It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed 14

page: 93
<< 90  91  92    94  95  96 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

Ice cold beer sitttin' in the console?

Be careful and be good and if ya can't be good..be good at it!

And, if you do all of that, video tape it for us.

((hugs))

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird
Oh yeah! Why else would they give you a cup holder!?!?
OK guys headed home...let's do this!

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Hello Shedisans!

Shepherd survived the plague! Feeling much better now.

*Shep wrestles a donut from a stubborn ram*

GoShredAK - excellent news, my friend. I'm glad to hear things are going so well!

Hello to zosimov and knowledgehunter0986, I bid you both a hearty Shepherd's welcome to the realm known as the Shed.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Ooh, I missed some people! Okay, starting with Marty...
My outing was like lunch-bag letdown, to be honest. Although it's freezing, blowing and snowing...not that much has accumulated on the ground (a couple of inches). The main roads were clear and I really didn't need to wear the helmet (but it kinda matched my coat).

Shred...Hmm, have you guys looked into 'the code facility' rules & regulations yet?
If so, do the same rules apply if you sell from home? Is that even a possibility?
Or, do you know someone who does have an approved facility (even just a small area in it) that your wife could use?
Last idea...can she sell it online? Or...do you know anyone anywhere that you could ship it to for distribution?
(Sorry for all the questions but this type of product is extremely popular around here and those who started getting into the truly healthy pure food/beverages are developing healthy businesses in a short period of time!)

Chirp/Bird/Thelma...Purty flowers gurl. (you been smoking 'em?)

(Ah, I'm kidding...it's nice to see you and I will happily join you in your happy place.)
Feeling a little loopy here too. Need to laugh and blow off some angst, haha. Don't worry, I'll find another thread to angst in.

Shep...So glad you survived the plague! I wonder if that's what Gordi just had...? I know you guys can get "Man Flu" pretty bad. (I mean, it must be bad...it's got it's own meme, hehe...)

Ugh, I've resorted to taking cheap shots...shouldn't laugh, I was sick not that long ago.
Good to know you've got another chapter on the way. I think I've caught up on the short stories (all so good!) and could use a new distraction.

*waving at lurkers* (As soon as I know the coast is clear, I'll toss some more donuts out to you!)
Hello to everybody else! Off to see what I've missed.
jacy

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Popping in here late and haven't read any comments yet, so...Hello! Lots of snow outside my window from what I can see. We have a blizzard warning until around 8pm. Could get 12 to 18 inches. So depressing! Hubby and I were cooking together which is a rare thing. I enjoyed it. LOL!

Ok off to see what I missed. Be back soon.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Shred, such inspiring posts! I have anxiety and depression too, but never bad like having an anxiety attack. Still, I need meds as I worry and stress more than 'normal' folks. LOL! I can't take anything for depression because it makes me feel like a zombie and I have enough side affects from all the other crap I'm on. It isn't too bad though and once Spring finally arrives, it will hopefully improve.

Gordi, you mentioned cabbage. Hubby and I just made kielbasa cabbage soup with potatoes in a chicken broth. Need some snow? I have too much.

Lag, hello my French bunny friend!

Jess, lucky you! I don't how much snow we'll end up with just yet, but it sounds like a LOT. Love the rainbow words in your pic

Hunter, Ahahaha, loved your 'unicorn' pic!

Jacy, loved all your pics! The one with the snowman and fox was my favorite!!!!!

Chirp, I'm joining you in your Spring time place! Awesome pics!

Hello Shep! Hope you, Mrs. Shep and all the Sheperditos are well today!

Anyone affected by the storm, stay safe! Follow along to Chirp's Spring time place. Start here...

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

I think maybe Mrs. Shepherd has the virulent epidemic I had. I'll bring her chocolate when I go home. And wine. That should help, right?

