It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US aircraft carrier and supporting warships Begin Patrols in South China Sea

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   
The aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson and its support fleet have started what the US government call "routine operations" in the South China Sea to challenge China's claims of sovereignty in the area , the move comes after US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson told senators at his confirmation that China should be prevented from reaching the disputed Spratly Islands.

How the carrier group plan to stop the Chinese reaching their artificially created islands remains to be seen but the move is sure to highten tensions between Beijing and Washington.

In a move likely to stoke the ire of Beijing, the U.S. Navy’s Carrier Strike Group 1, which includes the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson, began what the navy called “routine operations” in the contested South China Sea on Saturday.
Beijing had warned Washington last week not to challenge its sovereignty in the strategic waterway amid reports that the U.S. Navy was gearing up to sail more warships near China’s man-made islands in the contested waters.

Ahead of their operations in the South China Sea, ships and aircraft from the strike group conducted training off Hawaii and Guam “to maintain and improve their readiness and develop cohesion as a strike group,” the navy said in a statement, adding that the group had recently wrapped up operations in the Philippine Sea.
“The training completed over the past few weeks has really brought the team together and improved our effectiveness and readiness as a strike group,” strike group commander Rear Adm. James Kilby said. “We are looking forward to demonstrating those capabilities while building upon existing strong relationships with our allies, partners and friends in the Indo-Asia-Pacific region.”

Nick Bisley, a professor of international relations at La Trobe University in Australia, said sending the Vinson group into the waters was likely a “gentle ramp up” from what the U.S. Pacific Command “has been wanting to do for a while.” Bisley said he expected Washington to gauge the Chinese response and then conduct a more beefed up freedom of navigation operation. China is “trying to keep things from roiling at present but if they feel embarrassed,” they will ramp up, he added.
www.japantimes.co.jp...

I'm sure there's nothing to worry about , unless there is.

edit on 19-2-2017 by gortex because: Edit to add video.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:09 AM
link   
this is it, the start of WW3. See China's own maps, they put the entire area of South China Sea within their own borders.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Governance over any manmade island shouldn't include anyone but its creators, unless somehow such a creation is infringing upon others (perhaps). I speak this with emphasis on support of the notion of "micro-nations".

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Sooo...

No more war mongering, no more wannabe world police(but being in reality the destroyer of whole regions of our earth, including creating refugee streams that hit others then) under the Orange One?

I guess that´s needed to save the enraged, concerned and left behind ´citizens, the "I am not an Nazi, but it must be allowed to say"´s. Like all the other things that lunatic orange one does.

I can´t wait to see Trumpists turn this into somethin positive for the concerned, enraged and left behind citizens.
What will they say, that it creates jobs? At the army and at the military industrial complex. The next thing that reminds me to Hitler Deutschland in it´s beginning, seeing what happens to the former US of A.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

That's what China did. They claimed the territory of other nations and then created islands in an area that does not belong to them to steal the territory. There is even a ruling against China already, which China said they are ignoring.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

The "left" aren't merely "the left" anymore. Instead, they're the "left behind". Did that status begin election day, or was it Jan. 20th, or perhaps it was Jan. 31st? I'm confused on the details here!

edit on 19-2-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Those promised jobs for trump supporters?

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

The "left" aren't merely "the left" anymore. Instead, they're the "left behind".

and the right aren't right anymore, they're the Wrong.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: DerBeobachter
Sooo...

I guess that´s needed to save the enraged, concerned and left behind ´citizens, the "I am not an Nazi, but it must be allowed to say"´s. Like all the other things that lunatic orange one does.

There we go again. You had to say "Nazi".

I'm related to people who fought Nazis in Europe, Trump is not Nazi. If he were Nazi, you'll be tracked down by now and arrested. But you won't, you still have your freedom of speech.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Taggart

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

The "left" aren't merely "the left" anymore. Instead, they're the "left behind".

and the right aren't right anymore, they're the Wrong.

So keeping jobs in America is wrong? I know Der Fuhrer Obama said it can't be done .. but not all of us agree.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Obviously china was ignorant of the fact that all of this wouldn't cause any problems when they decided to claim the entire south china sea as their own...

Nope business as usual. It's everyone else that is wrong and lying about how it's illegal to claim that much space.

Stupid logic=stupid logic..

Surely this won't create any conflict at all. Nope. WW3? Not a chance in hell.
edit on 19-2-2017 by 4N0M4LY because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   
shouldnt the question be: should China be allowed to steal territory that doesnt belong to them and then create fortifications in those areas to control who gets to come and go as well as defend against a possible embargo or outright attack?

where is the law and order on this issue and does the US have a responsibility to hold China accountable for its illegal territorial expansion?

I personally would not be spending my energy on this issue if were Trump but as far as the law is concerned does he not have an obligation to call out China for illegal land/sea grabs?

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: tribal
shouldnt the question be: should China be allowed to steal territory that doesnt belong to them and then create fortifications in those areas to control who gets to come and go as well as defend against a possible embargo or outright attack?

where is the law and order on this issue and does the US have a responsibility to hold China accountable for its illegal territorial expansion?

I personally would not be spending my energy on this issue if were Trump but as far as the law is concerned does he not have an obligation to call out China for illegal land/sea grabs?

China is determined to do whatever they want anyway? Who is going to stop them? You do realize it is now at the point that China is willing to go to full scale war to protect what they have now.

U.S. can't do it alone in stopping China, it has to be a recognized united world resolution.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: 4N0M4LY

if what they are doing is illegal then the US should register a formal complaint in the G8 and or UN and make it a global issue, shine a light on it.

I personally dont think its worth going to war over. There are many other ways to more sneakily punish China if thats what Trump wants to do.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   

They knew Obama was too weak to stop them, and after so many years of free reign it is almost impossible to undo the damage.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Chin's neighbors (Japan, SKorea, Philippines) are afraid. if we don't go through and show the flag Chin will conclude that they can do what they want and take what they like and no one will stop them.

USA is not the bully here, we're the ones standing up to the bully.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: tribal

if what they are doing is illegal then the US should register a formal complaint in the G8 and or UN and make it a global issue, shine a light on it.

I personally dont think its worth going to war over. There are many other ways to more sneakily punish China if thats what Trump wants to do.

It already went to court at The Hague. China lost. They were found to be in violation of The UN Convention on the Law of the Sea. They said they don't care.
www.nytimes.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: tribal

A complaint was already made several times lol. Even by the countries near the south china sea. China refuses to acknowledge the claims or the fact of what they did was illegal.

Impose sanctions? Embargo? Whatever anyone is scared to do is not helping the situation. The U.N. is so busy focused on the Russian incursions they don't even have a clue of what is going on in the pacific.

We can't just punish China economically or financially because the U.S. economy is tied into theirs. China knows they have the upper hand.

It's like two trains on the same track going 100mph right into each other and both train conductors are saying full steam ahead.

All I do have to say is I'm glad I don't live on the west coast right now. I'd be packing my bags right now and getting out of harms way.

Even the china daily, "Chinas propaganda machine" was making cases of where the best places to nuke the west coast if an armed conflict broke out.

www.dailystar.co.uk... e=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-star-latest-news+%28Daily+Star+%3A%3A+News+Feed%29

take it with a grain of salt but concerning nonetheless
edit on 19-2-2017 by 4N0M4LY because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   

What should have been done was to start getting companies out of China and into other markets. Trump has some balls so hopefully he does something.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

The problem is China holds $1.05 trillion of US debt , nearly 30% of US national debt , pulling companies out of China would do little compared to the hold China have on the US.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join