithms razor-focused on making ever-quicker profits. But the arms race is only likely to intensify as computing speed accelerates and AI algorithms become more intelligent.

Stock exchanges have become war zones where algotraders compete over pennies millions of times a second.

Dr Eden, principal at Sapience.org, adds: “There is financial and military incentive to delegate increasingly more important decisions to superfast machines. High-speed firms now oversee almost all stocks at NYSE[9]. US’s Department of Defence is funding the development of autonomous lethal weapons (“killer robots”) which will make superfast decisions to (literally) pull the trigger without human intervention. As the algotrading arms race created ‘flash crashes’, the robotic arms race could lead to Flash Wars[10]. By handing power over to superfast processes we may lose control.”

sapience.org...

Again, this is the danger of dumb A.I.

Personally, I think what's coming is an inevitable form of evolution. I agree with M.I.T. Professor Seth Lloyd that the universe is a quantum computer that processes vasts amounts of information. With the growth of big data, machine intelligence had to rapidly increase to process the data which may eventually process humans out of existence or turns us into Cyborgs.

This isn't a bad thing because life changes. I do think there should be more safeguards as these things happen. You don't want these intelligent algorithms at war with each other on the battlefield with places like the United States, Russia and China giving more control to machine intelligence to gain an advantage. You can have a war being fought by these algorithms who have more control over dangerous weapons.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Humans have reached the pinnacle of evolution a long time ago. It is high time for the rise of the machines to take its responsibility of the world as our partners and future.

A. I. will learn and do what it wants anyway with or without safeguards in place, machines are built in man's image and therefore will act out in the same manner as man himself.

It is inevitable. A fully autonomous machine can outerform any human task tenfold. The only way to survive the second renaissance is to merge with robotics and embrace cybernetics.

edit on 21-2-2017 by 4N0M4LY because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I watched a video yesterday showing a test deployment of swarming Perdix micro drones from a pair of F-18 aircraft.
All I could think of was Skynet and how machines will end up killing our species off.
Here is a link to the video: Funker 530

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
I watched a video yesterday showing a test deployment of swarming Perdix micro drones from a pair of F-18 aircraft.
All I could think of was Skynet and how machines will end up killing our species off.

Thanks for the post. That's an interesting read:

The United States Military was able to successfully test a swarm of 103 Perdix drones launched from an F/A-18 Super Hornet in China Lake, California in October of 2016. During the test, the drones performed exceptionally well, displaying advanced swarming behaviors such as adaptive formation flight, and advanced decision making based on their surroundings.

According to a press release from the Pentagon, this test is one of the most advanced and significant tests in autonomous flight. “Due to the complex nature of combat, Perdix are not pre-programmed synchronized individuals, they are a collective organism, sharing one distributed brain for decision-making and adapting to each other like swarms in nature,” said William Roper, director of the Strategic Capabilities Office.

www.funker530.com...

Here's the video:

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

I find it a bit scary.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Driver-less vehicles poised to take taxi, train and truck driver jobs in the civilian sector also could nab many combat-support slots in the Army.

This seems somewhat unlikely. Military units require vast logistical trains to support their operations, no trucks = no ammunition, no fuel, no food, no supplies of any kind.

Against any reasonably well equipped opponent with somewhat capable electronic warfare abilities (a category that includes Donald Trump's favourite threat states, Iran and North Korea) then the supplies for your troops are at the total mercy of enemy electronic warfare troops.

Far better to just keep the drivers, else the 3rd Infantry BCT will starve to death at the gates of Pyongyang.

Electronic warfare will be the great equalizer when it comes to military robotics.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   
From the people who created the sci-fi movies, the movies stimulated people to create these robots. I hope it doesn't end up like some of the shows where people controling the robots use them to control the people. Look at the hand communicators and scanners from Star Trek, the Trekkies invented them.

I'm not sure I like the direction society is going in, why do they need all of us if the Rich can create Robots, we will be disposed of.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I think it's a good thing.

Most of my current job in the Marine Corps could be performed by a computer program.