So, it sounded like Sir Errollorre of the Palindromes was attempting to organize a collaboration? PrairieShepherd is in, if that is the case. If you guys will have me, of course.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
My my, a nearly 30-page absence. Well, here is an episode of Gaalen's story. Chirp asked if the story has a title other than "Shep's Shed Story". The answer is that it has two working titles. The first is Exile. The second, and the one that I favor, is Falling. That title will take on a greater significance at a point in the future.

As it has been a while, to recap: Avaanse, the capital, has just been attacked by gith-gesaarm, which are large, feathered, reptilian flying creatures with venomous barbs on their tails and vicious claws. Several crashed through the windows during a command performance for the Queen, and many were killed.

Link to all my story posts in Sheds 11, 12 and 13
(Shed 14) Page 6 - The Cipher
(Shed 14) Page 20 - Kaena Returns
(Shed 14) Page 29 - As Good as a Death Sentence
(Shed 14) Page 32 - A Vow by the Lake
(Shed 14) Page 38 - A Bottle of Ink
(Shed 14) Page 41 - Kaena's Mistake
(Shed 14) Page 54 - A Command Performance
(Shed 14) Page 55 - A Cautious Offer
(Shed 14) Page 59 - The Water Drummer
(Shed 14) Page 65 - Regret

Today's episode: A Limit of the Gift

Elder Poliara walked determinedly toward the Seeress Meron, her face stern. They spoke briefly in low voices, with Poliara wagging a finger at her emphatically. When the short conversation was over, the slender woman looked crestfallen. She turned and began moving from body to body, laying two fingers on the necks of those who were possibly still alive, but each time shaking her head. Her robes were now more red than white, but she still kept on, seeming to take no notice of the blood she knelt in next to each body.

He went to her as she knelt down by another – one of the male performers, still alive, though not for long. Gaalen was certain he would bleed out from a deep gash that, judging by the blood, had opened an artery.

Izak maz ketak? Izak maz atha? Tekan, tekan!

Jen keoluto, udi. Ketak man gessa,” the Seeress replied to Gaalen’s shock. She placed a hand on his head and closed her eyes for a moment. The man relaxed and closed his eyes, then she stood.

“What did you do, Seeress?”

“I reassured him and numbed his pain. He will die shortly, and there is nothing I can do to stop it.” Her tone had an edge to it, an icy anger. Gaalen thought he understood.

“How do you know Hundali?”

“I spent time there, once, as an Aomman missionary before I was conferred. They are a beautiful people,” she said, then stopped. “I almost…” she was interrupted as a cry rose from the end of the room. She turned abruptly and hurried over to a knot of Ladyguard and Lanceguard, Gaalen close behind.

“Please let me through,” the Seeress said before kneeling by a wounded Ladysguard – Lady Eilana Itaericae. She had been stabbed in the belly with its tail spike, but she didn’t appear to be bleeding heavily like the performer. The venom would keep her alive, lingering on in excruciating pain for hours yet, only to die screaming. The gith-gesaarm preferred their prey alive when they fed. Gaalen's cousin Uwen had told him it appeared to be something about the body's reaction to the pain from their venom that they enjoyed. He had a particular hatred for gith-gesaarm.

Kaena knelt on the other side, holding Eilana’s hand. When she glanced at the Seeress a thundercloud passed over her face, but it was quickly gone.

“My Lady,” Eilana said weakly, blood oozing down her cheek. “It…hurts…send me…home…” she pleaded in between her cries of pain.

Gaalen knelt next to her, then looked up at Seeress Meron. “Seeress?” He asked. Seeress Meron’s eyes flicked up to Elder Poliara, standing severe and unforgiving off to the side. Grimly, the Seeress gave the slightest shake to her head.

Gaalen’s heart sank, and he turned to Kaena. “There’s nothing you can do, Kae-“, he stopped. “Lady Commander,” he finished. Slowly, reluctantly Kaena drew her belt knife.

Lady Eilana looked pleadingly at Kaena and tried to pull the knife close. “Please!” Kaena’s arm shook.

Gaalen looked into Kaena’s eyes, into her heart.

