It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Death of Common Sense

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: everyone

Interesting point, but we both know that the numbers of alcohol-related deaths are high also.

Oh yes definitely and it is good that you brought that up actually. I also think it is a bit hypocritical to have legal alcohol and Tabasco. Alcohol abuse is a lot more devastating then most people realize (there is that lack of common sense) Physically it is more destructive to the human body then heroine even, but then most heroine users die because of related issues or a OD.

I would say ban that as well together with tobacco. But, then again, i do think people should have some legal way of a bit of RR in that sense. Alcohol can be addictive but it can take months before it becomes a physical addiction while things like heroine and crack are very addictive after the first time already, there are no warning signs or time to contemplate the consequences after you done it for the first time to change your mind or have others help you see the warning signs if you get what i mean.

So sure, let at least something like alcohol remain. In small doses every now and then it is safe enough and no more dangerous then going to burger king every once in a while. Tobacco however i will not understand since they are banning its use from just about everywhere and constantly tell people it is bad to the point that it is frowned upon but they still allow the sales of it. Because of taxes earned on it and it being a very big businessmen i assume.

So we got cannabis and alcohol being legal and tobacco. What more do we really need i wonder? Do we really need legal heroine and crack or bath salts en just trust on people's commons sense? How much common sense are we really seeing out there? In my opinion not to much.

Hmmm you got me thinking now. Natural selection and all >
. Let IT sort it all out!? I could see the sense in that actually , bad as it sounds ^^

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: IAMTAT
It's time for your tapioca and diaper change, Augustus.

Use the good lotion, I don't want to chafe.

I thought that's what the tapioca was for.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
This is a mighty agreeable topic.

Here's a video that will probably gel with your line of thinking. I disagree with Mr Watts on many things but this isn't one of them.

Alan always had a way of pointing out the glaring hypocrisy of a society going insane. In the video (audio) I have given Alan talks about societies double standard towards drugs and philosophies about the prevention of further harm to the human experience.
edit on 11/10/2012 by Joneselius because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

You nailed it. Tobacco is the perfect sin tax substance. It's as addictive as the hard drugs, but it's a much slower killer and impairs you much less in your ability to perform.

So basically, you tell people how awful it is and create the forbidden fruit. Then people try it and get hopelessly hooked on it and are stuck with their addictions for decades. Meanwhile, you tax the ever-living p*** out of them and they are mostly powerless to do much about it because it's such a hard habit to kick.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: IAMTAT
We should continue to leave common sense issues like this to 'The Court of Darwin'.
What's next?---Is driving nails into 2x4s, using your forehead going to become illegal?

They are working their way through the schools and contact sports right now.

So far, they are trying to outlaw football, and I just heard that the first study was done showing that soccer players suffer from head trauma-related dimensia, so I guess neither football is safe and we better ban them. They don't let kids play dodgeball or tag because they are too aggressive, and there are actual clinics and camps parents in some places pay for so their kids can unstructured free play. So I guess that's been outlawed for safety's sake too. Kids can't walk outside on their own ...

Yep, I'd say they're rapidly working up to making parenting illegal.

Also a good point to raise

That is the state taking ownership of the children. Common sense, to me anyway would say no to all of that. Common sense would be to leave those choices to the parents and the kids. Accidents happen yes but we learn from our mistakes just as we learn from our losses (more so then our wins) which is why they should stop giving everyone a trophy.

Common sense to me is reasonable and understandable limits. Letting kids go bungy jumping - no dumb idea. Let them play voleyball with the risk that they might get the ball on their head - yes of course ! Unless a parent disagrees maybe.

Having the state dictate as much as the examples you gave goes way beyond common sense imo.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I always thought common sense was common.....then youtube happened.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

More laws fuel the Prison Industrial Complex ...Driving a car can be addictive and can cause harm to others ...just sayin

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

You nailed it. Tobacco is the perfect sin tax substance. It's as addictive as the hard drugs, but it's a much slower killer and impairs you much less in your ability to perform.

So basically, you tell people how awful it is and create the forbidden fruit. Then people try it and get hopelessly hooked on it and are stuck with their addictions for decades. Meanwhile, you tax the ever-living p*** out of them and they are mostly powerless to do much about it because it's such a hard habit to kick.