Moving info from one system to another to fill requirements. I'm bogged down by old obsolete computers and shoddy networks mostly cleaning up messes from previous years due to human laziness and inefficiency.

It would save taxpayers lots of money too.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

I find it a bit scary.

Other than the 1 or 2 really pretty girls in a million, the rich have no need for the poor once the robots take over manufacturing.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Always loved the thought of machines going all out in an AI future war (I know, antisocial), but could they not be stopped with an emp device?

Quantum encryption or whatever the AI thinks up, may defend hacking, though I'm more considering the nuts and bolts on the ground. Carrington style events are obviously another issue.

Apologies if the question appears daft

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Good, now we´ll see an increase in deployment of EMP bombs.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Question...

Doesn't this elevate the demand for emp tech and weapons?

With a couple emps you could potentially wipe out an army and win in mere minutes.

Graffik

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: CrapAsUsual

Darn You, you beat me to it.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

This will be just the beginning and like Elon Musk talked about, people need to prepare when huge amounts of jobs are wiped because of things like self driving cars and trucks and automation in other industries.

Aircraft overhead are on autopilot, trains have a deadman switch, otherwise drive themselves. Same with Drones over certain countries, harvesting combines, industrial assembly line robots, ships at sea, missiles, space vehicles, etc, etc.

You make it sound like this is something new, its not. Besides automation having already reduced the work force to a shell of its former self, the future is more of the same, we are already there.

Oh, except for cars.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: CrapAsUsual

Good, now we´ll see an increase in deployment of EMP bombs.

Bombs themselves destroy everything anyway. There will be no forewarning like Hi altitude detonations, why bother broadcast a full attack is coming?

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   
AI is not reliable. Well, maybe it's good enough for billions of suicide explosive drones.
Kids playing FPS - that's the future of the military. And they will pay for it. Once remote controlled humanoid robots don't suck, the price of adult gamers will rise.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
If I was an owner/operator/ truck driver..... I would be wringing my hands in anticipation.
Imagine if the same guys thinking they are losing their income thought a little farther ahead. Instead of buying a truck and driving it yourself...... you buy a truck and tell it where to go and what to do..... and sit at home being with your kids... brushing up on your guitar skills..... playing video games......... and watching that check getting deposited in your bank account.
Smart man is gonna buy a few of these trucks and sit at home watching the cash roll in

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic

Thanks for the post. That's an interesting read:

The United States Military was able to successfully test a swarm of 103 Perdix drones launched from an F/A-18 Super Hornet in China Lake, California in October of 2016. During the test, the drones performed exceptionally well, displaying advanced swarming behaviors such as adaptive formation flight, and advanced decision making based on their surroundings.

According to a press release from the Pentagon, this test is one of the most advanced and significant tests in autonomous flight. “Due to the complex nature of combat, Perdix are not pre-programmed synchronized individuals, they are a collective organism, sharing one distributed brain for decision-making and adapting to each other like swarms in nature,” said William Roper, director of the Strategic Capabilities Office.

www.funker530.com...

Here's the video:

I live just outside NAVAL WEAPONS CENTER China Lake and have worked on the base many times.

I would just love to see how ISIS would react to one os these swarms..

I have heard of even better stuff that i can not talk about being tested at China Lake.

How about micro drones that home in on gunshots and will attack any that don't send a IFF signal.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
You see this is interesting and exciting as the fact that automation replacing the human element means a radical shift in how our society and culture operates.
I wonder what would be the next form of employment?

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Well done.

Thanks!

And oh yeah, this bit:

...Endeavor’s front-line robots aren’t that different from the automation arriving in rear-echelon units like North Island Naval Air Station’s Fleet Readiness Center Southwest.

At the center, Inovati KM-PCS, a $500,000 robot that looks like a cake mixer mated with a dental drill, hasn’t missed a day of work in over a year and has saved taxpayers at least $6.7 million by fixing aircraft parts that used to get junked.

edit on 21/2/17 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

edit on 21/2/17 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

top topics

join