"Give me the knife, Lady Commander, I will do it." He knew he was breaking custom. Only the woman's superior officer should handle a situation like this, and if not her at least another woman. But he knew what it would do to Kaena if she had to end Eilana's suffering herself.

"Are you ready?" The dying woman nodded. “May Aomm take you to his house, Lady Eilana Itaericae.”

Gaalen took a deep breath and steadied himself. In an instant it was done.

Gaalen pulled her cloak over her, and one by one they bowed their heads in respect. Kaena’s hand, shaking, gripped Gaalen’s forearm, though her face had gone flat. He knew she was trying to stifle her emotions, but that was not who she was. She was passionate, fiery, and fiercely loyal. She could not help but be affected, no matter how hard she fought it. He would let her grieve, in private. It would be all she was allowed.

As he stood up he saw Elder Poliara watching him with what looked like disapproval on her face. He felt a sense of indignation; she should know better. Irritated, Gaalen dismissed her from his mind.

edit on 3-14-2017 by PrairieShepherd because: Turns out sentences should end with periods. Who knew?

edit on 3-14-2017 by PrairieShepherd because: Whole sentences! Complete thoughts!

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: PrairieShepherd

*waves up at Night Star*

Shep...Okay, I've been refreshing the page...hoping you're going to add more...and now I think you're not...?
That's mean. Icy chip mean.
*sigh*

*opens window and throw donuts*
I'm fine.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

LOL

*splat*

OY! That one had caramel on it! Do you have any idea how hard it is to get caramel out of wool?!?

The scene is just about finished - one more episode. Would you like me to post it for you jacy?

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Argh!!
I'm just logging off to eat supper and you post that??

Nooo! Not now.
Wait...go ahead. (I don't know.)

It's fine. I will read them both (altogether) in the morning. Will give me something to look forward to when I'm up at 2 again, lol. Besides, the night shift will appreciate it.

Have a good night everyone!
jacy

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

LMAO! OK, ok, hang on...then I gotta head home to sick Mrs. Shepherd.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

When I find the little bugger that keeps hitting me with donuts although the coffee shower washed off most of the powered sugar...

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
For jacy and the night shift.

Link to all my story posts in Sheds 11, 12 and 13
(Shed 14) Page 6 - The Cipher
(Shed 14) Page 20 - Kaena Returns
(Shed 14) Page 29 - As Good as a Death Sentence
(Shed 14) Page 32 - A Vow by the Lake
(Shed 14) Page 38 - A Bottle of Ink
(Shed 14) Page 41 - Kaena's Mistake
(Shed 14) Page 54 - A Command Performance
(Shed 14) Page 55 - A Cautious Offer
(Shed 14) Page 59 - The Water Drummer
(Shed 14) Page 65 - Regret
(Shed 14) Page 93 - A Limit of the Gift

Today's episode: The Ambassador

The gith-gesaarm had raided all over the south end of the city. The attack had been one of the largest in recent memory, and the worst Gaalen had lived through: over fifty dead, including eight of the nobility and three Bastion Lords and Ladies. Over one hundred more were missing, but less than ten wounded.

The Queen, thank Aomm the One, was unharmed, as was all of the royal family. He had had to leave Kaena for now, they both knew that. Instead, he and Seeress Meron exited the Shield Hall and encountered Bryn and Taarvaes talking quietly.

“Good to see you two in one piece,” Gaalen said.

“You too,” Bryn rumbled back. “We heard about Lady Eilana. You’ll tell Kaena we’re here if she needs anything, won’t you?”

“Of course. Thank you, Bryn.” Bryn nodded.

“And you, Seeress. I noticed you tending the wounded. You have a healer’s heart, my Lady,” Taarvaes said smoothly.

“Thank you, your Highness. I fear there was little I could do tonight,” she said somberly, dipping her head in deference to the Prince.