Exactly and you are very correct in saying it is just as addictive. It has been shown to be as if not more addictive then heroine, it takes a bit longer to become addictive but once it takes it done. I have seen Heroine junkies explain how it was harder to quite smoking then to come clean from heroine. And i understand that the gov is collecting on taxes on smoking but what i dont understand is that they demonetize and ban it so much at the same time. I suspect it is for some reasonable deniability maybe but it remains to be strange and hypocritical of course.

At least with alchohol people are having the perk of having a comfy night out and it does help unload stress every now and then and if used here it comes ...with common sense

Tobacco not so much. Once you start smoking it lowers [that chem. in your brain , dont remember the name] and you need to keep smoking regularly just to feel normal. It does not add to your enjoyment other then feeling your brain go back to its normal state where it should have been to begin with if you didn't smoke. It also does not reduce stress that is a myth. In fact it does the opposite because tobacco is loaded with Q10 and multiple times more effective in heightening stress levels then caffeine is.

Their are definitely amazingly strong arguments to ban tobacco. So we got alcohol and cannabis left, sounds sufficient to entertain us without wrecking our lives with perse i would say.

Anyone else have a few good contenders for legal soft drugs that could be added to that?

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kukri
I always thought common sense was common.....then youtube happened.

I LOLLED !

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
What I find interesting is that the government has determined that suicide is legal in some states.

But you still can't smoke pot or you can get fined for not wearing a seatbelt.

So "no" to pot, demand that you wear a seatbelt, but you can off yourself.

0_o

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Yeah thats exactly what it is .. lack of f*ing common sense.

Thank you for your time.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I know, that's screwed up. These people shouldn't be involved with running the country.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

I think the difference between suicide and drugs (hard drugs) is that drugs is often epidemic in many ways. It will even introduce crime if made legal. People who use hard drugs will stop functioning well enough physically and socially, lose their jobs but the need for their drugs remains. They infect others with it and most easily the young. They stop taking care of themselves and their environment which also affects others and they even stop taking care of their children. No one can put the responsibility of common sense on young children who's parent chose to use hard drugs. It is not as if just because it became legal that their will all of a sudden be responsible crack junkies.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Ah..another thread questioning the government I see. I'll just point out that without government common sense the people of Guam would likely have drowned long ago. It was saved from capsizing because of government. Just remember that.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Exactly! That's why only alcohol is legal! Nothing like that happens because of alcohol

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Arizonaguy

Ha xD

I see what you did there !

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

President Trump's administration already exhibits the common sense approach that you're advocating. The money seized during drug-related arrests will go a long way toward funding Trump Wall, if he wants to use it for that.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

I think the difference between suicide and drugs (hard drugs) is that drugs is often epidemic in many ways. It will even introduce crime if made legal. People who use hard drugs will stop functioning well enough physically and socially, lose their jobs but the need for their drugs remains. They infect others with it and most easily the young. They stop taking care of themselves and their environment which also affects others and they even stop taking care of their children. No one can put the responsibility of common sense on young children who's parent chose to use hard drugs. It is not as if just because it became legal that their will all of a sudden be responsible crack junkies.

Should parents drink or smoke?

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Arizonaguy

It is not as if those sort of things do not happen with alcohol as i stated earlier already. Those things do happen but it happens less and is a lot easier to treat and to get away from. Once you do something like heroine or crack once its over, a done deal, you are hooked and locked in in a bad way.Accept for rare instances maybe and the effects of the habbit socially and physically rears its ugly head way faster and harder. People have no time to think about what they are doing once they fell for it just once. I really do not see how hard drugs like that is comparable to alcohol.

You can't just say on 1 weekend out "hmm i feel like some heroine tonight, i have not done that for a whole month or 2 now".

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Common sense would also dictate that if you did do drugs, you run the chance of becoming addicted and causing yourself harm.

But in both cases, the person you are harming is just yourself.

I have to disagree that the drug user is hurting only themselves.
They obviously hurt themselves...but the damage and pain their drug use inflicts upon family members that love them, is incalculable.

Having a step-son battling heroin addiction (over the course of many years)...in and out of treatment...in and out of court...has not only cost us many MANY thousands of dollars...but has made his mother's life a stress-laden, living hell!

She knows that one day he will probably die from an OD...because treatment almost never works.

Addiction causes addicts to be completely selfish in getting their fix.
As a result, families are destroyed because of their mindless pursuit.

My suggestion?
MORE and much stronger drug laws aimed at producers, smugglers and dealers.

If a kid ODs on heroin...Murder charges for the dealer that sold it to him.
edit on 19-2-2017 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join