A chattering reached Gaalen’s ear from off to the side. Several of the noblewomen were speaking with Ralan, the Mons Rosian ambassador. Fawning over him, more like. He seemed somewhat less urbane than he had before – a rip in his jacket and a cut on the side of his face indicating he had not come out completely unscathed. But he was clearly eating up the attention he was receiving.

“What’s going on there?” Gaalen jerked his head toward the knot of women.

Bryn grunted in disgust.

Taarvaes, however, replied, “He defended my sister from one of them and single-handedly killed it. I watched him fight – he’s actually quite a swordsman even if he is a pompous ass. He knows gith-gesaarm as well. First chance he got he severed its tail barb, then went for the kill from behind to avoid the foreclaws.”

Gaalen watched a moment longer, then dismissed the scene. Turning back to the group, he caught Seeress Meron looking intently at the ambassador, her porcelain jaw set and lips pursed. The blood splatters on her face gave her a dark, almost sinister countenance, and unless he was mistaken, she looked absolutely furious.

“Seeress,” he said softly, “are you alright?”

The woman’s brow softened and her mask returned. “Of course, Lord Captain, I am fine. If you gentlemen will forgive me, I must retire.”

The slender woman turned sharply and departed.

Bryn arched an eyebrow. “She’s, ah, mysterious,” he said. “I thought she might head over there and rip out the fool’s throat. Remind me not to cross her, will you?”

“Perhaps she just dislikes Mons Rosians,” the Prince offered. “Lithelwaite Maarke is right on the border, and I know the Mons Rosians raid from time to time. Seems there are points of the border that have historically been in dispute.”

Bryn just grunted.

They stood for a few moments longer, but soon their duties in the aftermath of the attack took precedence. Gaalen, Joen, Kaena, and Bryn, along with the other Bastion personnel present, made their way to the hardest hit areas to help with the casualties and the cleanup.

~-*^*-~

The only light in Gaalen’s chambers came from the fire. He had just turned the oil lantern out a few minutes ago, and was starting to doze when the latch on his door opened. Alert instantly, he gripped the knife on his bedside table, eyes wide and searching the dark. A feminine shadow emerged into the dim light from the fire.

“Kaena?”

“May I stay?”

“Of course, here,” he pulled aside his blankets.

She stripped to her shift and climbed in with him, laying her head on his chest. Gaalen stroked her hair in the dark and the quiet. She inhaled sharply, and he felt her tears on his skin.

“You couldn’t save her, Kaena, you know that. You can’t blame yourself.”

“I don’t. It’s just…I feel…” she paused. Gaalen waited.

She took a shuddering breath. “I feel nothing, Gaalen. It’s just empty inside. What does that make me? Am I so cold now that I can’t even feel it when friends die? What if all that’s left inside me is a killer?”

“Shh, Kaena,” he said gently, “there is far more to you than a killer, love.” He drank in the scent of her hair, and kissed her forehead softly. She raised her head to look at him and in the dim light he could see her eyes, sparkling with tears.

“It could have been you, Gaalen,” she said, stifling sobs. “Any day I could lose you too. What if..." her voice finally broke. "Gaalen, what if I feel nothing then?” She moved close, one hand on his cheek. “If I can’t feel anything anymore, I may as well be dead. I want to feel.” She began kissing him.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   

The frosting is good for your skin, Jess.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

All in the name of beauty

Yeah...more story!

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   

A special double-header tonight.
Alright, Shep's gotta sign off for a bit. Later peeps!

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
It'll warm up soon.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Thank ya !! Busy as ever. Can't resist to stop in and say hi every now and again...especially when you inadvertently bring up GOT!!!

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I hope Mrs. Shep gets to feeling better soon!

a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.
That picture is absolutely adorable!!!!

a reply to: JinMI
So that’s all we have to do to get you here? GOT? Game of Thrones?

That picture is beautiful!!!!! If we follow the stairs will it take us to the sun? LOL Sounds like you and Mark had fun today! Hope you are enjoying your snow day and keep your lights!

top topics

<< 90  91  92    94  95  96 >>

join